• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gvbcraig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Southwest Fort Wayne
    According to the survey I'm number 107,565 richest person, I do not believe this survey, I know there are at least 10 million more people that are richer than me. It is also interesting that it is based on income and not holdings. Whoever put the survey together does not understand wealth.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    They understand it, they just a website to make you feel like a selfish pig and make a donation to a third-world country

Two months ago my net worth turned positive and I'm married to a dentist. We've been in private practice for four years each as well. Funny how dentists and docs take a long time to get to a positive net worth

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I think it's BS. It says I'm in the top .82 percent. If they could of only seen me counting change for gas money last week.

My parents are in the top 14.82 going by this scale. They could pay off all my debts and the debts of my brother and sister and not put a dent in their bank account. So I'm thinking this scale is off a little.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Those people are schmucks, and their measurement based only on income is bogus. They still can't have any of mine. There's an imbalance for a reason.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Wow, guys. The compassion here is heart-warming.

The lower class of the United States is fabulously wealthy relative to a huge percentage of the world population.

There are 1.4 billion people in the world who live on less than $1.25 per day.

The 'poor' folks in our nation live in climate controlled apartments with vehicles, modern appliances and enough food to easily become obese.

Maybe this site's calculations aren't the work of an actuary, but I'm certainly not going to criticize them for encouraging people to be generous to the less fortunate people in our world. If they were advocating more forced government handouts to third world nations then I would take issue with it.

ETA: It's also not fraudulent, they explain here how they calculate it:
    http://www.globalrichlist.com/how.html

I'll agree it's not the best gauge of 'wealth', but it's a very simple starting point.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    It's not a lack of compassion. I'd like to see the chart about what percentage of your income do you willingly donate to charity compared to the rest of the world. My government rapes me with taxes because they think my neighbor needs to profit from my labor. Then I chose to give more because I believe I have been given all that I have.

We are just tired of being taxed into oblivion and having innumerable people ask for more and attempt guilt trips and every turn.

Taxed Enough Already

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Made me feel good about myself, no guilt. I'm in the top .76 % of the richest people in the world. Now I know why I work so hard.

There are children in third world nations who work harder than you for a few cents a day.

Are we really so wrapped up in ourselves that we can't see the gifts that we have been given?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    It's not a lack of compassion. I'd like to see the chart about what percentage of your income do you willingly donate to charity compared to the rest of the world. My government rapes me with taxes because they think my neighbor needs to profit from my labor. Then I chose to give more because I believe I have been given all that I have.

We are just tired of being taxed into oblivion and having innumerable people ask for more and attempt guilt trips and every turn.

Taxed Enough Already

I didn't see it as a guilt trip. I saw it as a correction in perspective.

Sounds like your perspective doesn't need a correction. But some people do.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Sucks for them.

9ra8n.gif

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Wow, guys. The compassion here is heart-warming.

The lower class of the United States is fabulously wealthy relative to a huge percentage of the world population.

There are 1.4 billion people in the world who live on less than $1.25 per day.

The 'poor' folks in our nation live in climate controlled apartments with vehicles, modern appliances and enough food to easily become obese.

Maybe this site's calculations aren't the work of an actuary, but I'm certainly not going to criticize them for encouraging people to be generous to the less fortunate people in our world. If they were advocating more forced government handouts to third world nations then I would take issue with it.

ETA: It's also not fraudulent, they explain here how they calculate it:
    Global Rich List

I'll agree it's not the best gauge of 'wealth', but it's a very simple starting point.

I agree. Go out in the world and you will be suprised at what others consider "poor". Our "poor" are still kings in many parts of the world.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    There are children in third world nations who work harder than you for a few cents a day.

Are we really so wrapped up in ourselves that we can't see the gifts that we have been given?

I was just gonna leave it with my sarcastic remark "sucks for them", but the more I think about it the more I'm irritated.

I've worked since I was 11 years old, sure it wasn't busting stones or sewing clothes in a sweat shop. But it was a job. I didn't ever get an allowance or paid for my chores. I cleaned house, dine dishes, cut the grass along with any other odds and ends that my parents deemed appropriate. If I wanted my own money I was told get a job.

At 11 I became a paperboy, which I did 7 days a week for 2 hours a day. I made 20 bucks a week, also with that I did all my daily chores and went to school. When I turned 16 I left the paperboy business and went into the fast food industry.

I had to make more money if I wanted to drive. I had to buy gas and pay for my insurance. I went from 20 bucks a week to 80 bucks a week. I still did my chores around the house, not for money, but because that's what I was told I had to do.

After high school and I turned 18 I took a job with the railroad. I was never home more then 8 hrs at a time, sometimes I wouldn't get home for 3-4 days. From the age of 18 to 29, I've missed the birth of my nieces and nephews, the death of my mom, dad, uncle, aunts and team parents. I didn't spend birthdays or holidays with my loved ones because I was out of town. Trying to earn a living.

I still work with the railroad, I have what some would call a nice cushy job, but I've done my fare share of sweating, bleeding and crying. The unfortunate reality is, some people have to work harder for less to survive. But I've given a lot to get what I got and I'll never feel qulty for it. I'm proud of what I've accomplished.

So please don't tell me I don't get it, or that people in this world work harder then me.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I was just gonna leave it with my sarcastic remark "sucks for them", but the more I think about it the more I'm irritated.

I've worked since I was 11 years old, sure it wasn't busting stones or sewing clothes in a sweat shop. But it was a job. I didn't ever get an allowance or paid for my chores. I cleaned house, dine dishes, cut the grass along with any other odds and ends that my parents deemed appropriate. If I wanted my own money I was told get a job.

At 11 I became a paperboy, which I did 7 days a week for 2 hours a day. I made 20 bucks a week, also with that I did all my daily chores and went to school. When I turned 16 I left the paperboy business and went into the fast food industry.

I had to make more money if I wanted to drive. I had to buy gas and pay for my insurance. I went from 20 bucks a week to 80 bucks a week. I still did my chores around the house, not for money, but because that's what I was told I had to do.

After high school and I turned 18 I took a job with the railroad. I was never home more then 8 hrs at a time, sometimes I wouldn't get home for 3-4 days. From the age of 18 to 29, I've missed the birth of my nieces and nephews, the death of my mom, dad, uncle, aunts and team parents. I didn't spend birthdays or holidays with my loved ones because I was out of town. Trying to earn a living.

I still work with the railroad, I have what some would call a nice cushy job, but I've done my fare share of sweating, bleeding and crying. The unfortunate reality is, some people have to work harder for less to survive. But I've given a lot to get what I got and I'll never feel qulty for it. I'm proud of what I've accomplished.

So please don't tell me I don't get it, or that people in this world work harder then me.

He's not saying that at all. What he's saying, and I agree with, is we need to pause and be grateful for what we have and realize that not everyone in the world was as lucky as us to be born in a free country with the opportunity to work hard and achieve success in life.

Stopping to realize just how lucky we are is not the same as saying someone else is working harder than you. I realize how lucky I am every day to be born right here in central Indiana to a pair of fantastic parents that taught me a great work ethic, morals and that I am lucky to be here. I am lucky that I learned from my mistakes, I worked hard and achieved what I have, met and married the love of my life and have a great home and loving family. I've worked hard. I've made mistakes. I have had my ass kicked by life a time or two.... or 3 or 4. That doesn't mean I don't realize that I do in fact have it made here.

Top Bottom