How many of you just dont care about 300blk?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I tend to agree with the OP. I think it is a fad round, with a cult following. What I have noticed here on INGO, is something comes along, examples: Sig P238, then the 938, 300 black out, Glock 42. A couple people on here buy said item, start a thread, then everyone joins in and jacks each other off, about what a great product it is. Then more members buy it, start their own threads, then a review comes along, more jacking each other off. Then after all this great press, in the case of 300 blk. out, ammo is nearly impossible to find. Then someone puts their baby up for sale in the classifieds, but before that they start a "what's it worth" thread, then more jacking that guy off, telling him it's worth all the gold that MR. T wears.
    Then before you know it, there are several of them up for sale, and it's onto the next "hot" item.

Lots of mental masturbation here on INGO. Just my opinion of course, and YMMV.

That's a lot of circle jerkin :laugh:

Actually, I make mine out of .223/5.56 brass that has neck or shoulder damage and is unusable otherwise.

I wouldn't have tried it initially but as the only thing it required was a barrel and set of dies, it was a cheap try. And it turned out I really liked it. It's far cheaper to shoot as I cast my own projectiles, and it's extremely versatile, something I appreciate in any caliber.

I loaded 200 rounds of 556 last night and doing so, it crossed my mind to take fubar 556 and make it into 300blk. But some people taking good 556 brass and mutilating it, ehh. Good idea on casting your own bullets

Seems like with 300blk, people made sure it got the press they wanted it to, not like the 300 whisper or 30 Remington AR, and the 30 R-AR was a good little round. With the Blackout it got a lot more press, media reviews, and I think the name had something to do with it.....blackout...so dangerous. Plus the whole "buddy" system that Gunner mentioned

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I loaded 200 rounds of 556 last night and doing so, it crossed my mind to take fubar 556 and make it into 300blk.

My first few rounds I used factory brass, then got tooled up with the $40 HF chopsaw and started making it, then I realized that of the thousands of .223/5.56 brass I picked up every few months, a few percent of those had to be scrapped because of damage and about half of the scrap could be made into BLK brass. Then I found that after I fired the .223/5.56 brass out of my AR a couple of times a lot of it had neck splits, which lends itself well to being cut off and made into BLK brass.

It appeals to the miser in me to get further use out of it. I have many tens of thousands of .223/5.56 brass piled up but I can't bring myself to throw out one piece if I can still use it. I usually make a few lots of a hundred or so at a time and just rotate in new ones a few at a time in each lot as they are either lost or damaged. So since I have started using only damaged brass to make BLK brass, I have managed to accumulate a couple thousand so far.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    What happened is there are in reality 3 of the exact same offerings that at so similar that none of them really have a chance. If they had just stuck with 7mm TCU it might have taken off a bit. All 3 and they are dead. No other maker wants TC or some other makers name on a cartridge so the TCU was sunk.

300 blackout good for black gun people as the name implies.
    300 whisper most likely the coolest name for the surpressed crowd.
    7mm TCU the oldest and the only one I have a contender barrel for.

The final two were designed by JDJ or at least brought to the semi main stream by mr. Jones.

I will ill admit that the 7mm TCU had me for a short while until I went to 7-30 waters. Both use cheap available brass but the 7-30 just seems to shine better in a contender barrel.

deviljunkie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Grandview
    I tend to agree with the OP. I think it is a fad round, with a cult following. What I have noticed here on INGO, is something comes along, examples: Sig P238, then the 938, 300 black out, Glock 42. A couple people on here buy said item, start a thread, then everyone joins in and jacks each other off, about what a great product it is. Then more members buy it, start their own threads, then a review comes along, more jacking each other off. Then after all this great press, in the case of 300 blk. out, ammo is nearly impossible to find. Then someone puts their baby up for sale in the classifieds, but before that they start a "what's it worth" thread, then more jacking that guy off, telling him it's worth all the gold that MR. T wears.
    Then before you know it, there are several of them up for sale, and it's onto the next "hot" item.

Lots of mental masturbation here on INGO. Just my opinion of course, and YMMV.

im definatly going to start selling more stuff on this site.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    If you aren't running your 300 BLK suppressed, I agree that it is a fad round. But for people who own cans, I believe it's here to stay. Especially now that big names like Remington and others have picked up the round. If the price per shot gets down to around $.65 vs $1.00 for factory ammo then I think a lot more people will hop on the bandwagon. It's my only rifle caliber since I am more of a handgun guy. But it does everything I want it to do with the type of environment that I live in(less than 300 yards to shoot in). It's still pretty quiet with supers with a suppressor if I want higher velocity. Barnes TSX bullets are pretty magicical and you can find them online in stock on the regular, though you have to pay for them if you know what I mean. Long story short, I guess I better stock up on lotion since i'm joining the circle jerk.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I have no desire for the round either. If I want to shoot suppressed subsonics out of an AR I'd just do it with a 9mm and save a buttload on ammo prices. I think a bolt gun with a can would make fun range toy, but other than that I don't see much appeal.

Brassman65

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    anderson
    I've been contemplating an AR or bolt gun build in 300 Fireball aka 300 Whisper or 30-221. The only thing that has held me back so far is that it is almost cost prohibitive. Last time I checked a barrel for my R700 in 300 fireball was going to run me around $650. Then there is the invailability of ammo or brass.

sht4brnz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    N.IndNpls
    tapatalk_1394799981394.jpegI cared until I saw (always understood) the possibility of screwing up with the wrong round fed through the wrong barrel.
    Still interested just in a specific region of use... ar pistol/sbr

Last edited:

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    [video=youtube_share;tgKjbySsAik]http://youtu.be/tgKjbySsAik[/video]

Ok... I'm actually impressed lol. Still not impressed enough to actually run an 300blk convertible system though, at least until the price/rd comes down some. I'm a huge fan of stockpiling practical rds for common systems ie... .45, 9mm, 5.45, 5.56, 7.62x39, just incase...
    I'm not a "prepper" but I still like to know that my weapon systems are able to accommodate popular calibers in a SHTF or shortage scenario. Seeing that 300blk is now SAAMI, that might change things for me in the future, but unit price/rd comes down a wee bit, I'm still not sold.

And btw... that quite an informative video for an AK lover! haha

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    BS on the prices quoted in this thread. 300 BO available all over for $.75 to $1.75 and in-between depending on manufacturer and retailer.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    BS on the prices quoted in this thread. 300 BO available all over for $.75 to $1.75 and in-between depending on manufacturer and retailer.

Not subsonic and, IMO, subsonic is the best reason to own 300BLK. If you're lucky you can get Remington 220gr from Midway for about $1 a round, but it sells out in hours. I can't remember the last time I found subsonic on Aim Surplus...

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    A Long Time ago
    I had to chose between a 30.06 or a 308 .
    Then a choice between a 22 -250 or a 223 .
    I should also mention that I had to chose between a beta tape player or a vhs tape machine . That beta player STILL works.
    I may not be the right guy to be guessing on what a '' fad '' is going to be ... :)

Top Bottom