• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    Just curious how high others climb in their stands. I'm using a Tree Lounge and climbing between 20-25 feet depending on which tree I climb. Any lower seems to get me busted.
    You?

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Almost always I go a min of 23-25. Its not uncommon for me to go 30-35. Ive never gotten busted at 30-35. Once If i remember correctly at 25.

It always cracks me up when i see a stand at barely 15 in the woods. :dunno:

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    IMO...Hight isn't what gets you busted. The majority of the deer I've taken I have been sitting on the ground. Not in a blind either. Scent control, playing the wind, sitting still (being quiet), and pattern break up are the keys.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I have to agree with the last post,

I hunt from a tree but sometimes I only get 10 feet up, it depends on the cover, terrain, you can put yourself out of the line of sight,

I like to hunt down in valley's in thick stuff, I prefer to find a 3 prong tree with a lot of growth in and around it and then just put my torso above the junk, I'm basically using a tree like a blind,

Too many hunters, shooters, Ect get caught up in numbers, be more flexible don't get hung up on some factor, Look at the complete package, get hid, watch your scent control, watch your silhouette, Its a total package think of it that way

Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    I practice scent control pretty good. My stand used to be aluminum colored/silver. I've since painted it flat black. I think that has played a part in me not being seen.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    We try to hang 20-22 on NORMAL sets. Routinely we have to go 28-30 to get where we need to be. Rarely, if ever do we hang under 20.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    20-25 for wheeled bows or gun.
    I think the size of the tree plays a big part. I've been on some wider than my shoulders, pain to hang a stand in for sure, but man the deer seem to go blind.

Lot easier to screw in steps, hang a stand on those telephone pole type of trees, but even when you don't move you look like a tumor up there and deer seem to pick you off pretty easy (in high pressure areas).

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Depends, are we crusin for chicks?

3ovh8h.jpg

Sorry, had to go there. :rolleyes:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I have to agree with the last post,

I hunt from a tree but sometimes I only get 10 feet up, it depends on the cover, terrain, you can put yourself out of the line of sight,

I like to hunt down in valley's in thick stuff, I prefer to find a 3 prong tree with a lot of growth in and around it and then just put my torso above the junk, I'm basically using a tree like a blind,

Too many hunters, shooters, Ect get caught up in numbers, be more flexible don't get hung up on some factor, Look at the complete package, get hid, watch your scent control, watch your silhouette, Its a total package think of it that way

i competely agree with this, i don't have a cover because i hunt valleys, ridges, and draws that are surrounded by CRP so there aren't enough tree's where a climber would be of great use.

3 out of 5 stands i use are homemade stands out of treate lumber and are only 12 ft. high, so i use a tree that will hide my silhouette. if you use common sense with your scent, play the wind correctly, and keep movement to a minimun then you won't get busted, even at 12 ft.

just two weeks ago i had a 6 pointer make a rub on a tree 10 yards from my ladder, in front of me, so his head was moving up and down towards me (he was also downwind) and he had no clue that i was taking it all in.

Jarhead1775

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rushville
    I typically hunt in a 2 man ladder stand. Usually are 16ft. I did hunt in a older single stand last year about 18ft.

Height is not the winning factor here as stated before. It is technique and sometimes luck of the draw that puts the meat in the freezer.

I sometimes hunt on the ground in trees or by a fence line. You have to adapt the patterns that the deer are showing you and what part of the rut is currently in.

:patriot:

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Lowest stand is about 12'. highest is around 18'. You don't need to be any higher than that. If you are constantly getting busted, work on scent control, playing the wind and not moving around in the tree. Deer see movement not the blob shape of a hunter on the side of the tree.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    About 3', or however high my head is above the ground when my butt is sitting on good old Mother Earth. Wind, movement, and scent control are more important for me. I used to hunt 20'+ off the ground, depending on location and background cover but quit hunting out of an elevated stand entirely several years ago. I figured if I didn't need to be 20' up in a tree to kill mule deer, elk, caribou and antelope, I probably didn't really need to be 20' up in a tree to kill a whitetail. Nothing against those who climb, just not necessary for me anymore. The older I get the more "grounded" I found that I have become. Heck, I don't even like to get on the roof anymore.

Dirty Steve

Top Bottom