• Total voters

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    60+, and I ain't talkin my age.:D

This is an excellent time to buy magazines. There seems to be an overabundance, and the prices and inventory are a plenty. I saw a dude at the show selling Tapco's, (military 30 rnd w/grn follower), selling them for $8. I'd mention this to your dealer, if you're willing to buy in quantity, and see if he'll get you a bunch in cheap.

Most of mine are 30's except for the few 10's I have for my varmint guns, and for zeroing.:ar15:

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I wish one of the voting categories would have been:

Don't have an AR-15 (yet).

I'm jealous of you all...but most of melensdad. :yesway: If war breaks out here, I would like to be on your "team". I'll be glad to help you load em...

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    How about I have ARs but no magazines? Actually I have some receivers and nothing assembled and no mags.

If I did I would have at least 5. Just my preference.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    H
    If I did I would have at least 5. Just my preference.

I believe that a minimum of 10 per weapon is prudent. Realize that the aluminum AR mags are essentially disposable, they are easily damaged and virtually impossible to repair if you step on them. The steel mags are more durable, but still can be damaged fairly easily. Polymer magazines will last much longer but care must be taken not to stress their feed lips by storing them loaded (unless you have means to take the pressure off the lips as the dust covers on SOME of the MagPul Pmags have). Polycarbonate magazines with steel feed lips, are my current favorites but even those can be destroyed.

The way I see it a rifle will last a lifetime but a magazine will not. Best to have lots of extra magazines.

FWIW, for handguns I believe that its wise to have about a half dozen magazines per weapon. Can't say all mine do. For some I have many more than that, for others fewer. But for handguns and rifles, the weak link is usually the magazine and if there is a failure with the weapon it is most likely caused by a damaged magazine.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I was so envious for a minute. :rockwoot: ;)
    Oh, but that could have just been a ploy for OPSEC.

I will be honest and say that I probably have more ARs and mags than the average shooter, but not that many. :rockwoot:

I did buy almost 200 mags a few months ago, but they weren't all mine. It was a group of friends and family that got together and did a bulk purchase.

The ammo count may have been a little on the high side.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I have 4 thirty round and 4 twenty round mags. I very seldom use them. I use a SLED almost 100% of the time. I don't get a kick out of rapid fire in my old age so I reload and go for accuracy.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    Oh, but that could have just been a ploy for OPSEC.

I will be honest and say that I probably have more ARs and mags than the average shooter, but not that many. :rockwoot:

I did buy almost 200 mags a few months ago, but they weren't all mine. It was a group of friends and family that got together and did a bulk purchase.

The ammo count may have been a little on the high side.

OK I'm envious again. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom