• ...and so much more!
  • Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Yats? Mehh, it's ok.

As far as The Roux is concerned, get it Angry and add grilled onions. Ask what the special is for the day and you can add BACON for free. This is INGO, right? Everyone still loves bacon? Ok, good. My favorite is the pulled chicken, but everytime they have fresh seafood for the special for the day... I get that! Those shrimp are fresh and not little ones out of a bag like you make think, they are straight from the Gulf.

I haven't been there since they switched over to the local-sodas, but I always get sweet tea anyway. I try and go after the rush hours, but from what Art has said, there ALWAYS in rush hours lately because of the media frenzy!

No one else has said anything on the 2A part, so I will mention that Papa nor Mama have ever had an issue with me OC'ing or CC'ing there.

Not sure if it is 100% true, but I was told the other day that the City Market location has shut down?

Anyway, live and learn. Next time I'll try the sausage and egg or pulled chicken. The grilled hotdog Po Boy? Not so much...

Last edited:

CLR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    the Roux makes me miss living on the east side. I do occasionally get a sandwich at the city market though.
    Make sure you leave room for bread pudding at the end :D

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Not sure if it is 100% true, but I was told the other day that the City Market location has shut down?

I have read the same thing. Anyone know if it's true? I asked in the other thread, but didn't get any responses, but the thread had pretty well run its course. Let's try again. :D

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    Just to answer a few items in here

City Market Papa Roux is no more, Papa closed it a few weeks ago.

The only Yats that is any good is the one in Broad Ripple, the original where Joe works. I have tried the others and the flavor isn't as good at those. IMO

Papa's seafood is fresh, sometimes he goes down south to get it himself.

I asked Papa about oyster po-boys, he told me that the oil spill ruined the oysters down there. He was saying the fishermen say the look, smell, and feel wierd. They won't eat them, so Papa won't serve them.

I personally love the new sodas and everyone I know has loved them also.

Can't say I've ever had a bad visit to Papa Roux or Yat's in BR.

OP I think this may have just been a few and far between experience. I have never been treated like you said you were treated. I hope you give them another chance, I think they serve great food by great people. I know they have a lot of things going on with the major boost in publicity they have gotten. If you do go back, which I hope you do, try talking to Papa about your concerns from your last visit, I'm pretty sure he will try to make it right.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I've read the hype. I've bordered on lusting for this delicious culinary treat found in some unlikely destination like 10th and Post. Heard that the owners are 2A friendly. How could I not tell my wife about this Zanadu and pack her up and head to the East side?

Ok, the place is packed, you can hardly get in the door. The only menu is on a chalk board above the counter so it is make a decision quick time. I ask for 2 oyster po boys. Get a blank stare. No oyster po boys? I didn't think there was any other kind. No matter how about shrimp? The gal answers yes, today they have shrimp. My mind says "today"? Should have been a tip off. I order a side of red beans and rice and two Pepsi's. She asks if this is to go and I say no we are eating here. She tears off the ticket and starts to write again giving me a look like"noob" BTW we now have local made cola and other sodas she says ( think soda stream machine) She is very polite and tells me that the sides and drinks are orderd at the table. Cool no problem but by now I am feeling like an INGOer with 3 posts complaining about the classifieds.

Skip ahead, beans and rice and corn bread come, sodas I would stay away from, they taste like water. The beans tasted like they came right out of a can. No flavor at all. Skip ahead further. The Shrimp po boys come and what shrimp are on the sandwich are salad sized boiled shrimp? WTF??? It is basically a coleslaw sandwich with a few little boiled shrimp.

I am not naive enough to think that all you INGOers are wrong but I would prefer to think that either I was just there on a bad day or I simply didn't order the right things. I saw other patrons eating huge sandwiches filled with meat and theirs weren't dripping all over the place. BTW that place needs to have napkins available.

What do you order when you go to Papa Roux? Help me to go back.

You obviously hate your LGS and want to drive them out of business...oh wait, this is about restaurants. :D

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    Forgot to add try the pulled pork or pulled chicken frito pie. It isn't on the menu but they will make it and it is delicious. Add voux doux onions.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Just to answer a few items in here

City Market Papa Roux is no more, Papa closed it a few weeks ago.

The only Yats that is any good is the one in Broad Ripple, the original where Joe works. I have tried the others and the flavor isn't as good at those. IMO

Papa's seafood is fresh, sometimes he goes down south to get it himself.

I asked Papa about oyster po-boys, he told me that the oil spill ruined the oysters down there. He was saying the fishermen say the look, smell, and feel wierd. They won't eat them, so Papa won't serve them.

I personally love the new sodas and everyone I know has loved them also.

Can't say I've ever had a bad visit to Papa Roux or Yat's in BR.

OP I think this may have just been a few and far between experience. I have never been treated like you said you were treated. I hope you give them another chance, I think they serve great food by great people. I know they have a lot of things going on with the major boost in publicity they have gotten. If you do go back, which I hope you do, try talking to Papa about your concerns from your last visit, I'm pretty sure he will try to make it right.

As for Yats: I believe that all of the food is made at the Broad Ripple location and shipped out to the others. I don't think anything is actually made at the other stores. The food is exactly the same except it has been kept warm longer so I could see how that might change it a little.

Also I want to make sure that in no way do I feel that I was really treated badly only that I didn't care for what I ordered and wanted to know what were better options. I'll admit the wait was long but they were PACKED!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Just go to Yat's and enjoy some great Cajun...

Four locations - A different menu each day.

TK
    I'll join the Yat's club. I've known Joe for many, many years (before he even moved up here and opened Yat's) and he has a wiz hand in the kitchen. His menu's at Yat's are a great reflection of that skill. Glad to see he's expanding in the area and opening up to franchising. As for Papa Roux's...I haven't been. My wife ate there once and wasn't overly impressed and hasn't been back since. We're used to real New Orleans food, so maybe her expectations were set too high. Maybe I'll make it down there one of these days.

Top Bottom