• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Andy - I take back all of the laughs that I have had at your expense in the "twigs and berries" thread... props to you, sir!

steveh - while I believe that I get what you are saying - there are a LOT of people who use the same exact tactic to try to guilt me into paying my "fair share". When all they want is more of my earnings, and neither know nor care what I already give. The rhetoric used by such folks is off the hook - surely you can agree to that? So yes I feel blessed, and yes I donate a ton of it to help those in need. And yes even the "working class" and the poor in America are better off than a lot of other places in the world.

Put it all together and there's a lesson or two in this:
    1) We should be grateful and help all that we can (VOLUNTARILY)
    2) We are better off than just about anyone in the world.
    3) When people like us are asked to change our system to emulate other places' governmental systems, it's a fair question to ask why the heck we should - since our system has created so much more wealth ACROSS our entire population.
    4) How do the people that gripe and moan about a "living wage/higher minimum wage" square with this? Since someone making minimum wage in our country is in the top 5%!

It appears to me that this is a liberal guilt trip that can directly be flipped to support a fiscal conservative argument!

"For 'tis sport to see the engineer hoist on his own petard..."

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Andy - I take back all of the laughs that I have had at your expense in the "twigs and berries" thread... props to you, sir!

steveh - while I believe that I get what you are saying - there are a LOT of people who use the same exact tactic to try to guilt me into paying my "fair share". When all they want is more of my earnings, and neither know nor care what I already give. The rhetoric used by such folks is off the hook - surely you can agree to that? So yes I feel blessed, and yes I donate a ton of it to help those in need. And yes even the "working class" and the poor in America are better off than a lot of other places in the world.

Put it all together and there's a lesson or two in this:
    1) We should be grateful and help all that we can (VOLUNTARILY)
    2) We are better off than just about anyone in the world.
    3) When people like us are asked to change our system to emulate other places' governmental systems, it's a fair question to ask why the heck we should - since our system has created so much more wealth ACROSS our entire population.
    4) How do the people that gripe and moan about a "living wage/higher minimum wage" square with this? Since someone making minimum wage in our country is in the top 5%!

It appears to me that this is a liberal guilt trip that can directly be flipped to support a fiscal conservative argument!

"For 'tis sport to see the engineer hoist on his own petard..."

I agree with 1, 2, 3 and 4. I've made that clear. So we appear to mostly agree, except maybe on the intentions of a website that has shown no political affiliations and has only encouraged charitable giving.

Yet you are giving props to the guy who equates charitable giving with communism?

Please explain.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Yet you are giving props to the guy who equates charitable giving with communism?

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. I got the impression that you were advocating a redistribution of wealth, perhaps by way of laying a big guilt trip on the "haves".

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. I got the impression that you were advocating a redistribution of wealth, perhaps by way of laying a big guilt trip on the "haves".

Wow, definitely not. That is the straw man that a few here are trying to prop up in place of my actual argument.

I'm about as libertarian as it gets.

Unless you believe that voluntary donations fall under 'redistribution of wealth'? If so, then yes. I'm all for encouraging the redistribution of wealth, as long as there is no force involved. Some of us call it 'charity'.

char·i·ty   [char-i-tee] Show IPA
    noun, plural char·i·ties.
    generous actions or donations to aid the poor, ill, or helpless: to devote one's life to charity.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Given the above steve - props to you as well... I am not as quick, perhaps to trust the motives of the website in question. I'll certainly take you at your word that that's what you meant. If so, I doubt that you are as far away from Andy's position as it might have seemed. Again - I mistrust the purpose of that website due to the fact that the redistributionist folks use that very same tactic ad nauseum. And I suspect that that is where the disagreement started. I take no part in that disagreement. I agree with the points he was making. And I agree with the points that you made in posts #62 and #65.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I will have to admit that I've been poisoned to charity by the redistributionist government programs, especially in conjunction with the fraudulent use the "poor" put them to. Don't get me wrong; my mother grew up on welfare off & on, but I have come to resent the poor themselves, not just the guilt tactics outfits like this use to try to tell me I would be a better person for bleeding myself out to provide for these extra people.

Could I do to adjust my attitude? Matter of opinion. Will I? No. I'll spill blood before anything is taken from me to give to someone else, and I'm not feeding it voluntarily into the rape machine we have now. It's mine. If they deserved it they would have it too. Think badly of me if you will; I don't think badly of you.

The measurement is bogus, because the only input is your "income". My income is pretty tiny, but I have assets better part of a million. I have a feeling that would put me better than 12.something%, especially when the parasites are around 15.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    They understand it, they just a website to make you feel like a selfish pig and make a donation to a third-world country

Two months ago my net worth turned positive and I'm married to a dentist. We've been in private practice for four years each as well. Funny how dentists and docs take a long time to get to a positive net worth

A friend of mine is a spinal injury/amputation doc, has not been in long think a few years... Said the pay is great but most will go towards student loans for many years. Says people think doctors are rich but it is the much older ones that have any real money... Because there student loans are paid off. I thi k his loans are near 6 didgets.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Because there student loans are paid off. I think his loans are near 6 didgets.

My wife and I were at $320,000 when we graduated, combined. 100% of that was post-graduate training for medical and dental school. My heart breaks for those in medical school now who are taking these massive loans and facing the uncertainty of socialized medicine

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    $8 could buy you 15 organic apples OR 25 fruit trees for farmers in Honduras to grow and sell fruit at their local market.
    well i dont buy organic , i like my steroids right were they are .....in my apples

$30 could buy you an ER DVD Boxset OR a First Aid kit for a village in Haiti.
    well, i don't like ER can i get the series of Buffy instead ?

$73 could buy you a new mobile phone OR a new mobile health clinic to care for AIDS orphans in Uganda.
    i think iphones are free now with a new $200 a month plan

$2400 could buy you a second generation High Definition TV OR schooling for an entire generation of school children in an Angolan village.
    simply wont do , i want a 3D TV

Top Bottom