How many of you just dont care about 300blk?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Ok, well I understand some of the great positives of 300blk, especially the heavy grain subsonics while running a suppressor, but honestly, I've just never been interested, nor think that I ever will be. I think its much more of a "fad" round, at the moment, that has the great potential to actually stick around in plentiful amounts, unlike the 6.8spc. I still just have never been interested in building a 300blk AR, or having any 300blk firearm in any case. Does anyone else feel like I do?

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have no intention of buying one so I am not concerned. If I had an unlimited firearm budget I may be more inclined to check out new things. As is I prefer to stick to 5 or. 6 common useful calipers. Don't get me wrong, some of the stuff is really cool and I will drool and dream. Just not happening until the kids are kids are grown.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    No interest at all.

The only thing it does better than 5.56 is heavy subsonics. If they wouldn't have decided to gimp the round by forcing it to fit standard magazines and made it the 7.62x40mm, then yes I would have been very interested. That round had some amazing promise behind it, such a shame that it got thrown under the bus.

All that said, if I was really wanting an alternative round for 5.56 firearms I would just opt for the 6.8. It offers all the advantages I would be interested in. But considering the cost, I just can't justify it.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I haven't decided. I think I want to do a 300blk build but I know it's definitely going to have be something I reload until when or if it's more popular. Since it uses all the same parts as 223/556 except the barrel I'll most likely spend $800 or so to build the upper and just do it

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I have no intention of buying one so I am not concerned. If I had an unlimited firearm budget I may be more inclined to check out new things. As is I prefer to stick to 5 or. 6 common useful calipers. Don't get me wrong, some of the stuff is really cool and I will drool and dream. Just not happening until the kids are kids are grown.

Useful tools, no doubt. But what caliber do you shoot?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I think it's a waste of good 556 brass :)

It looks cool but doesn't float my boat. Would rather have a good AR in 7.62x39

Great to run through a suppressor and to quietly shoot people close range? Yup. Most people going to do that? Nope. If I was going to get an AR in a round that's probably just a fad I'd go 6.8 but that's just me

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I tend to agree with the OP. I think it is a fad round, with a cult following. What I have noticed here on INGO, is something comes along, examples: Sig P238, then the 938, 300 black out, Glock 42. A couple people on here buy said item, start a thread, then everyone joins in and jacks each other off, about what a great product it is. Then more members buy it, start their own threads, then a review comes along, more jacking each other off. Then after all this great press, in the case of 300 blk. out, ammo is nearly impossible to find. Then someone puts their baby up for sale in the classifieds, but before that they start a "what's it worth" thread, then more jacking that guy off, telling him it's worth all the gold that MR. T wears.
    Then before you know it, there are several of them up for sale, and it's onto the next "hot" item.

Lots of mental masturbation here on INGO. Just my opinion of course, and YMMV.

michaelw2608

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Not interested either.. but I did jump on the .458 Socom wagon. My .458 is a deer killing machine though and that was the reason I bought it. It was never bought just to shoot considering ammo is 3 dollars a round if you aren't reloading.

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    How long does it have to be around before its not a fad?
    How long does it need to be around to establish a sustainable presence for many individuals, this poster included, to be confident in being able to regularly have access to the uppers and ammo/reloading?

Its very intriguing, but availability is an issue.
    Isn't a .300 blk in the pistol version deer legal?
    Anytime a firearm/caliber can serve more than one purpose its a good thing.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I think it's a waste of good 556 brass :)

Actually, I make mine out of .223/5.56 brass that has neck or shoulder damage and is unusable otherwise.

I wouldn't have tried it initially but as the only thing it required was a barrel and set of dies, it was a cheap try. And it turned out I really liked it. It's far cheaper to shoot as I cast my own projectiles, and it's extremely versatile, something I appreciate in any caliber.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I tend to agree with the OP. I think it is a fad round, with a cult following. What I have noticed here on INGO, is something comes along, examples: Sig P238, then the 938, 300 black out, Glock 42. A couple people on here buy said item, start a thread, then everyone joins in and jacks each other off, about what a great product it is. Then more members buy it, start their own threads, then a review comes along, more jacking each other off. Then after all this great press, in the case of 300 blk. out, ammo is nearly impossible to find. Then someone puts their baby up for sale in the classifieds, but before that they start a "what's it worth" thread, then more jacking that guy off, telling him it's worth all the gold that MR. T wears.
    Then before you know it, there are several of them up for sale, and it's onto the next "hot" item.

Lots of mental masturbation here on INGO. Just my opinion of course, and YMMV.

Haha! This quote is great! I almost spit my morning dip out.

Niles Coyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    S.W. Michigan
    I think its much more of a "fad" round, at the moment, that has the great potential to actually stick around in plentiful amounts, unlike the 6.8spc. I still just have never been interested in building a 300blk AR, or having any 300blk firearm in any case. Does anyone else feel like I do?
    Yes, I agree. The only thing I see in it is it offers the ability to run subsonics in a AR efficiently, but then if that was my "thing" I would want to be running flatnosed lead bullets or massive broad cavity hollow points to do something once it hits... not sure how reliable feeding would be in a AR though. On the plus side, maybe the increased demand of heavy 308 match bullets (that most seem to be using for some reason) will make the availability go up and the cost come down... maybe...

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Not interested either.. but I did jump on the .458 Socom wagon. My .458 is a deer killing machine though and that was the reason I bought it. It was never bought just to shoot considering ammo is 3 dollars a round if you aren't reloading.

Now .458 socom and .50 beowolf I see the relevance of! Those are some awesome 25-150yrd 100-500lb game loads. I would most def have both calibers in my AR's if the rounds didn't make your wallet weep with a trigger pull.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I had one several years ago under the name of 300 whisper. From what I can tell it is the same round and while it could be versatile with different bullet weights I really only used it sub sonic with a suppressor. It was fun for a while buy really no practical use for me. However since I should be getting a SBR tax stamp back soon and a suppressor that would handle it I have thought about doing an AR upper just for fun. It was fun to shoot but was like lobbing a rock past 100 yards

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I briefly had a Savage/Stevens 200 with a 300BLK barrel. It was fun to shoot with 220gr Subs, even without a can, but I regarded it as little more than a range toy.

If it became a deer-legal rifle cartridge in Indiana (frankly no reason not to, as it seems less of a traveling threat than a 450/458 or any of the 35cal wildcats) it would be HIGHLY relevant to my interests. As it is now, I've been kicking around the idea of building a 300BLK AR pistol for hunting...but a 450B barrel for a Savage is a lot less than an AR pistol and probably more versatile.

Top Bottom