ton.jpg

DSC01466.jpg

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I have one magazine for each of my guns and only enough rounds to fill it. I figure in a SHTF scenario when I kill people I will run over there bodies and pick up all of their ammo. Just like in the video games I play to keep my shooting skills up. Think about it, one shooting video game that costs $60, but I can play everyday. While buying ammo and then driving to the range and paying for gas/range fees costs way more than Call Of Duty. Plus its always nice and warm or cool in my house, if I go outside I might get cold or sweat.

Well played, zoglog. Well played.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I always figured that if I had to fire one round a day to stay alive for a year that'd be 365 rounds of ammo. Figure in some missed shots or and round up just to be safe and you're at 500rds. Then I figure I want to be extra sure I have enough ammo so take that 500rds times 2 and the way I see it you should always have 1000 rounds of ammo per gun that is stored away for a rainy day as a bare minimum. For example, if you have two 223 rifles you should have 2000 rounds, not 1000 for the two 223's. I have my ammo supply that I don't touch, and I have my ammo supply that I use at the range.

You may want to look into those plastic ammo cases made by MTM. I have several and if you keep 223 on stripper clips in the cardboard boxes you can fit 1,900 rounds in one of those ammo cans. Keep in mind those plastic ammo cans can be locked also.

Ash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I have found that ammunition is what really makes the firearm dangerous/agressive towards any creature that comes near it. No ammunition for me.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    You can fit your ammo in the safe?
    +1

If all your ammo will fit in the safe then you don't have nearly enough. I've been working on moving my ammo out of my parents house since I moved out and still don't have it all. I grab a little bit each time I go home and have room in the car/truck. If I grabbed it all at once I'd squash my car, and most likely bend the frame on my truck... :D

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have so many, .22 lr, I can't count it all, and, as said before, 500 rounds, per cal., per gun ... that is all, nothing else... except, for reloading supplies... that is all ....

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I don't think my ammo stash will ever outgrow my 22'x26'x9' safe. If it does, it'll be a problem I'll be happy to have.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I disagree

Several people have theorized that being able to put all your ammo in one gun safe means you don't have enough ammo. I, on the other hand, believe if you have room for your ammo in your gun safe, you don't have enough guns! :D

2500 rds of .223? You do need to start reloading or giving somebody your brass. I would have said give it to me but I have something over 3K .223 cases cleaned and ready to be loaded along with the 1200-1500 live rds each of .223 & .204. I'm fairly new to reloading the .17 Fireball so I only have about 800 rds of it. 2K rds each of HMR, WMR, and HM2..... more or less. Ask me again when I get back from South Dakota. :cool:

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    There is no such thing as too much ammo and anyone who tells you different is speaking blasphemy!

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Yes I had room in the safe. 28 gun Cabinet. I'm still filling it up. I need and idea for ammo storage so I can open up the other side to more long guns in the future. Had at least 2500 rounds of .223, 300 9mm, 300 40sw, 3000 22, 300 20 guage game load and 280 243. Roughly. Ammo is like a magnet for me. I get my calculator out and always try and figure out the per shot price and try and keep that low! I need to start loading myself but that will come in time.

Evidently not, you must be lead encased or more ammo would be flying towards you from the shear magnetism.

I store more than that in the safe as emergency backup.:D

I'm not even going to try and count what I have, I got SNAFU SHTF ammo!:laugh:

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    "Your stock could be a lifetime supply. Or, it could be a 1 hour supply on a really bad day. All depends."

Words of the wise, well stated. Buy it like its going out of style, it will most likely still be good when your dead and buried. Look at all the surplus we are still shooting.

exelh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Nashville
    When I was a kid, our house caught fire, guess we had too much, the fire department wouldn't get close to the house, it burnt to the ground.

Top Bottom