How many of you EDC with an extra mag.??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    If you dont carry an extra mag. everyday when do you and why? I currently dont and really only do when i get a burr up my butt.:dunno:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    It seems I often find myself in cargo pants, so throwing an extra mag in a leg pocket isn't that big of a deal. Granted, its not super-accessible due its crappy location and the fact its not aligned for quick swaps, I feel its better than nothing. If I'm wearing jeans or slacks, I don't usually carry an extra - unless I am carrying my p3at that day. In that case, the magazine in no bigger than a folder. Be sure to clean and inspect those magazines you keep in pockets...lots of dust bunnies and pocket funk can get jammed inside.

coletrane811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Noblesville
    I don't if I'm carrying my Glock 19 (15 rd mag). If I'm carrying my S&W 442CT, I will throw a Bianchi strip in the pocket with 5 extra rounds though.

I might start carrying another G19 15 rounder this winter if I start to feelin squirly :)

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    This will probably bring some negative feedback. I only carry one Mag. And get this, it's a 10 round Mag. I can hear some of you gasping. I started carrying with a 10 round Mag and have just keep using it because it weighs less. But I really feel that if I'm in a situation where I need more than 10 rounds I'm in way too deep anyway. Now if zombies start running the streets or there are mass food riots etc I will start carrying two Mags at the very least.

coletrane811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Noblesville
    This will probably bring some negative feedback. I only carry one Mag. And get this, it's a 10 round Mag. I can hear some of you gasping. I started carrying with a 10 round Mag and have just keep using it because it weighs less. But I really feel that if I'm in a situation where I need more than 10 rounds I'm in way too deep anyway. Now if zombies start running the streets or there are mass food riots etc I will start carrying two Mags at the very least.

If zombies start running the streets, I'll be carrying 20 or 30 AR15 30 rounders:draw:

and a friggin ninja sword!:n00b:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Every single day!!! (Kel-Tec PF-9) :rockwoot:

keltecC1.jpg

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I typically don't carry an extra.
    Statistically speaking, the chances that'll I'll ever need to fire my gun are minimal. Even in the off chance that I do, statistically most gunfights result in fewer than 6 shots fired. When you multiply the probabilities of each to find the odds that I'll need more than the 8 rds my 1911 has, it's about the same mathematical probability as being struck by lightning or winning the lottery.
    yeah, yeah, I know: better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, but I don't carry a lightning rod around or buy lottery tickets either.

This is based on the data I've seen, and if anyone has seen some real data that is contrary, I'd like to see it.

All that said, If I found a convenient and unobtrusive way to carry a 2nd and 3rd mag, I probably would.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Yes, two more 8rd mags for my 1911 in a mag holder on my left side. Total of 25 rds on me at all times. I would hope I would never need more then a second reload and that would be only a tactical reload. Actually hope I would never need to use a gun again.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    i carry a p11 with 12+1 capacity, so usually i do not carry a spare. when convenient (wearing cargo pants, etc.) i will throw a spare mag in however. usually depends on what i am wearing at the time.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    I do carry an extra mag. Most shootings do not require the 21 rounds I carry, but mags fail sometimes. If the mag fails B4 the threat is neutralized, then you are hosed w/o a spare.

Never mind that if I am involved in a shooting and then get to a "pause in the action" after shooting off more than 1-3 rounds, I am probably going to switch to a fresh mag while scanning for additional threats.

Of course, I would tuck the partial mag into my pants at this point.

Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I typically carry a Glock 22 with 15 +1. that seems to be a pretty good amount of rds on hand. If and when I switch to a G27 (trying to accumulate funds now)I will carry a spare mag of 9rds

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    If I'm carrying something smaller than a 1911 .45 cal. I will usually grab an xtra mag or speed strip. I do keep spare mags that are quickly accessable in my vehicle however.

jstwrit

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    May 11, 2009
    N.E.
    I typically don't carry an extra.
    Statistically speaking, the chances that'll I'll ever need to fire my gun are minimal. Even in the off chance that I do, statistically most gunfights result in fewer than 6 shots fired. When you multiply the probabilities of each to find the odds that I'll need more than the 8 rds my 1911 has, it's about the same mathematical probability as being struck by lightning or winning the lottery.
    yeah, yeah, I know: better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, but I don't carry a lightning rod around or buy lottery tickets either.

This is based on the data I've seen, and if anyone has seen some real data that is contrary, I'd like to see it.

All that said, If I found a convenient and unobtrusive way to carry a 2nd and 3rd mag, I probably would.

Well Said! My readings brought me to the same conclusion. I only have 7+1.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I do carry an extra mag. Most shootings do not require the 21 rounds I carry, but mags fail sometimes. If the mag fails B4 the threat is neutralized, then you are hosed w/o a spare.

Yep, it's not round count but failure, or what if for some reason you dropped your mag, or a myriad of other issues. I carry a G19, and carry an extra mag. There is also the thought that you may have other ammo in the extra mag, like FMJ, thus giving you some options as to penetration.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom