• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    If I see it happening, I go out with some doggie bags in hand and very politely let them know that if they ever need a bag to feel free to knock. If we aren't home there will be some left in the mailbox too. It's all too easy to take off on a walk and forgot a bag. It's a very friendly gesture but it also makes it pretty clear you don't want their dog's crap in your yard, or anyone else's yard for that matter.

+1 for that. It would probably get the point across without making your fellow neighbors mad at you.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I work from home some of the time and I have seen people let their dog poop in my yard and start to walk away not knowing I was home. I go to the door and ask if they meant to pick it up or not. One girl didn't even have baggies with her and she did go home and get one and come back and clean up the mess.

My wife saw the neighbors let their dog run loose and go in our yard and she just calmly went out there with a shovel and took it down and plopped in right in the middle of their driveway while they stood and watched and she didn't say a word to them. Last time it happened.

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    No respect for people that let their dogs crap in my yard. I don't care that I have a dog of my own because I go out there and pick it up.

I'll go out there and tell them to pick it up. If they don't, I figure out where they live and they get it back one way or another.

Although, I like the motion activated sprinkler idea.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    If I see it happening, I go out with some doggie bags in hand and very politely let them know that if they ever need a bag to feel free to knock. If we aren't home there will be some left in the mailbox too. It's all too easy to take off on a walk and forgot a bag. It's a very friendly gesture but it also makes it pretty clear you don't want their dog's crap in your yard, or anyone else's yard for that matter.

Why be polite about it? Why show these people respect when they obviously had none for you in the first place?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Follow the owner back home. Return the poop. Front porch, or window, is a fine spot.

I would let it fester for a while first. Rank dog poop with maggots.

Incredibly enough, though, some folks don't see the big deal.

And there's always punjii stakes.

IfUDare01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Fishers
    Something like this.

Funny-Dog-Sign.jpg

I really like this sign. If you can't wait and find the person that keeps letting their dog poop in your yard. Then use it. Why not. Good luck.

chris46131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Franklin
    Why spend the money? Save it for about a month in a plastic bag sealed tight so it does not dry out, bring it back to them all at once in their yard.

Yes, also a fine idea. I guess my thinking was if it comes via the mail, it will make it into the house.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Why be polite about it? Why show these people respect when they obviously had none for you in the first place?

Because I'm a polite person...? You don't always have to be rude right back...why escalate it? In many, many cases, at least at my place, the people are extremely thankful and extremely polite. They either forgot a bag or they just don't consider it disrespectful. I realize that doesn't mean it's not in fact disrespectful, but why would you want to start something with your neighbors? I'd rather help a neighbor out and maybe even teach them a lesson in respect/manners.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. (And you are MUCH nicer and have more patience than I do!)

(Out of rep right now, but as soon as I get some back, it's headed your way)

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Follow the owner back home. Return the poop. Front porch, or window, is a fine spot.
    I've done that in the past. Front porch worked for me. One time, I spotted an old lady letting her dog sniff in my front yard. She saw me watching her and moved on. There always have been and always will be inconsiderate people. My father walks his dog in his neighborhood and wouldn't consider picking up after it.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Because I'm a polite person...? You don't always have to be rude right back...why escalate it? In many, many cases, at least at my place, the people are extremely thankful and extremely polite. They either forgot a bag or they just don't consider it disrespectful. I realize that doesn't mean it's not in fact disrespectful, but why would you want to start something with your neighbors? I'd rather help a neighbor out and maybe even teach them a lesson in respect/manners.

No need to make enemies when you don't have to. Especially in your own neighborhood. Being polite might establish a new life long friend. Why increase your list of enemies over dog poop.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I guess I'm going to be the odd guy here because I don't consider a dog pooping to be the great insult a person could ever make to the neighbor. I give neighbor dogs a freebie here and there. When you gotta go you've gotta go, and since I used to have to pick up my own dogs poo after a week before mowing it was just as easy to the use the poo picker up and grab one more. Usually just letting your neighbors know you know who's doing it is enough to shame them into stopping.

On the other hand I can see if this was a repeat offender that it may be money well spent to put out one of the signs and I especially like the motion detection sprinkler. I think that's brilliant. Setting something up like that in your own yard is one thing. Going out of your way to pick it up and return it to the proper owner doesn't seem any more neighborly than what they just did. You want to be better than what they did, not just as bad.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Put some balls of chocolate chip cookie dough in the area where they poop. That's hard for dogs not to eat them. Usually will give them diarrhea and makes the dogs owners carpet very messy.

chuck

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    As a dog owner who walks our dog, it's common courtesy to carry something to pick up your own dog's waste when it goes in someone else's yard. However, as with anything in this day in age, common courtesy is a thing of the past.

While walking our 80 lb monster, I forgot to bring along a plastic bag one time and he had already taken a poop in our own yard before the walk. He went in someone else's yard, but I didn't have anything to pick it up. I took him home, and then went back down to the guy's yard in my car with plastic bags to pick it up. As I'm almost done picking it up, this lady comes out and starts yelling at me to get out of her yard. I explain to her what my dog did and what I'm doing, and she just yells at me more. So, I left. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

If it were me, I would hang out in the front of your house until you see it happen again, and then go out and talk to the guy/gal about it face to face.

Top Bottom