How many of you just dont care about 300blk?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I bought my Whisper the same year JD Jones introduced it, for me the cartridge is a blast to shoot suppressed, don't think I even have any super sonic ammo loaded right now. Almost all ammo is loaded with 220 gr Sierra MatchKings.

I think few here truly do not understand the HUGE differences between Whisper & Blackout and why Whisper is the clear winner. LOL
    I have a 700 chambered in it...I had it built only because I bought bazillions of 147 gr pulls years ago from Talon, along with old pulldown powder that used to be 4 bucks a pound it makes for cheap cheap shooting.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I do! Had an AR around with a bum barrel. It went back to the factory on their dime for a replacement. I paid the diff and got a heavy blackout barrel installed and sent back. Glad I did and am looking forward to smoking some pig meat. I only shoot supers and boy is there a difference between 223 and 300.

I enjoy tinkering and the wildcat type of mystique so the loading process is fun for me. Not a gun I plan on shooting a lot since bullets are like twice as much as 223.

Nicu757

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 2, 2013
    Brownsburg
    Talking about ballistic advantage I had the Clint build my 8.3 inch SBR 300 and could not be happier it runs supers and subs perfect. The best part is that when suppressed there is no gas in the face. Clint did a awesome job worth every penny to have him put it together for me. I used his bolt carrier to!!!
    View attachment 42660

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    I have looked at it, and concluded for me that it is about ammo cost/availability. The .223 is a lot cheaper and more plentiful. If I were looking for another AR platform in another round I would look at the 7.62x39. Why - because the ammo is cheap and plentiful. Given the high cost of ammunition, I would prefer to stick with what is affordable, and in the end is also effective.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I have two of them. The are for different things than the 223 for me. They are what they are and I am not a huge fan of them. Just something different to have.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've got an AR, an old Colt built gun from the 70s and it does all I would expect it to do. Nothing wrong with new calibers if people want to experiment, but I'll just keep mine the way it is.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I guess I should join the "I don't care" group. I've had a Noveske 300 blk barrel & ammo for years and have never assembled or shot it.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    You should get it together Hop!

If you reload there isn't much of a reason not to love it IMO. I just loaded up 600 rounds or so the other day. I can load them for 25 cents a piece counting my brass into that. Without counting brass (you form from old 223 or stop after first loading) it's 15 cents a round... You just can't beat that IMO, and it's the most fun gun I have to shoot!

jmpupillo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    NWI
    I don't really get it.

It is good for subsonic ammunition, but the same can be done with 7.62x39 if it were given the same amount of hype. 300blk just tries to fill a niche that is already taken by 7.62x39 and 6.8spc IMHO

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    If you are already invested in the AR platform in 5.56 then 300BLK is just a barrel change. With the 6.8 its Bolt and barrel and mags. For the 7.62x39 in a AR that is a whole different animal.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    If you are already invested in the AR platform in 5.56 then 300BLK is just a barrel change. With the 6.8 its Bolt and barrel and mags. For the 7.62x39 in a AR that is a whole different animal.

That's true. My 7.62x39 AR upper has been a pain in my @#$% to get running, plus more money that I wanted to spend on it. Even then, it still isn't that reliable. My .300 BLK upper on the other hand just plain works. I run both of them on my Sendra M16 registered receiver. .300 BLK subsonic, full auto, with a suppressor is pretty entertaining. The reason I don't get it out more is that the ammo is still too darn expensive (I don't reload). So, I just mostly shoot 5.56 and now .45 ACP.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I have read quite a bit on the .300 and would really like to have an upper in that caliber for my SBR. IMHO, a short barrel is the only reason to go to the .300 if you don't run a can. The ability to run every single piece of a 5.56 weapon except the barrel makes good sense. Having the same 20 or 30 rounds in an ordinary AR mag is a plus too. The round does hit harder at SBR engagement distance, but the info I've read points to an improvement that is not really worth the increased ammo cost. If .300 ammo was priced closer to the 5.56 was there would be no reason to stick with the 5.56. I can see how the round is gaining popularity, I want one too, it's just not yet at a price point where I'm ready to jump in. Working on building a .308 AR right now anyway.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Here's why I have never assembled my 300 blk...
    I already have a suppressed 9mm SBR.
    I already have a suppressed 5.56mm SBR.
    If I want something that goes a bit farther and stays subsonic I can use my .458 SOCOM upper (I have a suppressor that will fit it too).

I should probably sell the MK18 5.56mm upper and stick with the 300.

I'm just too confused.

:runaway:

Top Bottom