How much does one save on reloading your own pistol ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think the ROI may be quicker than some think. Let's say I have $400 invested in my equipment(I actually have less). A box of 9mm is $13/50. Some higher, some lower. It costs me $8.50/50 to load my own.

To recoup my investment and get to break even:

I would have to load approximately 89 boxes to get to break even. That's 4450 rounds. I shoot at least 150 rounds per week, not counting any matches or training classes I might go to. At this rate it will only take 30 weeks at most to break even. Throw in 2-3 training classes per year, and 6 matches at 200 rounds each and I have reduced the time to even less.

Anyone in business would love to have an ROI like that.

Plus, as a hobby for me it is fun, relaxing and gives me something to do in the Winter. And I don't have to go around to different stores buying the ammo.:)

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I think the ROI may be quicker than some think. Let's say I have $400 invested in my equipment(I actually have less). A box of 9mm is $13/50. Some higher, some lower. It costs me $8.50/50 to load my own.

To recoup my investment and get to break even:

I would have to load approximately 89 boxes to get to break even. That's 4450 rounds. I shoot at least 150 rounds per week, not counting any matches or training classes I might go to. At this rate it will only take 30 weeks at most to break even. Throw in 2-3 training classes per year, and 6 matches at 200 rounds each and I have reduced the time to even less.

Anyone in business would love to have an ROI like that.

Plus, as a hobby for me it is fun, relaxing and gives me something to do in the Winter. And I don't have to go around to different stores buying the ammo.:)

Yep. But you're getting close to that 10k rouunds per year mark. And you havent made an consideration for your time. I reload and think its worth it. But it takes time and investment. It becomes much more attractive at higher volumes and with more efficient equipment.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yep. But you're getting close to that 10k rouunds per year mark. And you havent made an consideration for your time. I reload and think its worth it. But it takes time and investment. It becomes much more attractive at higher volumes and with more efficient equipment.

Yeah, I don't count the time aspect. I do everything myself with very few exceptions. If I paid myself what I make at work, I am losing money big time. But, I get a sense of accomplishment making things myself and it's not like I could go to work and make the extra money. Unfortunately I get a fixed salary whether I work 50 hours or 80 hours per week.

Good observation on the total number of rounds. I guess I didn't realize I shoot that much. You can't tell by my ability!:)

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I started reloading way back in the 50's or 60's using what today is called a Lee Loader, the one you use a mallet or arbor press. In the mid 70's a salesman gave me a complete kit made by Bair Manufacturing. Today most of my equipment is Lee, RCBS, Dillon, Hornady, Lyman, Sinclair, and any of the other brand names. Most purchased at gun shows over the years as used equipment.

Much of my components have also been purchased in years past, how bout primers for less than $10.00 a thousand?, Powder for $8.00 a lb.?

I cast my own bullets.

45 ACP cost approx. .04 cents a round or less. .223 slightly more as I use match jacketed bullets.

As far as how soon did my equipment pay for it's self? Who knows? I don't worry about how soon my car pays for it's self either. Nor how soon the dinnerware pays for it's self.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Time????????????????

It's a hobby. Do you keep track of your time while you're eating? sleeping? arguing with your wife? Just living?

Depends on why I'm doing it. If the primary goal is to save money and I dont really want it to be another hobby, Yes. I will definitely consider the time and inconvenience vs just paying more for the ammo.

I got in to reloading for exactly that. To save money and shoot more. I only do it to support my shooting. The time I spend doing it takes away from my goal. It has to be worth the effort.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Generally speaking, I save about 50% reloading my own over store bought factory ammo.
    buying in bulk helps a lot.

I don't count my time because it's something I love to do.
    If reloading was taking away time from my job or taking time away from shooting, I might consider it as part of the equation, but that's never the case.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Depends on why I'm doing it. If the primary goal is to save money and I dont really want it to be another hobby, Yes. I will definitely consider the time and inconvenience vs just paying more for the ammo.

I got in to reloading for exactly that. To save money and shoot more. I only do it to support my shooting. The time I spend doing it takes away from my goal. It has to be worth the effort.

So what you're saying is that you need to keep track of the time you sleep and time spent eating so that you are able to work????????????????????

Man I'd hate to live under those rules.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Wolfman is close, I just save a touch more by melting wheel weights which takes longer.

I buy wheel weights and smelt them down too. I don't think it takes any longer to reload with hard cast, just takes some time to smelt then cast into bullets. My smelt pot holds about 300 lb of lead after you skim out the steel, zinc, and clips, so if I have enough weights on hand, I can turn out close to 1,000 lb of finished ingots in a day.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I feel a little sorry for the guys who ONLY reload to save money or so they can support their shooting habit...they're really missing the boat, if ya ask me.

A lot of guys like to golf or go fishing, but you almost never hear them talk about ROI for those endeavors, because it's highly unlikely you could ever justify either activity, on a cost/benefit basis.

Yet, for some reason, these same guys will second-guess the hobby of reloading, based on how quickly they generate a return on investment. I guess it's because you CAN save money reloading, so they feel compelled to measure how far "ahead" they are, versus buying factory ammo?

Anymore, I sometimes wonder if I'm out there shooting just to empty a few cases, so I can reload 'em! :) It's called a "hobby" for a reason; if you don't enjoy reloading, for its own sake, then you're going about it all wrong. Where else in life can you take four piles of stuff and turn it into beautiful rows of productivity, all in the comfort of your own home? Why sully that activity by attempting to quantify it with some kind of cost/benefit analysis?

