• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I don't know if any of my neighbors are prepping or not. They have no idea that I am, but some of them do know we like to shoot. I am worried about when TSHTF since I don't think many of them are the prepping types. This is a residential neighborhood on the south side of Indy and I just don't see many of these folks fitting the bill of a prepper.

I honestly don't know how I'd handle it if the single mom from across the street comes over for help. Or, the single mom with 2 little kids next door. My guess is that I'd give them enough to get them to their respective parents houses and try to help them get there.

When it's a horde of zombies roaming the neighborhood looking for easy targets, it's easy to think of breaking out the weapons and defending turf, but when it's the woman who was abused by her ex and is now raising kids on her own, the picture changes quickly.

Maybe bugging out is a good idea if for no other reason than you cannot support an entire neighborhood alone, and staying is risking taking on just that task.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I've tried to talk to my family about it but they either think I'm nuts or nothing that bad will ever happen here , so each week I make a point of buying some bags of beans and rice .

That way when they come to my house I'll give them the B&R and send them on their way with a hearty "hope it works out for you , bye" .

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    It would be tough for most of us to tell a single mom or a young child they couldn't have any food. Its not a good thought really to think about decisions you may have to make in a crisis buy you have to take care of your family first.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Trash....
    It speaks volumes about the owner.

I shred EVERYTHING that has my name, address or anything on it that can identify it's origins.
    If you steal my trash... all you get is trash.
    If I can't shred it, I burn it.
    Keep my mouth shut, load and unload the vehicles discretely, shoot on private land, and the most important..... pay cash for everything!
    Cash is still king even though G. Gordon Liddy say's it's only worth 27% less today than in the year 2k.:):

Trading and bartering is still profitable and fun!

Never drive the same direction twice in one day. Never back track unless you think your being followed. If you think your being followed; flank your pursuer and immobilize them... with whatever means you fine necessary.
    IE: Slice, shovel and shut up!

Avoid: Facebook, Twitter, Myspace and any other social networking sites.
    Cell Phone: If you can't say it in a quiet but crowded restaurant at the top of your lungs... DO NOT SAY IT ON A CELL PHONE! PERIOD!!!
    Cells are not at all secure... someone is listening to your conversation at all times somewhere!
    Do not fart in church... ok this is not a "low key" situation... it's just bad manners!

If someone walks into your life unannounced and acts like a long lost friend or their overly friendly... don't be concerned about being aloof or quiet.
    Just because there nice doesn't mean their not out to take everything you own or spy on you. Remember Randy Weaver?

And one last low key item...
    Don't covet thy neighbors cat... that's just sick!

Octomonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Markle
    One way to stay low key is to not post too much information on an internet forum.

I've really only talked a little with my dad, girlfriend and closest real friends about SHTF situations. My girlfriend has stated she'll want to go be with her family and I told her I'll allow that, but I know they are in no way prepared for long term SHTF conditions. I won't be hindered by ill-preparedness when I already have a prepared location available to me, so at that point we'd have to part ways.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    How do we keep a secret? We don't tell anybody! Seriously,I, like many of you can't find ANYONE (outside of you good people) who prepare for SHTF. I know many who keep extra food and don't think that's nuts. That makes sense to a lot of folks. But mention real bad scenarios that might call for fighting together, and it gets real quiet. After all, we've had peace and order for many decades, outside of rare riots and disasters.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Not much I can do about my LP tank, it's bright silver but owned by the LP company.

My wife and I had a buried LP tank at our house in Atlanta. We had to buy it (around $600 for the tank), but it hides underground and has a fill spout that looks just like a septic cleanout.

emrock32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    FW IN
    Um. I'm not sure I understand. Whay do you need to prep this much? And why do you want to stay low key? Is there a attack coming up that i dont know about? lol feed me the info!!

Octomonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Markle
    Um. I'm not sure I understand. Whay do you need to prep this much? And why do you want to stay low key? Is there a attack coming up that i dont know about? lol feed me the info!!

It's a "better safe than sorry" approach many of us like to take to be prepared just in case. None of us want anything bad to happen, but if it does, at least we can be able to survive for as long as we can. If nothing happens, then so be it. :)

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    It's a "better safe than sorry" approach many of us like to take to be prepared just in case. None of us want anything bad to happen, but if it does, at least we can be able to survive for as long as we can. If nothing happens, then so be it. :)

Correct.... like firearms.... it's better to have 'em and not need 'em, than it would be to need 'em and not have 'em.... :patriot:

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    Another thing to keep in the back of your mind is the anti-hoarding laws and all the executive orders that JFK put in effect (for govt seizing control of roads, farms, land, fuel, et al).
    Now, couple that with the power of a 'civilian army just as large and just as well funded as the military'.
    If ANYONE (like some acorn census taker) knows about any preps, they got your lag/long and can outgun you.
    Just some food for thought.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    not alway true

Correct.... like firearms.... it's better to have 'em and not need 'em, than it would be to need 'em and not have 'em.... :patriot:

Out in the country, you have to make some noise (now and then) so the neighbors know you have at least a .22 cal rifle.....

Its also your Liberal or anti gun detector!

There is nothing better than talking the the police at your gate (closed, Police outside and me inside) asking you questions at 10:30 in the morning. Found out who my anti neighbor was. Officer said have a nice day and enjoy shooting!

The gun was a M44. Knowing that, I understand the "fear" they had from the sound of that gun.

emrock32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    FW IN
    Well I dont really prep for diaster yet. But for some reason I do keep a bug-out bag for no reason. I thought it would come in handy one day. Other than that I usually dont allow people to go into my room when Im not their and If I am I do not let them in my closet. Thats where I keep my old fashioned missle case that I store all my gun and personal protection items as well as my bug out bag and survival equipment.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head

Its more of a way of thinking that less is more. If people know you have something then they may want to take it later which could lead to a dangerous situation. For example, people will break in and steal a TV because they want it but imagine how much they will want your food and water after not having their own for a couple days. Personally, I believe I have the same thought as most people which is that I never want to have to need the preps I have stored.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom