How much does one save on reloading your own pistol ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    You have to understand before I start, here; I rarely agree with anyone about anything upon any terms, unless we have had a lengthy, protracted and detailed discussion which often results in simply an agreement to fully disagree (trying my level damndest to be civilized and all), but I do agree with what you said.

The other point, as already mentioned, we do not actually load to save $$$.

We do this because we want to.

The end.

I can totally respect that...not that I necessarily agree with you! ;)

I feel badly for folks who reload ONLY because it saves them money, and do not enjoy the process in any way.

I loaded 40 rounds of reduced recoil 243 Winchester, with 85gr Partition bullets. The Hornady version of this stuff goes for about $35/20 rounds, or $1.75/ea. Buying the 85gr Partitions for about $.60/ea, I reload what I feel is even better ammo (using H4895 powder, tailored for best accuracy) and it costs roughly $.75 per round. My daughter is using this rifle for deer hunting in other states (and hopefully in Indiana next fall), so she's been practicing with it quite a bit. I save a buck every time she pulls the trigger. It won't take long to realize a ROI when you're saving $1 with every shot fired. :)

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Agreed, then.

"I save a buck every time she pulls the trigger. "

That is true brilliance, but YMMV and anyone who thinks this may translate to the rest of the world has a bit to learn about the rest of the world.

One instance of two people agreeing on one simple point does not MAKE an internet reality or law or whatever those hoards of asinine people think.

But, thank you.

:):

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Got here late. I can make .38sp for $.06 if I cast my own bullets. I custom loaded all our cowboy loads for shotgun, because sawed offs kick like mules. I light load my varmint loads because it makes the brass last longer. There are lots of reasons to load your own, cost is only one of them....

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I save around 50% over retail, but as ammo gets cheaper, the savings get thinner, but 9mm would have to get down to $7/box to make me stop reloading

Last edited:

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    For my .40, .380, 9mm calculating everything i've put into it since i haven't reused brass yet is .15 a round or about 8 a box of 50 for all of them. Don't know how i managed that kind of weird. After i reuse some brass it will be down to .11 cents a round. I'm also not making my own bullets or anything buying bulk lead and plated right now.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I save around 50% over retail, but as ammo gets cheaper, the savings get thinner, but 9mm would have to get down to $7/box to make me stop reloading

Now, there's an interesting thought...ammo so cheap we stop loading for it again? I've calculated my 9mm rounds as costing around $.18/ea, due to preferring quality jacketed bullets. If I could buy good quality loaded ammo for less, and it ran through my various 9mm guns well, I would probably keep loading my own. Why? Well, I actually enjoy reloading and like the idea that if things get out of hand again, I'll already have the components I need to keep right on reloading and shooting, just as I've done during this crisis.

harrna02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    columbia city
    I have been reloading handgun ammo since 1982, and I estimate I have saved enough money to buy all the guns I have in my collection. So...reload, and get free guns.
    i would definitely say that it was worth it. i plan on starting to reload in january. i like the idea that my savings in ammo will double my collection in just a few years!

Butternut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    SouthWestern Louisiana
    My first reloads were 45 colt ruger only loads with a Lee Loader. It was the least expensive way that i could get my feet wet. I worked my way up to a hand press and die sets then a bench mounted single stage. You dont have to drop alot of coin to make good ammo. Casting your own is where you see big savings. I couldnt afford to buy all of the 44s and 45s that i shoot if i didnt reload. My way isnt the fastest but it works and its relaxing.

Top Bottom