• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have been playing for about 20 years. I try to get out about once a week during the spring - fall. Last year I didn't get out hardly at all, and my game has struggled the 4 times I've been out this year. I am finally getting my feel back, and striking the ball pretty well. When I am playing every week, I shoot in the low 80's. I am looking to break 80 this year for the first time. I have never had a lesson, and am about to take my first just to get over the "hump" and shoot in the 70's. My favorite course (around me) is Bear Slide. Who's up for a twilight round sometime?

Anyways, here is thread I posted a week ago regarding grips:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/147748-new_golf_grips.html

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I think furbymac had it correct. A smooth, slow swing resulting in better accuracy will tend to provide you with a better score in the end. That's my experience anyway.

I don't hit long drives, but most of them end up in the fairway or at least on the edge of the fairway anyway. It made the game much more bearable than spending lots of time looking in the trees for a drive that sprayed out into the woods and then taking another stroke to try to get out of the forest. I would venture to say that more often than not, nobody is a John Daly when it comes to hitting the long ball.

If I could get my chip shots closer to the pin, my score would be much lower.

A. Ramon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I went to a 3/4 swing. I think I was over swinging for my body type. I still in the 230-250yd range with the driver so very happy with that. The swing change really helped with keeping the ball straight and out of the woods.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I think furbymac had it correct. A smooth, slow swing resulting in better accuracy will tend to provide you with a better score in the end. That's my experience anyway.

I don't hit long drives, but most of them end up in the fairway or at least on the edge of the fairway anyway. It made the game much more bearable than spending lots of time looking in the trees for a drive that sprayed out into the woods and then taking another stroke to try to get out of the forest. I would venture to say that more often than not, nobody is a John Daly when it comes to hitting the long ball.

If I could get my chip shots closer to the pin, my score would be much lower.

Yeah not trying to swing as hard does seem to help. When I do that and tee it up higher, it ends up going straight but not too far, but at least its in the fairway.

My short game is much better, especially my chipping and putting.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I play frequently in the spring and summer. My dad and my grandfather are big into golf and they got me and my brother started at a young age (5-6 with toy clubs) and then probably early teens with real clubs. I've been good enough to play on golf courses for about 15 years.

I enjoy playing and find it very relaxing but I find it harder and hard to justify spending the $30-50 dollars to play on any kind of regular basis, especially with the increases in cost of living.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I've been playing for 20 years now. Played Jr. High and High School and some of the IGA-PGA Jr Tour Events that would go on every summer. I won one of those tournaments at age 15 (they were age division tourneys). I've broke 70 once in my life and that was in '03. This year I haven't got to play yet. Last year I played 3 times, in '09 I played once and '08 I played twice. Before that I played once or twice a week and sometimes twice a day (nothing like getting in 36+ for a day; I've done 54 once).

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I play a couple times a month, just about year-round. I haven't kept score for the last few years but just guessing I'm usually in the low to mid 80's. Mostly golf gives me a chance to get out in public in my ugly shirts!:D

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    People need to pay attention to the old golfers (men in there late 60's and older who've golfed all there life). A good drive distance wise for them is 175 yards. I've seen younger players who get behind the old guys make comments such as, "We are going to be here all day and they should let us play through". More times than not these old guys finish well ahead of the younger players. The reason is, while the old guys don't hit it far they hit it straight. They don't spend 5 minutes looking for a ball. They know where the shot is, straight and down the middle. When the old guys get around the greens they are accurate with their chipping and putting.

I laughed at my nephew when he had to play an 83 year old man for a league singles champion. My nephew was bragging about how he was going kick the old mans butt. All I said to him was "respect, you know the meaning when you are done". Sure enough my nephew got his butt handed to him and learned a little about respect.

NewsShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Indianapolis
    <---.

Playing since I was 12. I worked myself down to a 1/2 handicap in college, but have since slid a bit since getting a real job. Played half a dozen times so far this year, put up between 75's to 83's. I try and play a different track each week. But my go-to's are Smock - Co. Line and I-65, Trophy Club - Lebanon, and Bear Slide/Purgatory - up in Hamilton Co.

I'm like all the young kids now... hit it as far as I can and hope I can find it.

Last edited:

Ronald

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    I'm no pro but I try to get out and play at least once a year, it's really getting expensive though.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I like getting out and playing but I don't take it very seriously. Normally, it'll be a group of friends or a scramble. Usually end up drinking at least a beer every hole, sometimes 2-3 if it is a good day. Couldn't tell you about my scores...but I always have a good time.

jstwrit

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    May 11, 2009
    N.E.
    All the guys on my wife's side play. So I picked it up to fit in and really enjoy it. I play about 12 rounds a year with them (Grandpa usually pays) and I shoot in the mid 80's most of the time. Golf and Guns...always a good topic!

Top Bottom