How does the pocket gun crowd deal with multiple well armed attackers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Limited capacity is a serious handicap.
    It's a real eye opening experience when you train with a revolver/single stack and face multiple targets. One can only hope they run when the loud noises begin. So don't miss and keep practicing those reloads!

The bad guys have escalated the conflict and now generally carry 30+ round magazines.
    What's your excuse?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Limited capacity is a serious handicap.
    It's a real eye opening experience when you train with a revolver/single stack and face multiple targets. One can only hope they run when the loud noises begin. So don't miss and keep practicing those reloads!

The bad guys have escalated the conflict and now generally carry 30+ round magazines.
    What's your excuse?

Years back, when I switched from 1911's to Glocks, terrorists were the threat. I was a mediocre competition shooter and a fairly active local training junkie back then. I was pretty stubborn about my equipment choices being best, but the more I was educated, the more I learned that under pressure even the best could miss simple shots. You could never have too much ammo, especially when bullets are flying at you.

Back then, Gabe Suarez made solid arguments on switching to a high capacity striker fired 9mm that could be trained with to reliably make 25 yard head shots and 50 yard COM hits. Made a lot of sense then, as it does now.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I don't count on a pocket gun when I'm out and about, but I'm also not going to live my life with a 2+lb blaster strapped to my hip every minute even when I'm home. It's a calculated risk based on my perception of my own situation, not the worst-case possibility from the news.

So my kind of facetious answer: In the highly unlikely event that a group of thugs ever breaks into my home, there'd better be more than 5 of them, and the ones in the back had better be committed enough to keep coming over the bodies of their first 5 buddies who ate .38s on their way through the door!

More thorough and realistic answer: It's not just about the gun you carry, but also about the way you live your life. Don't go stupid places, don't do stupid things, and don't get involved with stupid people. If you actively avoid trouble, that's a huge step towards not encountering it. After that, taking basic steps like buying a house in a decent area, keeping your doors locked, good lighting and good fields of view, not flaunting expensive stuff, having a big loud dog...make yourself an unappealing target. The risk is never going to be zero, but you can reduce it significantly by making good choices. If you can avoid ever being in a situation where you have to engage in a gunfight in your home, that's an even better outcome than winning one.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    My usual carry gun is a Glock 26. Being 6'6" I can pocket carry in most pants but I had to look long and hard to find the thinnest possible holster that still worked. Depending on the day I may carry IWB. It's 10+1 but depending on my clothing I may use an extended mag.

It's a tradeoff for all of us. I can pop it into my pocket in a few seconds before running a quick errand so I carry it more often than I might otherwise.

My draw from my pocket is probably a full second slower than my IWB draw. I see that as a bigger hindrance than round capacity. Honestly, I'm an average middle-aged+ guy with decent training but zero combat experience. I would likely need something other than a handgun to preserver over multiple well-armed attackers.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    I know, right! This is why I rarely leave my house! I've got those ram resistant water filled doors for my sally ports, and bullet resistant windows that are too heavy to open, so it's a PITA to go out anyway. I do still worry about a thug tossing a bio-hazard grenade down my chimney or an exhaust vent, but have to draw the line somewhere. I just hope I'll make it to the panic room in time in that event. At least I don't have to worry about the wife and kids anymore. They were weak and oblivious anyway, and couldn't tell the difference between reasonable precaution and paranoia. They were likely to panic and get me killed anyway.

If I do need to go out, I don't go far. My Volvo's new roll cage and the racing harness make it a little uncomfortable, and the foam in the gas tank reduced it's range. The Kevlar plates in the doors, beefed up glass, etc. made the car pretty heavy, so my gas milage sucks anyway, but hey... it's the environment or me.