How much does one save by loading their own pistol ammo? That's not the question you should be asking, but it's somewhere between 40% and 100% or more, based on what cartridge you're reloading and how you go about it. The REAL question is: Can you enjoy reloading as a relaxing pastime? If not, stick to playing golf and standing in line to buy your ammo at LGS prices.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I feel a little sorry for the guys who ONLY reload to save money or so they can support their shooting habit...they're really missing the boat, if ya ask me.

A lot of guys like to golf or go fishing, but you almost never hear them talk about ROI for those endeavors, because it's highly unlikely you could ever justify either activity, on a cost/benefit basis.

Yet, for some reason, these same guys will second-guess the hobby of reloading, based on how quickly they generate a return on investment. I guess it's because you CAN save money reloading, so they feel compelled to measure how far "ahead" they are, versus buying factory ammo?

Anymore, I sometimes wonder if I'm out there shooting just to empty a few cases, so I can reload 'em! :) It's called a "hobby" for a reason; if you don't enjoy reloading, for its own sake, then you're going about it all wrong. Where else in life can you take four piles of stuff and turn it into beautiful rows of productivity, all in the comfort of your own home? Why sully that activity by attempting to quantify it with some kind of cost/benefit analysis?

How much does one save by loading their own pistol ammo? That's not the question you should be asking, but it's somewhere between 40% and 100% or more, based on what cartridge you're reloading and how you go about it. The REAL question is: Can you enjoy reloading as a relaxing pastime? If not, stick to playing golf and standing in line to buy your ammo at LGS prices.

I generally agree. I tried to avoid reloading for a long time as ammo prices have gone up. As a relatively high-volume shooter prices have gotten to the point where I felt compelled to do it. I expect to save a significant amount reloading. Hopefully enough that I wont have to reduce shooting volume due to price increases. I'm doing itt because I love to shoot, not because I like to reload.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I know an retired older man that has not been able to shoot very well for years. He still loves to reload. Whenever I see him at the range he invites me to try out some of his arms. He then spends the next hour presenting me different loads of ammo. "Try these", "here are some new ones", "here, shoot these up". After I shoot up all his ammo, he counts the brass out and starts talking about how busy he will be getting more stuff loaded. Reloading truly is his hobby. Cost never even entered into the conversation.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I know an retired older man that has not been able to shoot very well for years. He still loves to reload. Whenever I see him at the range he invites me to try out some of his arms. He then spends the next hour presenting me different loads of ammo. "Try these", "here are some new ones", "here, shoot these up". After I shoot up all his ammo, he counts the brass out and starts talking about how busy he will be getting more stuff loaded. Reloading truly is his hobby. Cost never even entered into the conversation.

My Grandparents lived in Alabama and had Pecan trees in their yard. On one of our family vacations my Dad asked for some of the pecans to take home. Permission was given to take some. My Dad got a pillow case full of them still in the hull and left the shelled out bags they had on the shelf. My Grandad told my Dad to put them back and get the shelled out ones. My Dad thought he was doing the right thing and not being greedy. Shelling them was something that my Grandparents would do after dinner in the cool of the evening together on the front porch. The older I get the more this makes sense to me.

pike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    sounthern
    I haven't bought factory ammo in so long that I would have no clue how much I save. When reloading you can tailor the load to your gun or to the task at hand. For example I can load my 357 rifle to be effective for small game or deer based on how I load. To me that versatility is hard to put a price on. If time is an issue there is a good deal of it involved but I find it enjoyable. I also find it rewarding to hunt with a load I developed. Not all of these factors may be related to your situation it is just my opinion.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I don't necessarily spend any less as a result of reloading but I sure as heck shoot more often than I would otherwise.

^Truth!^

I probably reload at < 1/2 the cost of "new" ammo. But I easily shoot 2x as much as I did before I was a reloader, so definitely haven't come out "ahead" in terms of saving money. But, I have been able to shoot more for the same $$$ invested, so that is worth it in my book.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Now that is neat.

BrentC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Louisville
    I was reading a thread and someone posted that for someone starting out, if they wanted to go immediately to a Dillion Progressive feeder like a 550 or 650 and have to buy all the stuff to go with the press, they will pass up $1,000 quickly and may approach $1,500 when you consider the cost of the press ($450 - $550) dies for the press, caliber conversion kits, tumblers, media separator, manuals, caliper, scale, deburring tool, bullet puller, a bench or supplies to make one, flip tray, primer pick up tubes, case gages, tools, bullet puller etc. etc.. So is preparing one's self to spend $1,500 a realistic budget?

I know some will say don't start out progressive, start out with single stage but it seems to me you would get a single stage and in six months want a progressive and regress getting the single stage.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I was reading a thread and someone posted that for someone starting out, if they wanted to go immediately to a Dillion Progressive feeder like a 550 or 650 and have to buy all the stuff to go with the press, they will pass up $1,000 quickly and may approach $1,500 when you consider the cost of the press ($450 - $550) dies for the press, caliber conversion kits, tumblers, media separator, manuals, caliper, scale, deburring tool, bullet puller, a bench or supplies to make one, flip tray, primer pick up tubes, case gages, tools, bullet puller etc. etc.. So is preparing one's self to spend $1,500 a realistic budget?

I know some will say don't start out progressive, start out with single stage but it seems to me you would get a single stage and in six months want a progressive and regress getting the single stage.

You are very close on the cost. I am running a Dillon XL650. I started out on a lee Turret and graduated up within a couple months to the Dillon. I have closer to $2,000 to $3,000 in my setup but I have about $1,500 in dies and conversion kits for the many calibers I load.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

Even if you do go the turret press in the end, its always a good idea to have a single stage press around for things that the progressive can't do as well, or for when you don't want to completely change over the entire progressive just to load up a few test rounds.

Top Bottom