How many here have an American flag displayed at home?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StuckinIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Not sure what kind of heat I'll take for this, but when we get into our own home (soon!) I plan on flying an Indiana state flag. I'm not too big on flying the flag of the government that oppresses us.

bullet293

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    OMOKOK
    revolution the only solution

i have a nice 30 ft. flag pole i will not fly a flag on. we have let our country turn to ****. it is not the country my grandfathers fought in ww1 and 2 and my father in nam to protect. i hope it fails and we have to start over with that "god damn piece of paper" that gw called our constitution. anyone else ready to fight to get the greatest country on earth back? the one we live in now aint worth a %#*!. praise the lord and pass the ammo.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    We are trying to find a suitable flagpole we will then be flying one. We had a flagpole at our house when I was growing up but it was cheap steel and sank in concrete so it eventually broke, found out last summer that you aren't supposed to put a flagpole in concrete as it will eventually snap at the point the pole and the concrete meet. So we are still looking for a good flagpole.

Concrete naturally holds moisture, so more than likely it rusted the pole through and through.

Concrete is bad for aluminum poles also. Concrete is corrosive to aluminum and will degrade it to the point of failure. Best way to set a aluminum pole is to dig your hole accordingly, depending on pole size (least 2 ft wide, 3 foot deep for 25ft + ) , the thickest pvc pipe available that will provide at least 2 - 3 inches clearance on both sides of the pole. Put pvc in hole and fill concrete around to anchor it, and let it cure for 48 hours minimum . Insert pole and make sure it is level, file pipe with sand and tamp down firmly to secure pole.

This provides a firm non corrosive anchor for your pole, and if you ever need to remove it, all you have to do is chip away at the sand to remove it.

If you plan on flying your colors at night, while doing this, it's also a good time to run your U.L. approved underground wiring for a outside flood/spot light with a dusk to dawn sensor. I personally have my outside light on a separate breaker so there will no chance of a overloaded breaker tripping.
    flag-smiley-7376.gif

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    Cruising the highways and byways of Indiana as I do for my employment, I saw a roadside memorial which had a small solar powered spotlight.

I thought...what a great idea for night time flag illumination for those of us who don't have a spotlight and don't want to hard-wire one in.

Saw this on the intardwebs...

Home-Solar Flag Pole Light

Don't know how good they are or anything, but it's something to consider...

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I am proud to fly a flag that actually represents what this country is. Freedom and Liberty. A flag that emboldens the Constitution and States Rights. Not a federal oligarchy. You can fly your flag to mean whatever you like. Just realize that...

It's like walking around and calling yourself gay when you are happy. Sure it previously meant happy, but today it stands for something completely opposite of what it did originally. Sucks, but that's the breaks Same goes for "old glory". It's been so hijacked and perverted it's beyond repair. I knew a few people in their late 80's who refuse to stop using the word gay to describe their mood. Always makes me chuckle a bit.

None of these flags were flying when my great great grandfather was taken prisoner (and later died) at Petersburg, VA where he was fighting for that Grand Old Flag. My uncle didn't serve under any of these flags when his Sherman tank was blown up (disabling him for life) in Europe while fighting the Nazis. My father didn't salute any of these flags at reveille while fighting in the Pacific theater during WWII. I only saw Old Glory standing in defiance in the American Sector in Berlin before the "Wall" fell. Many hundreds of thousands fought proudly under the red, white, and blue, while fellow countrymen were cursing them, spitting on them, and just ignoring them during the war in Southeast Asia. Although these efforts to preserve freedom don't seem to mean much to you, they do mean much to many. Although I respect the founders of this country and honor their memory, the current flag represents the freedoms to me that I live under. The majority of people in the world will never know even the slightest flicker of freedoms that I enjoy every day. My beloved flag will drape my coffin, when I am called home. Until then, I will fly the current flag proudly and sincerely say, "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands. One nation, under God indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    None of these flags were flying when my great great grandfather was taken prisoner (and later died) at Petersburg, VA where he was fighting for that Grand Old Flag. My uncle didn't serve under any of these flags when his Sherman tank was blown up (disabling him for life) in Europe while fighting the Nazis. My father didn't salute any of these flags at reveille while fighting in the Pacific theater during WWII. I only saw Old Glory standing in defiance in the American Sector in Berlin before the "Wall" fell. Many hundreds of thousands fought proudly under the red, white, and blue, while fellow countrymen were cursing them, spitting on them, and just ignoring them during the war in Southeast Asia. Although these efforts to preserve freedom don't seem to mean much to you, they do mean much to many. Although I respect the founders of this country and honor their memory, the current flag represents the freedoms to me that I live under. The majority of people in the world will never know even the slightest flicker of freedoms that I enjoy every day. My beloved flag will drape my coffin, when I am called home. Until then, I will fly the current flag proudly and sincerely say, "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands. One nation, under God indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    :+1:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I've flown mine continously since I've owned my home, which was October 2001, just over 6 weeks post 9/11. I have a flood light on it, so fly it 24/7.

It does come down for sever weather (have had the post rip off the side of the house before), and for a few Sunday's in the fall when the Colts are playing in the playoffs! :rockwoot:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I don't have a foul weather flag so I don't fly it in the rain, I don't have a light on it so I take it down at night. Aside from that I fly my flag, at my house, everyday.

Sometimes I see damaged flags around on houses. If you flag becomes tattered and your not in an active combat zone, take it down and bring it to the nearest VFW to be disposed of properly.

Hiram Abiff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Wayne Co.
    Memorial Day reminder

Just a reminder that flags should be flown at half mast from sunrise to noon on Monday the 25, then raised to full mast. ***But then we all knew that didn't we.***
    My son is an Airman (on his way to Qatar) and said "Dad if you fly our flag make sure you do it RIGHT!!"":patriot:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have one on my deck. I have the flag that was draped on my great uncles casket, in a display case. I have one from the station I served at, while in the Coast Guard on my wall. I have a Coast Guard flag on my wall. I have a Coast Guard ensign on my wall, from one of the boats I was attached to. I also have a MIA/POW flag on my wall. Not to mention the various other patriotic items I have. What can I say I love this country.:patriot:

crmguns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Sullivan
    I have one on my garage that I only take down when it is raining. so it isnt up today. I have one in a case on the wall inside my house that I flew on a mission durring my 2nd deployment in Iraq :patriot:

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I'm in the market for a new one. I took the old one down at the beginning of winter due to damage, and haven't had a chance to get a new one. When I fly it, it hangs in the middle of my garage, but I'm thinking of moving it to beside the front door.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    The beauty of America is that you can take a drive and not every house has a Flag. I display my flag with great pride, but it means something when not everyone is flying it.

How many counties do you know of that don't force there citizens to fly the flag, and its not a crime to burn the flag? America, the greatest country the world has ever seen.

:patriot:

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    We fly a flag on a 30' lighted pole, 20/7, unless very high winds are forcasted.

As for the following of flag code, yes, my family does it. I worked at a scout camp for eight years, and proper etiquette is very important there.

The past couple of summers (this summer is the first year I'm not working there) I took part in either the raising or the lowering (color guard) almost every day.

Top Bottom