How many here have an American flag displayed at home?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have 5 American flags on display in my home. All were for thanks for your service flags of my ancestors. As soon as I can scrape up the money I would love to have a flag pole to display a flag. Till then none our outside of our house... sigh...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I have 1 on display. Its in a presentation case.

It was draped over my father's casket when he was buried. He was an Eastern European immigrant who fled Czechoslovakia during World War II as Stalin was moving west and Hitler was moving east, volunteered to fight for the US and fought in the Pacific Theater in the US Navy and was on the USS Mullaney, which was hit several times but never sunk.

That flag display is up every day, all year in the center of the bookcase so everyone can see it.

Please keep the dust off of that flag case for me. That is a lot of history associated with that. If he was alive, a handshake and a beer (if appropriate) would definitely be in order from me to him.

The next time you "talk" to him, tell him Thank You from one vet to another.

:patriot:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Yep, I'm displaying one. Next purchase is a Don't Tread On Me flag.

Not one of my neighbors is flying any flag, which is depressing considering how many people did fly one after 9/11.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Bought our 25' Bronze telescoping flagpole from UnCommon USA and have not been disapointed
    http://www.uncommonflagpoles.com/tfp25br.html

Our poles have NO Ropes, NO Chains, NO Pulleys so you do not have to worry about knots and tangles. Also, this makes our flagpoles virtually NOISE FREE. The Uncommon USA, Inc. Telescoping flagpole is made of sturdy 16 gauge aluminum with an anodized finish making this flagpole MAINTENANCE FREE, no need to worry about rust or painting.

The Uncommon USA, Inc. Telescoping flagpole has polycarbonate bushings which allows each section of the pole to slide up and down smoothly, "metal never touches metal." The swivel harness which the flags are mounted on, are also polycarbonate and allow the flag to fly "Freely" 360 degrees around the pole, preventing the flag from wrapping around the pole. Less wear and tear on "Old Glory."

Due to the unique design of the Uncommon USA, Inc. Telescoping flagpole, each section of the pole raises and lowers easily. Match the arrow to the hole, click the button in place, and with a simple press of the "release" button down your flagpole slides.

Each Uncommon USA, Inc. Telescoping flagpole comes complete with a 3 inch Gold Aluminum Ball Ornament, to dress the top of your flagpole, A Double Flag Harness to fly two flags or fly a flag at half mast, 3' x 5' Nylon USA Flag with Embroidered Stars and Sewn Stripes (*25' flagpoles Includes a 4'X 6' USA Flag) and an Installation Sleeve with complete instructions.

Usually fly several different flags

yhst-19802326331255_2047_3453856

yhst-19802326331255_2044_9607884

yhst-19802326331255_2047_5453230

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I have 2 in presentation cases for one grandfather that fought in the first WW and one for the one who fought in the second. I also have the silk flag my grandfather carried on him in the pacific as well as a few desktop ones around the house. I fly one outside when the weather is okay since it is one of the cheap ones you mount to the side of the house they do not do well in heavy wind. I need to get something better that I can fly more often.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I have 1 on display. Its in a presentation case.

It was draped over my father's casket when he was buried. He was an Eastern European immigrant who fled Czechoslovakia during World War II as Stalin was moving west and Hitler was moving east, volunteered to fight for the US and fought in the Pacific Theater in the US Navy and was on the USS Mullaney, which was hit several times but never sunk.

That flag display is up every day, all year in the center of the bookcase so everyone can see it.
    I also have the flag that draped my father's casket in a display case...along with his WWII European Theater medals and uniform brass and patches. 84th Infantry Division, 638th Tank Destroyer Battalion. He landed at Normandy (Omaha Beach) after the initial surge then went on to fight at the Battle of Ardennes (Battle of the Bulge) in December 1944.... I wish he'd talked more about it....but always respected his silence. He's been gone 24 years this year....and I miss him daily.

I also have a 20 foot flag pole that is used spring to late fall. That flag went up today. That pole and the neighbor's across the street who just returned from his 3rd tour in Iraq are the only two on the street. His son just returned from his 2nd tour.

To all those that give so freely so we remain free.... :patriot: God bless you all.

armytankdestroyer.gif

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I have a 3'x5'(or close) hanging from a flag holder connected to the column in the front of the house...It's been up 24/7 for quite some time w/ little damage.

