How many of you just dont care about 300blk?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I have an interest in it, but I also have a lower already Form 1'd and an AAC SDN-6 waiting on me in NFA purgatory. If you want to run a rifle caliber through a short barrel or shoot something suppressed, I don't know of a more efficient round to do so.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    The 300 black out isn't new. It is just a rework of the old 300 Whisper that was developed by J. D. Jones for the military. It was intended to be used out to 200 Yards suppressed with very heavy bullets in a M 16 lower.

I used it in IHMSA events till I found out that the 30 Herrett worked better. So I sold he 300 Whisper and used the 30 Herrett that I still have. It beats the 300 Whisper by 200 to 300 FPS in a 10" barrel. It is also very accurate.

I have had no interest in running a 30 caliber bullet in a AR. I have no interest running one suppressed. I think part of the charm of a gun is the noise it makes.

I am at this time building a 6mm X 45. If that works out I will build a 6.5 next. I don't see a 30 caliber in my future.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    all the hipsters run .300blk with a .45gap on their hip

IMAG0453_zpsffb22c3d.jpg

Oh, yeah. I'm a hipster.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I have an interest in it, but I also have a lower already Form 1'd and an AAC SDN-6 waiting on me in NFA purgatory. If you want to run a rifle caliber through a short barrel or shoot something suppressed, I don't know of a more efficient round to do so.

What he said. We should hang out more we think a lot alike

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have no use for it myself so basically don't care. I like to stick to the mass produced military calibers myself. But that's just me and if 300 blk is your cup of tea then I'm not going to put you down for it. If you've got a 300 blk and love it then rock on! I'll just rock on with something else!

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    If you want to run a rifle caliber through a short barrel or shoot something suppressed, I don't know of a more efficient round to do so.

+1. If you want short and genuinely quiet, and you could add in maintaining reasonably good terminal ballistics and the flexibility of the AR platform...

ETA: Oops, but I just realized that this is a thread for those who just don't care about it, so I'll just shut up and move along. Have fun.

Last edited:

Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I tend to agree with the OP. I think it is a fad round, with a cult following. What I have noticed here on INGO, is something comes along, examples: Sig P238, then the 938, 300 black out, Glock 42. A couple people on here buy said item, start a thread, then everyone joins in and jacks each other off, about what a great product it is. Then more members buy it, start their own threads, then a review comes along, more jacking each other off. Then after all this great press, in the case of 300 blk. out, ammo is nearly impossible to find. Then someone puts their baby up for sale in the classifieds, but before that they start a "what's it worth" thread, then more jacking that guy off, telling him it's worth all the gold that MR. T wears.
    Then before you know it, there are several of them up for sale, and it's onto the next "hot" item.

Lots of mental masturbation here on INGO. Just my opinion of course, and YMMV.

that's funny. And spot on too :) Btw. I don't care about it. Fwiw

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I still just have never been interested in building a 300blk AR, or having any 300blk firearm in any case. Does anyone else feel like I do?
    But in the future if you do, the nice thing is you wont have to buy 1-2k worth of mags to support the platform. Especially if everything you own now will be considered Preban or contraband in the future. .308 mags will be back over $100 each.

My next deer rifle is a .300blk SBR with and without a can. Little bit more ooomph while hunting if I happen across wolves, bears or even humans, but I am not lugging around a .308. I think if you go into it without reloading it, you will be broke fast. It also does not replace the .223 for our family, just adds some diversity to a platform we run. Plus when I decided on it 2 years ago, other family members did their research and went with it too so we share expenses on the reloading set ups. Now I am the only one has yet to buy one and I was the early adopter of it! We make our decisions slow and wait and to see what shakes out.

Last edited:

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    But in the future if you do, the nice thing is you wont have to buy 1-2k worth of mags to support the platform. Especially if everything you own now will be considered Preban or contraband in the future. .308 mags will be back over $100 each.

My next deer rifle is a .300blk SBR with and without a can. Little bit more ooomph while hunting if I happen across wolves, bears or even humans, but I am not lugging around a .308. I think if you go into it without reloading it, you will be broke fast. It also does not replace the .223 for our family, just adds some diversity to a platform we run. Plus when I decided on it 2 years ago, other family members did their research and went with it too so we share expenses on the reloading set ups. Now I am the only one has yet to buy one and I was the early adopter of it! We make our decisions slow and wait and to see what shakes out.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought 300 BLK wasn't a legal round to use out of a rifle for deer.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    If a cartridge should get the marketing of the year award, the .300 Blackout is it. All this has going for it is for people who like shooting suppressed. That's it. It's over hyped, over sold, and ammunition is way too expensive compared to .223 / 5.56 MM. I'm not saying it's a "bad" round, it just isn't the game changer it's been advertised to be. Like many, I have zero interest in suppressed weapons, and there is nothing this cartridge will do that any 7.62 X 39 MM AK won't.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    If a cartridge should get the marketing of the year award, the .300 Blackout is it. All this has going for it is for people who like shooting suppressed. That's it. It's over hyped, over sold, and ammunition is way too expensive compared to .223 / 5.56 MM. I'm not saying it's a "bad" round, it just isn't the game changer it's been advertised to be. Like many, I have zero interest in suppressed weapons, and there is nothing this cartridge will do that any 7.62 X 39 MM AK won't.

It has a lot going for it.

A. You can shoot full power and subsonics without changing the gas system.

B. It bridges the gap between a small fast 22 bullet with little recoil and a large 308 bullet with tons of recoil. You get a 308 bullet with .223 recoil.

C. You can SBR a 300blk without losing much velocity unlike a SBR ar15 which can become a really noisy .22

D. You only need to change your barrel and gas system to run one. Everything else is the same... Nothing more to buy.

E. Its based on the AR platform so it's more accurate than an AK.

F. You can't buy sub sonic 7.62 that'll operate an AK bolt.

G. Going between suppressed an unsuppressed 223 on an AR requires serious gas/spring/bolt finesse (example : Noveskes switch block)

H. A suppressor on an Ak is nothing more than a long flash hider.

I. Subsonic 223 won't cycle a bolt and you''d be better off with a .22 anyway

J. You have 17% more energy at the muzzle than an AK.

K. You can run them accurately out to 1000m (much like the 7.62 bullet only on better platform for accuracy)

L. Bullet drop out to 500m is almost the same as a 223 but it carries way more energy.

M. A 300blk round carries the same energy out to 700m as a 223 round out to 500m...

The main drawback is ammo expense. If you're not going to run a suppressor or SBR it (or both) then it probably doesn't make sense. If you want to suppress a big round it can't be beat.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    vitamink said:
    K. You can run them accurately out to 1000m (much like the 7.62 bullet only on better platform for accuracy)

A 16" 5.56 shooting Mk262 will ballistically outperform any load from a 16" 300 AAC at those ranges...and just because somebody has shot it at 1000yd doesn't mean it was 1. designed for that or 2. does it competently.

Not even Mike Mers, the biggest Blackout koolaid slinger in existance, would make that kind of claim.

Top Bottom