How to check if military gear is stolen?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    For anybody not "in the know" night vision is very available on the commercial market, even a lot of the latest and greatest devices that the military is using. PVS-14 is one of the most popular due to it's relative affordability. Don't believe me? Do a google search. You will find plenty of places to buy gen3 and even gen3+ PVS-14's. That being said, it's nearly impossible to determine if it's stolen military. Often its a judgement call wherein you weigh various factors such as your proximity to a military installation where that item may be pilfered from, any markings on the device, price, & condition etc.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I had a friend when I was in the Army that lost a set of PVS-7Bs during a training incident at night. That cost him $2200 because they prorated them for age. He did get a really nice hard side case out of the deal but not worth $2200. LOL He eventually gave me the case.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Hello, My name is Rolando, Director of Marketing at Night Optics USA. I manage our website and noticed that we got some traffic from this website regarding possible stolen property and thought I would offer assistance.

1. The US Military buys PVS-14's primarily from 2 sources. We are not one of them. If someone is selling you a "Night Optics PVS-14" it is a commercial unit.
    In most ways our PVS-14's are put together better than what the military uses, but the heart of it, the Image Intensifier is not even close to the quality of what the military uses and while we could sell the Mil-Grade tubes, it would be so expensive that the only people buying them would be Police and security groups.

2. If you can get a serial number from this individual we can track it for you. If the seller is different from the name on record, it has either been sold by one of our resellers, sold privately, making it 3rd hand or stolen. Based on that serial, we could tell you when it was build and shipped and who for.

3. If the price is too good to be true leave it alone. There could be a problem with the unit that the seller is not forth-coming about.

4. Is there a data sheet? If there is a tube data sheet with the device that is another indicator that the unit is legit as a stolen unit would not have the data sheet with the device. Its such an investment to get into night vision, many of our users go to great efforts to maintain their products and documentation and those documents are typically stored away some place safe, not with the device.

If you have any questions in general you can always reach out to us. Our office is open Monday-Friday 7:30am-3:30pm PST.

Best of luck to you.
    So, you were monitoring our transmissions? Could you be***, THE NSA??!! HHHMMMMMM???????????

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So, you were monitoring our transmissions? Could you be***, THE NSA??!! HHHMMMMMM???????????

LOL no, they have a very effective web presence team and notice lots of visits via the link in post 7. (some web servers and/or browsers are designed to transmit where the link they are following originated.)

Awesome that he signed up just to give that bit of advice. THAT is customer service... "we know you arent buying our product from us so we have nothing to gain, but here is how not to get screwed buying our product used from somebody else." :yesway:

NightOpt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2014
    Huntington Beach

:):^ ha! We use a realtime traffic tracking service called woopra. It give basic information about what you are doing while on our site. It is used so we know where traffic is coming from and what they are looking for so that we can improve the website and user experience.

NightOpt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2014
    Huntington Beach
    LOL no, they have a very effective web presence team and notice lots of visits via the link in post 7. (some web servers and/or browsers are designed to transmit where the link they are following originated.)

Awesome that he signed up just to give that bit of advice. THAT is customer service... "we know you arent buying our product from us so we have nothing to gain, but here is how not to get screwed buying our product used from somebody else." :yesway:

Thanks.

NightOpt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2014
    Huntington Beach
    I have someone selling a Night Optics PVS-14 that I suspect may be stolen. What would be the best way to see if it was taken from a military base or otherwise?

@Treanor21. I have information on your device, however I cannot reply to PM's until I make 50 posts. If you could shoot me your email in PM or email me here at the office I can get that info to you. rpetit@nightoptics.com

Cheers.

NightOpt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2014
    Huntington Beach
    I checked with our sister company BLACKHAWK! who sell plates. They are restricted to Military, LE and Security personnel only. This also goes for gov or mil surplus. According to our guy here in the office, they are one use items. Once it takes a hit it is essentially trash. Even still its restricted. So to answer your q. Plates are not civilian legal. Sorry.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I checked with our sister company BLACKHAWK! who sell plates. They are restricted to Military, LE and Security personnel only. This also goes for gov or mil surplus. According to our guy here in the office, they are one use items. Once it takes a hit it is essentially trash. Even still its restricted. So to answer your q. Plates are not civilian legal. Sorry.

So being local LE I can possess them?

NightOpt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2014
    Huntington Beach
    Sure. According to BLACKHAWK! you have to be MIL, LE or SEC. There may be a stipulation on whether or not the individual officer can purchase or if it has to come from the CO

Top Bottom