• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    .357 just a dab of oil on the ejector and on the pivoting mech. for the cylinder.

my pistol I just lube the slide rails after shooting and leave a little bit of oil on the recoil spring and other mechanism, but I never put extra oil after cleaning as the cleaner I use is an oil/cleaner combo, seems to have worked well for 2,000 some round.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i would recoment a once a month cleaning if they are sitting. When i was a dealer at a show in Kentucky i met another dealer that started a company called strike hold. its the best cleaner and protectant ive seen in my life. you should try to find it. it doesnt leave a oily residue like break free or oils. it dries and is clean to the touch, it conditions and protects your metal components. try to find their web site

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Everyone has a different opinion on how often to clean your weapons. I used to wipe everything down once a month. Now I'm at the point that if I don't shoot it and its been in the safe, I clean it every 6 months. A weapon that has been shot, I endeavor to clean within one day. That's just me. Although I do have a SKS that got neglected. That SKS is setting in the safe and has not been cleaned in almost a year, just wiped down.

A daily carry gun I think you should keep a close eye on, at least once a week. They accumulate a lot of crap from being carried and you want that gun to perform flawlessly. Its easy to become complacent about keeping a carry gun clean but it you shouldn't.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Umm... If your gun is sitting in a safe, you may want to run a swab down the barrel, dust it off, throw A DROP of oil on a patch, run it down the barrel (and through the cylinder on a wheel gun), and just wipe it down with hoppes #9, wipe it off with a towell or a gun cloth, and ur done.

IF you don't carry the gun every 6 months.

For a carry gun, do the above without the oil.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    .A daily carry gun I think you should keep a close eye on, at least once a week. They accumulate a lot of crap from being carried and you want that gun to perform flawlessly. Its easy to become complacent about keeping a carry gun clean but it you shouldn't.

+1 easy to forget and its pretty easy to at least blow the lint out every couple a days!

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    even if i havent shot them mine get cleaned every 3 or 4 months. my EDC i usually clean at least once a month. for the most part though i shoot all of mine pretty regularly so they all get cleaned after the range trip anyway.

samwathegreat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    After about a month of carry, I go over to my buddies house in the country and empty the clip...

It's good for practice, and it's also good to rotate to new/fresh ammo.

Obviously, it's the perfect time to clean it again also.

Top Bottom