How Many Magazines Do You Have For Each Firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I bought a couple not long ago. I haven't run them yet, but they appear to be identical to the BDM mags in every respect. In fact, I initially thought BDM was making these mags for CMMG, but recently found out that's not the case. I will be buying more.

Again I really appreciate that link. The BDM's were just KILLING me.

I think a minimum of 10 magazines for handguns and 20 each for rifles. That being said, I'm not even close to that on the AK or AR mags yet.

I'm in the same line of thinking. 10 for use, 10 for setting back for my rifles, and 5 and 5 for my pistols.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I have 3 for my AR, 2 for my xD and 2 for my .22a plinker. I'd like more, but since they're not a NEED for me, they're low on the list of things to buy

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    My prefered MINIMUN is 4 mags per handgun gun. and 6 per rifle. I say this because this is my IDEAL CARRY LOAD. I can carry 2 coupled with my rifle and a 4pack mag pouch. While also carrying my handgun strongside with 1mag loaded. 1 in my strongside front pocket and 2 in a beltpouch or shoulder-holster pouch.

But Ive got a life time supply in mags :)

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Well ive got 10 30rds for my 10/22, just getting back into the ARs but I have 5 so far (2 20s and trying to trade 3 30s for 2 more 20s). Nice thing about the revolvers is you don't get socked in the gut with $50+ mags, what you buy is what you get (unless you want some $10-$20 speedloaders). :D

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    7 Ruger Mark II
    8 Ruger Mark III
    8 1911
    26 Glock 17/34
    13 Glock 19
    1 Savage MkII (need more for this one)
    1 Sako Quad (these mags are too expensive to stock up on)
    15 AR15

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    A dozen mags per gun is enough to make me feel "comfortable," but isn't necessarily an end point. :) I'm also a believer in owning different/several guns that take the same type of mag.

yup, my G19 and G34 share the 9 or so Glock 17 mags....

Think I have 9 or 10 AR15 mags, just starting to collect them.

Last edited:

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County

Since I lost all of my guns in a boating accident last year when we went over Angel Falls. I'm unable to say which firearms that I have magazines for due to bumping my head, only that I have the magazines. :D

Also the OP doesn't ask what firearms you have, only the number of magazines you have for each firearm.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    25 XD45 mags I believe, I'd have to check (2 XD's)
    50+ AR15 magazines (4 AR's)
    25 CMI M1A magazines (1 NM M1A)
    200+ M1 Garand clips (Loaded :D)
    10 1911 magazines

I kinda went crazy with the XD mags, but got good prices on them.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Before you can make a blanket statement about how many mags you need per gun, It is my opinion that you need to look at what the gun is USED for:

Handguns are defensive weapons. Most modern pistols are very reliable and hold a lot of ammunition. Unless you intend to use your pistol for suppressive fire, two spare magazines is probably all you need. With a Glock 17 for example, that gives you 51 rounds. What I do then is designate an identical number of mags for training mags.

What you do then is use only the training mags for plinking/training/range time. Quality mags will take a long time to ware out, so you will get your moneys worth from them. Since your Carry mags are separated and don't get used (except when the stuff hits the fan), you probably wont need to replace them.

I follow the same rules for rifle mags, but I like to have 8 spares instead of 3 :)

Top Bottom