• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • United

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Someone on here several months ago said something that really registered with me. In a long term SHTF scenario can you imagine anything more likely to draw a crowd than the sound of a generator running when there are no other sounds to be heard. And not necessarily a hey, you mind if I join you type crowd.

Might have been me that said that somewhere actually...That is my biggest concern if a bad SHTF scenario happened..and I had to bug in instead of out.

Being in a neighborhood where houses are darn near on top of each other...can you imagine what will happen once I fire up my generator and the neighbor across the street, who is indeed armed, wants shelter, food and electricity for his wife and 3 kids! He knows I am armed as well, but he does not know about my SHTF supply though. it's just something that you have to be prepared mentally for I guess.

I am working on a solar generator, but that can not be trusted 100% in any scenario really. But it might help out a bit...if I ever get it built!

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    I agree with the cash sentiment, when and where possible.

Most of it is time. A little here, a little there. Of course I have no neighbors within eyeshot, no will likely ever have, but still, the little here, little there helps.

We always cover guns when transporting them anywhere. But on the flip side, almost everyone where I live carries guns all the time, so probably not a big deal.

I also avoid the camo look unless it's hunting season. Wearing it at other times of the year is a sure sign. I also avoid any shirts, hats, tees with gun/survival equipment logos (or most logos for that matter).

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Being in a neighborhood where houses are darn near on top of each other...can you imagine what will happen once I fire up my generator and the neighbor across the street, who is indeed armed, wants shelter, food and electricity for his wife and 3 kids! He knows I am armed as well, but he does not know about my SHTF supply though. it's just something that you have to be prepared mentally for I guess. this was a quote from United

Just a thought; run the house off battery inverter first 3-days.
    Anyone asking, you're just holding out.

Those that aren't prepared will leave the neighborhood.

Those still around were prepared, therefore an asset.
    Generators are quiet if left in the garage with exhaust being routed outdoors and down into a 5-gal. bucket of water.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Family of 5 with two teenaged boys. Prepping is kind of like Fight Club; it doesn't exist and you never talk about it.

I like this approach. I've talked with neighbors about hunting & fishing and we know that we all have guns. Doesn't mean I'm going into detail about every gun. I'll talk about my puma 44mag rifle all day long, because it's a hunting rifle, but magazine fed rifles are out of the conversation.

When I was a high school kid with load speakers in my car I asked a guy what the best alarm system was to protect it. He said "The best protection is nobody knowing that you have it." There is a lot of wisdom in that statement.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Now, who could resist being friends with a monkey ? :dunno:
    You got a very valid point...
    bongo_022.gif

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Interesting thread. Of interest to me is how many people think they need to hide what they have. Must be an urban thing where folks live on top of one another. You see, it would be impossible for me to have no one know I had guns with all the bang! bang! bang! going on in the back yard almost daily. I've learned there are 2 kinds of people who live aroung me. The first kind hear me shooting and load up their own and come for a visit to see if they can join in. The second kind are scared to death and usually sell out and move fairly quickly. The folks that would come visit have a pretty good idea of how well prepared I am and I know their situation also. We will work together. The others I'm not concerned about. After only a few days they will have moved on any way.

Living in the country eliminates a lot of concerns.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Living in the country eliminates a lot of concerns.

To a certain degree yes. But if the SHTF, and all the townies run out of food and their homes and stores have been looted down to nothing and crime runs rampant, where do you think they'll turn? Straight to the country my friend... to the farms. The country will be their only hope.

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    The person who told the story about the car alarm had it right. Just don't let strangers see your stuff laying around. Our neighbors know we're prepared, but so are they.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    To a certain degree yes. But if the SHTF, and all the townies run out of food and their homes and stores have been looted down to nothing and crime runs rampant, where do you think they'll turn? Straight to the country my friend... to the farms. The country will be their only hope.

I said before I am hoping all the folks in NW Indiana thin all of those neighbors to the West down before they get this far. Now you make me think I should try to get to my family in Eastern Kentucky. Most of the county is at least part kin. Nearest big city would be Lexington and no way those people would make it through all the hollers between them and my area.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Someone on here several months ago said something that really registered with me. In a long term SHTF scenario can you imagine anything more likely to draw a crowd than the sound of a generator running when there are no other sounds to be heard. And not necessarily a hey, you mind if I join you type crowd.

A few weeks ago when my power was out all day , I was worried for the elderly couple across the street from me .

They had a jenny going in their shed making a lot of noise . I was thinking if the outage lasted a few days things could get ugly for them .

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    When Delaware county had the ice storm a few years back it was open season on BSU campus because everybody went home to get away. If I were living in my permanent home then, I think I would have had to been locking down the house and keeping an eye on my property just in case of thieves.

Top Bottom