As for my EDC, I really don't do much. A little Sig P226 on the hip with the little 18rd mag so it doesn't print much. I have a couple larger mags in the special pockets I sew in my pants. "One is none", so I still carry the Hi Power in a shoulder rig (old habits die hard). The SP101 on the ankle keeps clacking with the P365 on the other, but I haven't yet decided between the reliability of the revolver, or the added capacity of the micro striker. For now, I'm just careful about how I walk. The one big comfort concession I made was to stop carrying the K-Bar on a neck lanyard. The chest plate kept pushing it into me and gave me a rash. Whatever - the Cold Steel Tanto will have to be enough.

Joking aside, I just do what seems reasonable for the situation I'm likely to be in, and accept that some freak senario may catch me unprepared - in gear. I'm always over prepared for what's likely to happen, and under prepared for what could possibly happen. Even in the military, I had to accept that we can't take everything, and that **** gets heavy. As the situations change - like 2020 - I adjust as seems fit.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I know, right! This is why I rarely leave my house! I've got those ram resistant water filled doors for my sally ports, and bullet resistant windows that are too heavy to open, so it's a PITA to go out anyway. I do still worry about a thug tossing a bio-hazard grenade down my chimney or an exhaust vent, but have to draw the line somewhere. I just hope I'll make it to the panic room in time in that event. At least I don't have to worry about the wife and kids anymore. They were weak and oblivious anyway, and couldn't tell the difference between reasonable precaution and paranoia. They were likely to panic and get me killed anyway.

If I do need to go out, I don't go far. My Volvo's new roll cage and the racing harness make it a little uncomfortable, and the foam in the gas tank reduced it's range. The Kevlar plates in the doors, beefed up glass, etc. made the car pretty heavy, so my gas milage sucks anyway, but hey... it's the environment or me.

As for my EDC, I really don't do much. A little Sig P226 on the hip with the little 18rd mag so it doesn't print much. I have a couple larger mags in the special pockets I sew in my pants. "One is none", so I still carry the Hi Power in a shoulder rig (old habits die hard). The SP101 on the ankle keeps clacking with the P365 on the other, but I haven't yet decided between the reliability of the revolver, or the added capacity of the micro striker. For now, I'm just careful about how I walk. The one big comfort concession I made was to stop carrying the K-Bar on a neck lanyard. The chest plate kept pushing it into me and gave me a rash. Whatever - the Cold Steel Tanto will have to be enough.

Joking aside, I just do what seems reasonable for the situation I'm likely to be in, and accept that some freak senario may catch me unprepared - in gear. I'm always over prepared for what's likely to happen, and under prepared for what could possibly happen. Even in the military, I had to accept that we can't take everything, and that **** gets heavy. As the situations change - like 2020 - I adjust as seems fit.
    Well composed and absolutely epic! Thanks for the laugh!:lmfao:

I'm in 100% agreement with your last paragraph, too.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    There's always gonna be situations, whether ones that have actually happened to someone or thought out in our minds that either a pocket gun or a G17 with 17+1 and reload won't do you any good. That's just how it is sometimes. Best bet is try not to put yourself in situations or areas where that could be the case for starters. Sometimes having situational awareness and common sense goes further than the best shooting skills will ever take you

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Interesting that some folks get to pick the gunfight that they will be in... :)

I guess Kamala did say that from day one, she's gonna stop the Venezuelan gangs from crossing the border? Right?
    So, I guess if I see a guy walking around with an M4 slung with an M203 and a surefire 60 with 2 reloads I can assume it's you?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The question is whether you try to be prepared for the modern day threat or not?

Do you think that your EDC "belly gun" to scare off or possibly shoot unarmed attackers is up to the job against a couple of thugs with modern hi-cap service pistols or even a long gun?

Can those touting that situational awareness will solve all problems not see that the modern day threat environment has changed to better armed thugs?

Can it not be seen that the threat in 2024 and beyond will not likely come unarmed or with low capacity firearms?

For the protection of me and mine, I may be outgunned slightly, but I have the advantage in practical proven skills and tactics, because I made sure to. :twocents:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom