• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    OK I did not understand that others use her property to hunt on also. My mistake! One day I will master this darn Computer!!!

That's part of the problem. Their stands are on THEIR property FACING our property...legally sitting on their property but likely shooting the deer well over onto our side. They do not have permission to hunt our property. One of the guys actually yelled at my husband for walking around at least 200 feet on our side in our woods. This is why we were calling to make them aware of the fact that we may be out in areas they normally do not see us. Too many accidents happen when people see movement and shoot without confirming that it is in fact a deer before pulling that trigger. I figured a phone call would help avoid that scenario. You haven't angered anyone...just had me a bit confused as to what you were trying to express.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by mom45 I was calling neighbors was due to the number of stands we have seen on their property and we wanted to make sure they KNOW
    Letting all shooters know you're in the area.... Still don't see why you'd need training for that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's part of the problem. Their stands are on THEIR property FACING our property...legally sitting on their property but likely shooting the deer well over onto our side. They do not have permission to hunt our property. One of the guys actually yelled at my husband for walking around at least 200 feet on our side in our woods. This is why we were calling to make them aware of the fact that we may be out in areas they normally do not see us. Too many accidents happen when people see movement and shoot without confirming that it is in fact a deer before pulling that trigger. I figured a phone call would help avoid that scenario. You haven't angered anyone...just had me a bit confused as to what you were trying to express.

My sister has similar issues on her land. A$$-Hat nieghbor hunts her property like he owns it. He only has 5 acres and uses hers to expand his chances of getting a deer. His stand faces into her land as there is an obvious deer run. My BIL has found arrows and slug marks on his side of the line. He has let them know if he catch's them it will get ugly.
    We shoot down there and he has complained we are scaring the deer.
    BIL had his land surveyed and marked. He wants to have a range day this weekend....to scare off the deer.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My sister has similar issues on her land. A$$-Hat nieghbor hunts her property like he owns it. He only has 5 acres and uses hers to expand his chances of getting a deer. His stand faces into her land as there is an obvious deer run. My BIL has found arrows and slug marks on his side of the line. He has let them know if he catch's them it will get ugly.
    We shoot down there and he has complained we are scaring the deer.
    BIL had his land surveyed and marked. He wants to have a range day this weekend....to scare off the deer.

This is EXACTLY what we deal with. We have four neighbors on our east boundary that each have five acres with about 100' x 100' of woods on the very back of their property. These woods border ours. Each of those has at least two stands. One of them has 4 stands and a ground blind. All of these stands pretty much face our property and several are not far at all from the property line. They would have to be shooting straight down or have the deer within 6 feet of their stand to have it be on their property when they shoot it. All of them invite others who do not live with them to hunt "their" property. The guy shooting up our trees has 5 acres that his kids and grandkids use to the point of overflowing into ours (until we erected the fence and we still catch them on our side). Another guy behind us has 10 but it is mostly horse pasture and pond so he sets up his tree stand sand ground blind on our back border and invites his brothers to hunt there. So far, he has shot four deer that I know of and recovered two...tracked three of them on our property. The neighbors to the west have more property and do hunt their own as far as we know, but stands are set close to the borders there as well. With the guy behind us tracking all of his less than perfect hits, the deer seem to have all moved on. Hubby and my daughter are out in his stand/fort now and haven't seen a thing this morning. I think I will be glad when deer season is over just because I know I can go out and walk in at least part of my woods again without getting shot at!

Situation with the shooting guy is being addressed and should be getting interesting real soon :):

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is EXACTLY what we deal with. We have four neighbors on our east boundary that each have five acres with about 100' x 100' of woods on the very back of their property. These woods border ours. Each of those has at least two stands. One of them has 4 stands and a ground blind. All of them invite others who do not live with them to hunt "their" property. The guy shooting up our trees has 5 acres that his kids and grandkids use to the point of overflowing into ours (until we erected the fence and we still catch them on our side). Another guy behind us has 10 but it is mostly horse pasture and pond so he sets up his tree stand sand ground blind on our back border and invites his brothers to hunt there. So far, he has shot four deer that I know of and recovered two...tracked three of them on our property. The neighbors to the west have more property and do hunt their own as far as we know, but stands are set close to the borders there as well. With the guy behind us tracking all of his less than perfect hits, the deer seem to have all moved on. Hubby and my daughter are out in his stand/fort now and haven't seen a thing this morning. I think I will be glad when deer season is over just because I know I can go out and walk in at least part of my woods again without getting shot at!

Situation with the shooting guy is being addressed and should be getting interesting real soon :):

I am afraid my reaction to the invited hunting would be a bonfire close to their outfits. If they ask to do this it is one thing. To just shoot into and track your property at will is not right. This is what my sister is dealing with. I spoke with her at length last night. BIL found entrails from a gutting well into their land. His daughters ride 4 wheelers back there. Looks like we will be taking the big guns out for a dance this weekend.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    They all know they better call before tracking, but we get calls EVERY TIME someone shoots one cause it "ran onto your property". The last one was 1/4 mile in on our property in prime hunting area that we did not want to disturb. We took the tractor out last year and cleared a road through the woods near the boundary so now we can drive through in the pickup whenever we want. The DNR now knows where that road is and has permission to drive it anytime they wish. We encouraged it. We are going to be driving it this weekend I think...maybe an early morning jaunt through the woods. When hubby was hunting that side last weekend, he actually had one guy standing up in his stand whistling and waving his arms as if to say "what are you doing over here". Hubby ignored him and just kept wandering around. That takes nerve to yell at someone who is 200' on their side of the property line!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Oh...and the best part of it was that guy didn't even live there. He was an "invtied" hunter.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    They all know they better call before tracking, but we get calls EVERY TIME someone shoots one cause it "ran onto your property". The last one was 1/4 mile in on our property in prime hunting area that we did not want to disturb. We took the tractor out last year and cleared a road through the woods near the boundary so now we can drive through in the pickup whenever we want. The DNR now knows where that road is and has permission to drive it anytime they wish. We encouraged it. We are going to be driving it this weekend I think...maybe an early morning jaunt through the woods. When hubby was hunting that side last weekend, he actually had one guy standing up in his stand whistling and waving his arms as if to say "what are you doing over here". Hubby ignored him and just kept wandering around. That takes nerve to yell at someone who is 200' on their side of the property line!

I would have acknowledged him in a way he would understand and remember....use imagination......:)

Some folks just do not get it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One of the things my sister and I discussed was taking the 4 wheeler out very early and re-marking her property line in plain sight. New stakes and red tree paint. Her line is well marked but a re-mark is a good reason to be out there and may evoke some spirited conversation. I like to discuss issues like property lines/rights with those who are not clear on the subject.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I was consulting with a neighbor regarding his trees a few years ago when some bowhunter on the opposite property line got all irate that we were talking so loudly scaring the deer while he was hunting. I really don't understand the mentality of some people.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was consulting with a neighbor regarding his trees a few years ago when some bowhunter on the property line got all irate that we were talking so loudly scaring the deer while he was hunting. I really don't understand the mentality of some people.

Did you de-fuse the situation by talking louder and stomping around........I would have.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We have surveyor tape hanging all over trees and things on the line, put in some fence posts on the line, have the survey stakes all marked with a t-post next to them and more surveyor tape. When he put the road in from the woods, I was hoping they might think we were going to start excavating and add a house for my daughter or something! They would just LOVE that!! We are thinking a fence is next.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sister has stakes and flags with some trees marked. We were thinking about more stakes and flags and more tree paint. The line is obvious as it is but we just want to make some noise.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Sister has stakes and flags with some trees marked. We were thinking about more stakes and flags and more tree paint. The line is obvious as it is but we just want to make some noise.

I get the noise thing :): I put my loudest ringtone on my cell phone when I am out there and crunch through the leaves and walk on sticks and all sorts of stuff. It's funny how people who can be good neighbors all year long can turn into jerks over deer. They would never think of trespassing any other time of the years, but deer season just changes everything here. Every new house that goes up just adds to the problems. When we bought our property, none of them were here and we bought the wooded property mainly because we like to hunt. Our area we are able to hunt of our own property just keeps shrinking. If it were just them wanting a deer for the freezer, I think I could deal with that even if they were shooting on our side. When you start inviting people out like you have a bunch of prophere you'd see at a paid hunting preserve for the size of our property. If the.y were actually seeing deer, it would sound like a war zone. I am kind of liking that we hear nobody shooting cause that means they aren't seeing anything either! I think the deer are getting smart really fast and are just moving at night as we did see several fresh tracks yesterday.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    If I get a deer early I often will walk the property line during prime times. Which is no small feat considering I have 3 miles of proprty line.

Our boundary is probably about two miles if we walk all of it. The east side is 1/2 mile deep so there and back is a mile. I love to walk it all the time, but hunting season changes my ability to do that safely.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you only have 5 acres how can you invite people out to hunt it. The land I Coyote hunt is 500 plus acres and he only lets a select few on it. We never cross over the lines and will not shoot across on purpose.
    The other place we hunt is 80 acres and we do the same thing there. I am not a deer hunter but my buddies are. On the 500 acre place he will not take a doe early. Only Bucks and there are enough to shoot at. He will take a doe late for meat. His brother shot a doe and he is no longer allowed to hunt there. If you run off the ladies the men will not come around. His neighbors kill anything they see even on his side. He has had to get the authority's involved this year. People suck in general.

Try not to get shot. Wear loud pink and orange....stomp around and use cell phone liberally.....:):

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom