• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    A guy I work with is a total cheapskate. Back around Christmas, he brought in a can of Campbells cream of mushroom soup for lunch, no big deal, right? Well, that can of Campbells cream of mushroom soup expired in 1995! He heated it in the microwave, and ate it, and is still with us today. As long as the can is sealed, I would think the stuff inside would be, at least, edible. Always best to rotate stuff, but it's good to know you can go at least 18 years beyond the expiration date, and not even heave a little when eating it.

Cheapskate guys daughter was cleaning out his cabinets, and threw away a garbage can full of old canned goods, and he went out after she left and dug it all out of the trash.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    A five-year-long run for the Classifieds? Man, this is entertaining.

As for the original question, so long as the seal remains intact and was properly processed, shelf life is indefinite.
    To be on the safe side, I try to consume all non-acidic/non-sugary foods within two years of processing since I don't trust modern sealing compound that is put on modern lids. Tattler makes reuseable rubberized plastic lids, and while they work fine, I still try to stick to two years or under. But to tell the truth, they'd most likely be edible for quite some time beyond that. All-metal canned goods, such as canned meat, if properly processed, is indefinite, 25+ years.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think the biggest concern is not if it will be safely edible but how much nutrition is lost over the time past the expiration date. There are some fancy calculations available online that help you figure this formula out as best as you can.
    When I buy my canned goods I always ensure there are no dents in the can. Microscopic cracks can form in the metal and allow air and bacteria in.
    another good rule is to plan on losing 1/3 of your stock to contamination. Not that it WILL happen but just in case, you've already planned ahead and stocked extra.

im a firm believer in eating what you store. FIFO (first in first out). I mark all of my goods with a permanent marker with the month/year it entered my stock. Easy to keep track of.

also look for the dates on items at the store. They also use FIFO and stock newer dated product at the back. I shop from the back but always check dates.

Last edited:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I talked to a guy who was an engineer for a company that produced metal lids for glass jars and bottles. He told me that recently his company had changed materials for the plastic/rubber lining of the jar lids to a material that was BPA free. He said that many food can manufacturers were doing the same thing. He also said that the new material would not last nearly as long as the old material and that food in jars with metal lids and in cans probably would not have near the shelf life in the future.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I talked to a guy who was an engineer for a company that produced metal lids for glass jars and bottles. He told me that recently his company had changed materials for the plastic/rubber lining of the jar lids to a material that was BPA free. He said that many food can manufacturers were doing the same thing. He also said that the new material would not last nearly as long as the old material and that food in jars with metal lids and in cans probably would not have near the shelf life in the future.

Wow. It'd be good to get some further details on this.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Hormell has stated that their canned goods, though they have a listed expiration date, will last indefinitely if the cans are properly stored. This includes SPAM.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    A friend of our owns Grabill Country Meats, and he says that as long as the can is intact, it will be good. That could be 20 or 30 years, or more.

I just bought 3 cases from there Friday, Talked to the owner, he never gave an exact length, but implied it was plenty long. He aslo stated his products had more sales ($ amount) in Northern INDIANA Walmarts then Pepsi or Coke, I can't remember which but either is impressive. BTW, the chicken amd beef products are very good.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I was in the Marine Corps. in 1977. We were given canned food in the form of C-Rations, now replaced by MRE's.
    September of 1977 I was eating C-Rations canned in 1945.
    Not a thing wrong with any of it, other than the fact that most of it was questionable as edible in the first place!

If properly canned, and the food was fresh when canned, I've seen 50 year old canned food that was still viable.

BTW- Did you know honey will NEVER go bad?
    Archeologists have found honey in earthen jars that is viable after more than 2000 years!
    Honey is also a natural antiseptic! Bacteria can not survive in honey.
    Got a cut? Wash it off and slather it in honey. No infections.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    If the can is swelling, I would not open it. And certainly not eat it. What ever is growing in the can is gassing and when you open it the seal is broken. All the spores of whatever is growing is released. Generally not good.
    If the can is not swollen, probably edible. If it smells bad, tastes bad, I would not go further though.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think the biggest concern is not if it will be safely edible but how much nutrition is lost over the time past the expiration date. There are some fancy calculations available online that help you figure this formula out as best as you can.
    When I buy my canned goods I always ensure there are no dents in the can. Microscopic cracks can form in the metal and allow air and bacteria in.
    another good rule is to plan on losing 1/3 of your stock to contamination. Not that it WILL happen but just in case, you've already planned ahead and stocked extra.

im a firm believer in eating what you store. FIFO (first in first out). I mark all of my goods with a permanent marker with the month/year it entered my stock. Easy to keep track of.

also look for the dates on items at the store. They also use FIFO and stock newer dated product at the back. I shop from the back but always check dates.

This . Edible does not mean something has retained nutritional value. Canned items do not stop nutritional loss, only slow it to a crawl.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is it a given that my canned venison is good as long as sealed?

20131226_200141_zpsa4vznq9k.jpg

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    How you store anything is key to it's long term viability. Cool, dry, dark, etc..

Cleaning the can before opening and opening it with a clean can opener is also a good idea.. How many of you wipe off the lids before you open the can? How many of you wash your can opener after using it?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom