• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I bought my 10/22 back in the mid 80's. It has had thousands of rounds through it. Never had any trouble with it. Still shoots like it did when I was shooting it as a teenager. Has anybody ever wore one out? Sometimes I think I should buy a new one as a spare, but it has never given me any reason to doubt it. Just a thought.:dunno:

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    if you take care of it and clean it every once in a while it will last for generations.

If you can afford it I like to have two of every gun. not only as a buck-up, but so that I can share with friends when I take them to the range. (with current ammo situation they must bring their own ammo.)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I bought my 10/22 back in the mid 80's. It has had thousands of rounds through it. Never had any trouble with it. Still shoots like it did when I was shooting it as a teenager. Has anybody ever wore one out? Sometimes I think I should buy a new one as a spare, but it has never given me any reason to doubt it. Just a thought.:dunno:

Even if you managed to wear something out, replacement parts are plentiful. You can build a 10/22 without even using a single Ruger part.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    if you take care of it and clean it every once in a while it will last for generations.

If you can afford it I like to have two of every gun. not only as a buck-up, but so that I can share with friends when I take them to the range. (with current ammo situation they must bring their own ammo.)
    LOL. Funny, I usually do buy 2 of everything I really like. Just never added a second 10/22, yet.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Abuse aside, a high-grade firearm like a Ruger 10/22 should last indefinitely. There are not really any "wearable" parts inside and the stress from firing .22 LR is not all that severe compared to some high-powered round.

The biggest problems I've ever had with guns is doing something stupid like dropping it or closing the trunk lid on a part of it. Makes for a sad day!! :(

If you take care of it, clean it, keep it stored in a dry location, it will likely outlive you. So that's a good reason to teach your kids how to properly use and care for it also.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Abuse aside, a high-grade firearm like a Ruger 10/22 should last indefinitely. There are not really any "wearable" parts inside and the stress from firing .22 LR is not all that severe compared to some high-powered round.

The biggest problems I've ever had with guns is doing something stupid like dropping it or closing the trunk lid on a part of it. Makes for a sad day!! :(

If you take care of it, clean it, keep it stored in a dry location, it will likely outlive you. So that's a good reason to teach your kids how to properly use and care for it also.
    When I was still an idiot kid, I dropped it off a bridge once. It dropped about 20 feet and stuck in the mud in the bottom of the creek. I waded into the creek and plucked it out of the water. Kinda looked like an arrow the way it was stuck butt out of the water. It had a scar on the top from hitting the iron bridge, but other than that, no damage. Didn't even hurt the front sight.:D Other than that, It's always been taken care of.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I don't know if I ever wore it out or not, but I had to replace an extractor on my 10-22. It was starting to jam a lot and after I put in a VQ extractor for $10 the jamming went away. The lesson here is that even if a part wears out there's a high quality replacement part available to fix it starting at $10 each. If it's a part you would ever need to fix it's cheap, if it's a part you'd want to upgrade to then it's probably gonna cost you.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My dad bought mine for me in 1976 ($53.00) when I was 14. Blued steel and walnut stock.

It still shoots as good as it looks.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    IMHO the Ruger 10/22 is the be all end all of the average man's .22. Accurate, reliable, cheap, and can be customized any way you want it. I have a feeling my great-granchildren will get range time with my father's 10/22.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Ive got one from 2002 and have shot thousands of rounds through it and actually have never cleaned it yet it just keeps shooting....even shot a couple competitions with it back in the day, still going with absolutely no issues!

Wdsman11

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    A relative gave me a stainless rifle version that he had for years and did not like the failure to fires. After awhile of playing around with it I talked to Ruger which sent me a firing pin at no charge. No problems since.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    You will probably wear out extracto(s) and firing pin(s) before you shoot out the barrel. But heck in only takes 15 mins or less to change the barrel out. So the rest of the rifle should last many lifetimes if kept from rusting to the ground.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I bought one for my ex-wife 25 years ago. It survived a house fire and was rescued by my dad and me. We cleaned it along with the other other guns. she asked for it a couple years after the divorce and I told her it was going to our daughter. It shoots as good as it ever did. My four year old Grandson (Her son) will be shooting it tomorrow for the first time. I'm pretty sure if Noah had one on the ark it would still be shooting great.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I got mine from my father. It's an early 70's model. Bolt is beat up so bad it isn't funny. Had issues with some ammo until I got a new extractor. Slapped a retractable stock on it so my wife and kid could shoot. Makes it more difficult for me to shoot (being long and lanky) but I managed rifleman at my first seed with it last October. Great rifle. Even better being a 'hand me down' from Dad!

Top Bottom