How much ammo do you carry in your vehicle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I do a fair amount of driving around the state and think more and more about needing supplies in my car, etc.

How much ammo do people carry in their car for normal business and driving while in Indiana for day or overnight trips? Is this different than what people carry in their BOB's in general?

Thanks for the ideas and information...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I dont think that you need more ammo for an overnight trip than you need for a five minute walk to your local store.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    i always carry about two mags full but the amount depends on the weapon im carrying if its the revolver 5 in the gun and one speed loader (its a 5shot sp101 ruger) if its the glock 19 two 15 round mags, right now its a p64 7rounds in the weapon with one extra 6 round mag... really just enough to stop a threat and a have some on hand as a reserve its for self defense im not going to war

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    Glock 36 with a extra mag in the console, and another 20 round box in my truck bag. I have been thinking about putting a long gun behind the seat of my truck, either a shotgun or my under folder AK.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Well I travel a lot for work and generally keep my range bag in the trunk. Contains 1-200 rounds each of 9mm, .45, 7.62x39 and 5.56. As well as other odds 'n ends ammo including whatever is left of my current brink of .22.

It takes up almost no room and tucks back into the back of my trunk. If you are talking about it being needed for an emergency/BOB accessory I prefer the idea of a range bag pre-packed with what you would want to load into your car. Then load the bag into your car or in an easy to reach location in your house.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    10+1 HP's in my EDC Ruger SR9c on strong side
    17 HP's in spare mag with flashlight on weak side
    6+1 HP's in EDC Ruger LCP in back pocket or thigh pocket
    6 HP's in spare mag front weak side pocket

2 - spare 17 round mags in mag holder usually clipped to the door pocket of my truck or clipped on outside of EDC bag.

50 FMJ 9mm's in EDC Bag
    50 HP 9mm's in EDC Bag
    25 HP 380's in EDC Bag
    100 22lr in EDC bag, never know when you might have to trade your way home...

Otherwise if I am going out of town and there is an even slight chance I will be able to go to a range then I throw in more of everything, guns, ammo, range gear, etc.. Some guys go to pole clubs when they are away on business I go to ranges..

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    My EDC has 17+1 in it, with a spare mag in the console, and my get home bag has a box of 25 Corbon +p JHP.

I figure if I need more than 60 rounds, I should not be where I'm at that time.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    "Enough" is a vague term, but

we all know what it means. Shotguns carry butt-stock cuffs on both sides. Carbine same. But AK- has a pair of the 100-rd dual-snail magazines. I've never been able to get more that 80-85-rds in the thing. Handguns get a counter-balancing weight of magazines on off-side carry. I am remiss on my Get-Home-Bob, as it sits in the garage being repacked for winter. But the ammo-supply in it dies not change with the weather.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Different options of what my normal is....

FNP45 with 2 mags and 29 rounds.

1911 with 2 mags and 17 rounds.

My truck almost always has a shotgun or .22 in it.
    with shotgun its 5 in the tube, 6 in shell carrier. and i usually have a small pouch with 10 assorted shotshells in it.

.22 has loaded tube of 10 and a box of 50.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I usually keep my range bag and ammo in the car... I never know when the opportunity to go shooting is going to come up... that said:

700-800 rounds 9mm
    2000-3000 rounds .22LR
    around 75 rounds SD/HD 9mm

19+1 in the XDm 9
    19X2 with spare mags

7+1 in the PF9
    7 with the spare mag...

Granted I don't always have my XDm with me.... don't like leaving it unattended in my work parking lot.

once I get my butt in gear, and extra $ I'll be doing a Mini-Draco SBR, so then I'll probably keep around 160 - 200 rounds of 7.62 in the car with me as well.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    my $.02....I think it's impractical to haul much more than you can carry on your person.
    Unless you plan to stick with the car when it dies, you'll just have to leave it for the next
    guy when you decide it's time to hoof it.
    I think a practical amount of .223 or 9mm would be less than 300 rnds. total,
    maybe 2/3 that for .45 +.308. Add that to your GHB and see if you can haul it all day.

Top Bottom