• ...and so much more!
  • Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    It's Your World

Welcome to INGO.

I got the lifetime license and carry most of the time. I'm not paranoid, but I consider my Concealed Carry Weapon or CCW like a seat belt. I don't expect to get into a wreck , and will try to avoid it any way I can, but if it happens I want the best protection I can get.

Many I know have the license and don't carry and that's fine, it's a personal choice. I'm not looking to be a hero, but I am a cool headed person who does well in high stress situations. I'm accurate and fast with a gun since it was my primary hobby for many years. Every time I see a shooting happen I reflect on how vulnerable I would feel without my gun, and kind of wish I had been there. Not for publicity, or a pat on the back, or even a chance to get shot myself, but there's a fair chance I could have prevented a lot of unnecessary dead people. Kind of like a lifeguard who sees a drowning victim on the news, or a doctor who reads about a person who dies from something they could have probably kept from happening. I don't worry what other people think, and I don't constantly dwell on the idea I might need it today, but it not only makes me feel safer, it makes me safer.

I do know a lot of people who have the license but only carry on occasion. If the riots broke out tomorrow, or a Katrina type disaster occurred it would be a little late to apply for a license and wait for it to come in. Many who do a lot of hiking fishing, or other outdoor activities only carry when they are in these remote isolated place. The rest of the time it stays home. It does make going shooting a little easier since you don't need to worry about a lot of the regulations on if it's loaded or not, but I believe this only applies to the handguns. It's kind of like the painter Bob Ross use to say "It's your world".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Welcome to INGO.

I got the lifetime license and carry most of the time. I'm not paranoid, but I consider my Concealed Carry Weapon or CCW like a seat belt. I don't expect to get into a wreck , and will try to avoid it any way I can, but if it happens I want the best protection I can get.

Many I know have the license and don't carry and that's fine, it's a personal choice. I'm not looking to be a hero, but I am a cool headed person who does well in high stress situations. I'm accurate and fast with a gun since it was my primary hobby for many years. Every time I see a shooting happen I reflect on how vulnerable I would feel without my gun, and kind of wish I had been there. Not for publicity, or a pat on the back, or even a chance to get shot myself, but there's a fair chance I could have prevented a lot of unnecessary dead people. Kind of like a lifeguard who sees a drowning victim on the news, or a doctor who reads about a person who dies from something they could have probably kept from happening. I don't worry what other people think, and I don't constantly dwell on the idea I might need it today, but it not only makes me feel safer, it makes me safer.

I do know a lot of people who have the license but only carry on occasion. If the riots broke out tomorrow, or a Katrina type disaster occurred it would be a little late to apply for a license and wait for it to come in. Many who do a lot of hiking fishing, or other outdoor activities only carry when they are in these remote isolated place. The rest of the time it stays home. It does make going shooting a little easier since you don't need to worry about a lot of the regulations on if it's loaded or not, but I believe this only applies to the handguns. It's kind of like the painter Bob Ross use to say "It's your world".

Well said.

I have many of these thoughts and feelings as well. To spend time worrying about how others feel is a waste of that valuable time.
    There was a period in my life that I chose not to carry because it was to easy for me to loose my temper and rational thought became secondary at those times. Divorce/financial ruin will do that to some folks. I made that decision to reduce the risk of making a mistake and causing problems for myself and others. As always things came around and It is so rare that any of my family are not within reach of EDC.
    This world has changed dramatically and we just feel safer when armed for the reasons stated above. We shoot often and are very familiar with what we carry.

If you choose not to carry I hope someone who does is close by when you need them.

Be safe.

CM

Rob54

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Merrillville, Indiana
    Have a Life time License and yet, I seldom carry. When asked why, tell people that there would be bodies everywhere as I negotiate traffic in the region. Not really true, but there are a lot of places that I visit that do not allow firearms on their site. One less thing to worry about.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Hmm. Bet you voted for Obama too.

Bet you have at least one front tooth missing, drink PBR (not that there's anything wrong with that), and have never had an arugula salad and a fine fume' blanc.

p.s. The Camaro up on blocks is optional....:D

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I have an LTCH and don't carry. I do wear heavy armor and a helmet whenever I leave the house. It all started about a year ago when I saw that avatar here that said 'shoot me for $5.' I'm not getting rich, but I can buy the occasional bottle of single malt and Punch. The bandages and gauze pads are just the costs of doing business. Btw, my price is going up. PM me......

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I would think it a safe bet to say you are in the minority here. I would also safely bet that the longer you remain an active member here, the more likely you are to make a decision to carry. I say that because of the vast amount of experience and knowledge on this website, you can't be a member here for long without learning something new, and that can't help but change your ideas and views on at least something. Your views on why you do or do not carry are very likely to change. Just my :twocents:.