It even survived the ice storm.

Edit: It's 5'x 2' 10in...I was close.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Old Glory flies here in good weather or also in bad when I forget to take her down.

I am usually alone in it though. Even the Cheney Republicans don't fly one...

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Fly a 5x8 on a 32ft tall pole 24/7 with a 1000 watts shining on it. Only time
    it comes down is when winds are forecast above 50mph, needs repair or replacing

232323232%7Ffp8%3B5%3Enu%3D3375%3E2%3A%3A%3E97%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D323%3A73%3C%3B%3C9687nu0mrj

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I stopped flying Old Glory when GWB started all his Patriot Act and REAL ID nonsense. I knew then that the America I grew up to love had died.

Right now, we are flying the Indiana State flag, since my Gadsden and Navy Jack have gotten pretty ratty over the years. I consider myself a citizen of the sovereign State of Indiana, and not beholden to the poser who has usurped the White House.

I really don't understand this. Old Glory doesn't represent a person, it represents this country. It represents the idea of the "great experiment". It honors the sacrifices and blood of common people who believed in the ideal. As someone who has been overseas in some nice places and not so nice places, there is nothing more stirring as seeing the American Flag upon return to this country. This country isn't perfect and certainly we have our ups and downs, but not displaying the flag, based on a principle like this is, for me, disturbing. You have that right to disparage the memory of those who have gone before, and even put it in print. You only have this right due to the Herculean efforts of great and common people who believed in this imperfect form of government and what the flag represents.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I really don't understand this. Old Glory doesn't represent a person, it represents this country. It represents the idea of the "great experiment". It honors the sacrifices and blood of common people who believed in the ideal. As someone who has been overseas in some nice places and not so nice places, there is nothing more stirring as seeing the American Flag upon return to this country. This country isn't perfect and certainly we have our ups and downs, but not displaying the flag, based on a principle like this is, for me, disturbing. You have that right to disparage the memory of those who have gone before, and even put it in print. You only have this right due to the Herculean efforts of great and common people who believed in this imperfect form of government and what the flag represents.
    :+1: :patriot:

You fly your flag for the love and support of our country and the men and women who have gave their lives so we can live in the greatest country on earth and PROUDLY HONOR THEM by displaying it.

Use other means to show your disgust, but don't take it out on the beloved stars & stripes.

BTW that does not mean people have the right to burn it to show their anger. Do that around me and right after I put out the flames, I'll put a knock out punch on the individual responsible for it.

josterman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I will soon have American Flag flying at my house since I just moved and am not renting anymore. I am able to get one and fly one proudly.:patriot:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Flags like these founded this country:
    Gadsden1.jpg

culpepper%20flag.jpg

Culpepper.jpg

and if you want the FIRST flag of this country:
    First-American-Flag-by-Betsy-Ross.gif

I am proud to fly a flag that actually represents what this country is. Freedom and Liberty. A flag that emboldens the Constitution and States Rights. Not a federal oligarchy. You can fly your flag to mean whatever you like. Just realize that...

It's like walking around and calling yourself gay when you are happy. Sure it previously meant happy, but today it stands for something completely opposite of what it did originally. Sucks, but that's the breaks Same goes for "old glory". It's been so hijacked and perverted it's beyond repair. I knew a few people in their late 80's who refuse to stop using the word gay to describe their mood. Always makes me chuckle a bit.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I agree with BE MIKE's sentiments. Much blood was shed for the flag. However it is a free county and you are welcome to express yourselves in whatever form or method desire long as it doesn't infringe on my rights of expression. Because that is one of the reason so many have shed their life blood for the flag and what it represents.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    We display our nations colors on the front of our house and have done so for quite a few years.

Five or six years ago I was making some repairs at a customers house when I saw the family dog drag a small flag out of a junk pile and begin chewing on it. I distracted the dog and grabbed the flag, cleaned it and did my best to do a three corner fold (can’t remember what it’s called) that I learned when I was a boy scout. I still keep that small flag in the side pocket of my tool bag. I’m not sure why. It just makes me feel good to have it with me.

[FONT=&quot]Bucky[/FONT]

Top Bottom