• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You can definitely do it with one shotgun if you get one with removable chokes. Like gstanley up above, I went many years using a Remington 1100 for hunting everything under the sun and did shoot trap with it. I had 3 barrels for it but I didn't have Remchokes as it was an older one. Really you would only need an extra barrel if you are going to deer hunt, but even that isn't a have to.

TheDoaner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Southern IN
    I own several shotguns but I've only shot 3 of them in the last ten years. I have a Benelli Super Black Eagle with a Rhino choke that I use for ducks and turkey. It sometimes gets to shoot clays or doves as a warm-up to waterfowl season. I have a Beretta 686 that I like to shoot clays and upland birds with. But my 870 Special Purpose Mag with a rifled slug barrel has been my deer gun for 20 years.

genehopkins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    If I could only own one shotgun it would be a Remington 870 in 12 gauge. No doubt the most versatile and dependable shotgun I have ever dealt with. And you can add extra barrels as you determine need.

Second choice would be a Mossburg 500. Less money and not quite as nice looking but very dependable and my brothers is a tack driver wi slugs.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Interesting, I have shot trap with my Beretta A302 and served as my primary bird and small game gun. If you are into water fowl may not suit your purpose.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I would say one fine grade 12 ga. O/U with an extra rifled slug barrel. Since no one makes rifled slug barrels for fine O/U shotguns. I guess you need two. Of course I prefer a light, fast 20 gauge O/U for skeet or sporting clays courses, so I guess you need three. Duck hunting is a lot better with a magnum 12 gauge that can take 3-1/2 inch shells, I guess you need four. Then there is that sweet little 28 gauge double from Merkel that would be ideal for dove hunting, I guess you need five.

I better stop thinking about it, or I'll figure a reason to buy another shotgun

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    A Remington 1100 with several barrels will do the trick from HD to clays to upland game to deer. I prefer a 20 gauge. On the other hand lots of shotguns are a nice thing to behold. The next problem is what to do with all the shotguns. I think you will work it out.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Do you have to have a slug barrel for shooting slugs?

No. But you will get the most accuracy from a fully rifled slug barrel and sabot type slugs. The second best choice is an improved choke and Federal trueball slugs. I only have 5 shot shotguns. The .410 single I got for Christmas at age 15. A 20 ga single I bought for just in case, a 16 ga single that was my uncles, and 2 870s. I have 4 barrels for the .870s. There are other shotguns I have thought about buying, but the 870s will do everything I can think of as far as a shotgun goes.

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    shooting trap with an 870 is an excellent choice.
    A lot of trap shooters start with anything they can get their hands on and graduate to more trap specific guns ( Beretta citori, Kreighoff, kohler, guerini, and the list goes on as do the prices of these guns.)
    The problem with shooting trap with a pump is shooting doubles. Since the rules of ATA are so specific and unbendable, you are not loaded until it your turn to shoot. You get one shell for each single bird and two shells for doubles which makes a pump gun virtually useless.

iF you haven't purchased yet, you might want to start with a Franchi (7 to 9 hundred, a mossberg 930, 6 to 8 hundred, or a Remington 1100 another 8 to 1000 gun.

Run the pawn shops, look for a mechanical decent semi auto to start with. O/U's are very popular because they only hold 2 therefore the temptation to load the whole mag is eliminated.

Good luck and have fun

Oh, shoot trap with a 12, skeet with a 20

benjaminlee06

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Downtown Indy
    Right now there are really great deals on shotguns at bud's guns, cheaper than dirt and kygunco. A stevens 350 with ghost rings is a great starter for HD and if you are real tight on money just get a maverick 88 - they are back in stock and the barrels are easy to swap out, along with the ability to change the choke. I agree with everyone that swapping parts in and out for different uses is a pain. The mossberg 500 I have comes stock with the ability to put a rail and scope on for deer season, which is great, but if you are zeroed in it would suck to have to break the thing down for anything else.

FestusHaggen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Haha, the marketers have really done their job, having us believe we need to shell out big bucks for specialized equipment for every little thing. Some good advice here though for those just starting out. One gun, couple barrels, hand full of chokes. The main thing is get out and shoot. Stay in practice and you'll hit most everything with anything.(almost) Most fun I have is beating my buddies with "old reliable" after they just spent a ton on equipment. But I might be just a little "old school". Don't get me wrong, this old dog likes a new trick, but shoot awhile first, then make an informed decision on what you want.

Top Bottom