How does the pocket gun crowd deal with multiple well armed attackers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    1. A few years ago a dude told us this was gonna happen.

2. South and Central American street gangs make the bloods and crips look like Bert and Ernie. The countries they hail from emptied the prisons now they are here.

3. The gangs are taking over apartment complex’s in several cities. In addition they are getting organized.

4. This threat may come to you. They are not stupid the suburbs are a softer target with more $$ than the inter city.

5. IME once someone start’s shooting most people haul a$$. It’s not fight or flight there is also some that freeze. Get off the X and seek cover shoot on the move if needed.

6. Free country and all that stuff, carry what you want. I sometimes carry a sub compact 9mm 9 rounds if I am running to town. If I am going to the big towns bigger the gun. IMO EDC shouldn’t be smaller than a compact G19, 365, Hellcat.

7. Home Defense have a plan my police response time would be under 5 minutes. I have heavy steel doors but lots of windows.
    Where is your weapon? What is it shotgun, rifle, pistol, PCC?Where are the kids? Whats your line in the sand?

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    You don’t! Short of engaging the nearest threats and making an escape wit the ensuing confusion (if you have to) you’re probably not going to be successful (as in survive) engaging all even with a Glock 34 and 19 round mag.

While we can show a few of these cases like the gang in the apartment how often does this or an active shooter event happen compared to a robbery/assault or car jacking attempts

Also factor in was this a HUD apartment that is more of a magnet to criminal elements than something upscale? That whole don’t go to stupid places with stupid people come to mind and has prevented a lot of people from walking into these things.

While nobody can predict everything people let their gear drive their mission instead of letting your mission drive your gear as the late Pat Rogers use to say.

I armed up differently when I was responsible to respond to other people’s emergencies compared to when I am Mr Civilian and am not responsible for anything by my family and Myself!

If everyone else wants to cart around in an active shooter kit on all the time that’s their business!

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Just whip out that .38 Snubbie and they will all run away in a panic……Right?

In all seriousness I carry a newer sub compact the holds 15 plus 1 and sometimes a spare mag. It’s still lighter than the 10 round 1911 9mm I was carrying and I have 31 rounds. That’s about as much as I willing to pack for a trip to the grocery store

At home it’s a different ball game

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Every one knows that just the sound of a shotgun racking will scare them away, just do that...unless you have a double barrel...oh wait a minute, Judd Hirsch had a "racking" double barrel in Independence Day, so there's that...

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    The pocket gun is for date night. My group gun has been a 7 1/2" barrel with ,454 Cassul. and speed loaders. Then I'll John Wick it. LOL

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I know, right! This is why I rarely leave my house! I've got those ram resistant water filled doors for my sally ports, and bullet resistant windows that are too heavy to open, so it's a PITA to go out anyway. I do still worry about a thug tossing a bio-hazard grenade down my chimney or an exhaust vent, but have to draw the line somewhere. I just hope I'll make it to the panic room in time in that event. At least I don't have to worry about the wife and kids anymore. They were weak and oblivious anyway, and couldn't tell the difference between reasonable precaution and paranoia. They were likely to panic and get me killed anyway.

If I do need to go out, I don't go far. My Volvo's new roll cage and the racing harness make it a little uncomfortable, and the foam in the gas tank reduced it's range. The Kevlar plates in the doors, beefed up glass, etc. made the car pretty heavy, so my gas milage sucks anyway, but hey... it's the environment or me.

As for my EDC, I really don't do much. A little Sig P226 on the hip with the little 18rd mag so it doesn't print much. I have a couple larger mags in the special pockets I sew in my pants. "One is none", so I still carry the Hi Power in a shoulder rig (old habits die hard). The SP101 on the ankle keeps clacking with the P365 on the other, but I haven't yet decided between the reliability of the revolver, or the added capacity of the micro striker. For now, I'm just careful about how I walk. The one big comfort concession I made was to stop carrying the K-Bar on a neck lanyard. The chest plate kept pushing it into me and gave me a rash. Whatever - the Cold Steel Tanto will have to be enough.

Joking aside, I just do what seems reasonable for the situation I'm likely to be in, and accept that some freak senario may catch me unprepared - in gear. I'm always over prepared for what's likely to happen, and under prepared for what could possibly happen. Even in the military, I had to accept that we can't take everything, and that **** gets heavy. As the situations change - like 2020 - I adjust as seems fit.
    Nice report and well covered. Toting twin P226's is my challenge in twin shoulder rigs, backed up by a S&W 686 with a 6in bbl on my IWB rig. Ankle carry is a 3in M629 44 mag, with a Kabar strapped on my lower leg. Paratrooper style. Got the plate holder vest, helmet, rest of gear ready for a milk/bread run at local gas station. Enjoy your day. Good luck.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I stopped ****ing around and got an H&K VP9 Match with 20-round magazines. My holster indexes on the Sourfire X300 so the extra barrel length is a freebie.

For smaller stuff, New York Reload!

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    While realizing that violence is possible at any/every moment, I can simultaneously rule out ever being totally prepared to face multiple well-armed, reasonably trained attackers. Me and mine avoid shady areas of shady towns, and don't stop for gas in secluded places at 1:00 am. That said, lots of crazies have seen fit to murder lots of folks in generally benign places like Walmart and/or grocery stores recently. My goal in any confrontational situation that may arise is easy: survival. When armed, it is generally lightly: CM9, P32, 2" snubbie. I do carry reloads for each. Lately, I've been contemplating the logic a carrying two guns. That could get out of hand quickly.

Top Bottom