Last edited:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Hey I am fairly new here and have kind of a random question. I picked up myfirst Pistol around 5 months ago, a SR9C, and have absolutely no desire tocarry. Now I am not against people carrying and I am glad that those do carry Ijust don't really feel it necessary to try to dress around a gun or have one on me. Is that pretty common or am I a minority?

I used to think like you. I liked guns, but had no desire to carry. About 2.5 years ago, i started seeing how things were going to hell in a hand basket. And getting older, i decided it was time to consider carrying. so in June, of 2011, I got my LTCH.

In august of 2011, I took my son over to the local drivers ed bldg, then stopped at a nearby gas station to fill my SUV up with gas. 4 young thugs started walking right towards me, whispering to each other. I kept one eye on them and continued filling the truck. At about 30 feet, i saw one slip a knife from his pocket. I turned towards them, and drew my weapon. They scattered like cockroaches when you flip on the light when they saw the gun.

My point is this. If you don't carry, you may (if you are lucky) live to regret that decision some day. If you do, and never have to use it, you will still never regret the decision. Better safe than sorry.

I also carry around the house? Why? Because that is where HOME INVASIONS occur. :D

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    To address the original question, I don't carry that often.

I live on post (Fort Knox) and there are EXTREMELY strict laws about having a firearm on your person. You're pretty much only allowed to transport it to and from the range, or to your house on the day you purchased it.

On the weekends, I go home to Indianapolis, and I carry then. But to deal with the hassle and risk of transporting it on and off post just to carry when I go out to eat isn't worth it to me.

So I don't carry that much. Only on the weekends, really. Any other time it's too damn hard.

skykey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Scotti1317,
    You may be in the minority in this thread,however so am I. I've been around guns for over 50 years. Frankly today, it is better to have a carry permit then not because of the various laws about transporting a firearm from your home to a range to practice. There are various places where you cannot carry a firearm: churches,schools, bars, government buildings. If you travel from state to state the laws change. I suggest apublication which is updated annually called "Traveler's Guide To the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States". Try Gunlaws for the 50 States.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Scotti1317,
    You may be in the minority in this thread,however so am I. I've been around guns for over 50 years. Frankly today, it is better to have a carry permit then not because of the various laws about transporting a firearm from your home to a range to practice. There are various places where you cannot carry a firearm: churches,schools, bars, government buildings. If you travel from state to state the laws change. I suggest apublication which is updated annually called "Traveler's Guide To the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States". Try Gunlaws for the 50 States.

You might want to read that yourself. Just sayin'.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    INGO is not always "typical" of gun owners. Especially the INGO that is always ready to respond. I know as many owners that don't carry as do. Its a personal choice and you have to do what is right for you.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I would think it a safe bet to say you are in the minority here. I would also safely bet that the longer you remain an active member here, the more likely you are to make a decision to carry. I say that because of the vast amount of experience and knowledge on this website, you can't be a member here for long without learning something new, and that can't help but change your ideas and views on at least something. Your views on why you do or do not carry are very likely to change. Just my :twocents:.

You're right about one thing. My views on carrying did change. Before INGO, I did carry. ;)

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I don't carry for the simple fact that I don't feel it's the responsible thing to do until I get more training. I can't say with any degree of certainty that I would be able to appropriately respond to a bad situation in the real world without making it worse.

Closing that gap is one of my big goals for 2013.

Kudos to you for making a wise decision!

Today's world is a very different place from the world when the US Constitution was drafted. Our country is certainly different, as is our society. When folks all grew up around guns and used them daily, the very thought of having to obtain formal training before carrying a gun would have been laughable, I'm sure.

Now, however, the vast majority of Americans have as much working knowledge of firearms as they do quantum physics. Safe handling of firearms, especially for self-defense, is a lost art for most Americans. And, even many INGOers are aware that their personal training and skill set leave them woefully inadequate in a violent confrontation (I see one in the mirror.)

Lots of folks have rushed out and bought guns recently, as if just having a Glock or an AR in the closet will protect them from the bogey man. The thought of actually spending time and money seeking out proper defensive training and engaging in meaningful practice with it never enters their minds. It never entered mine.

I've had my LTCH for over 30 years. I let it lapse once (won't do THAT again!) and only recently started carrying. It takes some getting used to. It is indeed a LIFESTYLE, and one that takes effort. However, I think it's worth it.

Get some good defensive training before you start carrying. It may not be the law, but it's just common sense. You'll feel more comfortable with your decision to carry -- or to not carry -- and will know that you are the master of your weapon instead of the other way around.

Top Bottom