How much ammo do you carry in your vehicle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    2 spare mags for the xdM, 1 box 12 gauge shells in the BOB in the trunk.
    Oh, and about 1000-1500 rounds of .22lr in a Wal Mart bag in the back seat that I keep forgetting to bring in, so if I'm ever pulled over, the news can say "...local man with no criminal record was pulled over today with more than a THOUSAND rounds of ammunition in his vehicle. More on this shocking story as it develops."

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So when/if you have multiple attackers wearing heavy clothing in the winter then what? or if your mag fails?

Indeed, even naked in the summer time, no one (NO ONE) can accurately predict how many rounds it will require to solve a given problem.

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    i typically only take the one in the gun. however, if i will be gone for an extended time i will take 8 mag plus the one in my 1911.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Ayoob addressed this very question in this month's issue of Backwoods Home Magazine. He likes to carry two handguns with two boxes of carry ammo for each when travelling.

I usually carry one or two handguns and a reload for each. If I'm leaving the county I throw a shotgun and a couple of extra magazines of pistol ammo in the car. Shotgun has 5 in the tube and 4 on a sidesaddle. I also have a hunting box in the back with various shotgun ammo.

Last edited:

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    What is the message if, say, someone, a random someone, purely hypothetical, mind you . . . that someone typically carried more ammunition on their person than most of the responders here carry in their vehicles?

You carry more than some are ABLE to carry in their vehicles. :)

Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    Funny, I recently cleaned out my trunk and organized all my ammo. I'd estimate I had about 20 rounds of 12ga 00 and 50 of birdshot and about 10 slugs. I had 40 rounds of .308 and about 100 rounds of 7.62x54r. I had probably 500 rounds of .22 and about 150 rounds of .40 with about another 50 of those being jhp. I also had a box of .25 from a gun I sold about 4 years ago and about a dozen rounds of 9mm jhp for my mom's Glock which I don't even remember how I got.

So basically, my trunk was literally an ammo dump.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    So when/if you have multiple attackers wearing heavy clothing in the winter then what? or if your mag fails?
    I have never had a mag fail in my 1911s. I should add I do NOT carry a weapon I'm not very familiar with in all aspects.
    Since it's cold now and I'm wearing more than just a long sleeve shirt I'm carrying 2 extra mags in my shoulder rig.
    It's even worse than that. I feel naked without the 1911 on my hip so I have one in a shoulder rig and another on my hip. I guess that gives me 34 rds of .45acp on me and I put 50 rds in my console "just in case".

Top Bottom