How do you carry your handgun while in a car?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I have not been able to find a holster that is comfortable to wear while in the car so I was wondering where do you guys have your hand gun while driving your cars? If its in a holster what kind and what position?

Thanks in advance.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I have not been able to find a holster that is comfortable to wear while in the car so I was wondering where do you guys have your hand gun while driving your cars? If its in a holster what kind and what position?

Thanks in advance.
    Hello, me again. I just put it either in the console in the middle or the slot on the door and quit trying to find some funky way to keep it on my person while driving. It's easy to get to and you can reholster it when/before you get out.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Quit crying... thanks.

But to be useful, I leave it in the exact same position I do when walking... I adjust the belt.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    In the same holster in the same position (about 4 o'clock) as any other time. Guess I've gotten used to it, though the hard plastic part of the seatbelt is getting torn up a bit from the Kydex holster.

I prefer not to take it off and put it back on, unless I really need to. Less of a chance for ND.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    find a good holster that is comfortable while sitting. I usually move my Galco or Raven to about 4 O'Clock when driving to clear the seatbelt.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I do NOT unholster my weapon when getting into or out of the car.

Way too many chances for an ND while handling the weapon.

I either remove the entire holster/firearm together and put it in the console or I "tough it out".

It's amazing at how much more comfortable it is to drive with a pistol holstered IWB since I've lost 55lbs.

-J-

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I do NOT unholster my weapon when getting into or out of the car.

Way too many chances for an ND while handling the weapon.

I either remove the entire holster/firearm together and put it in the console or I "tough it out".

It's amazing at how much more comfortable it is to drive with a pistol holstered IWB since I've lost 55lbs.

-J-
    Good for you. I'm still chubby and I gotta put it in the console.
    :):

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    it mostly boils down to what you prefer. if you want to risk a ND by pulling your weapon out of its holster, be my guest and put it somewhere. it you want to pull your whole assembly off your belt, thats prolly better.

I remember someone posting an under the steering wheel holster that was also an IWB holster... you just pulled it off the strap and put it on your belt... I can't find it though.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I use a IWB carry holster. If you open carry I always thought that the Blackhawk quick disconnect system would be ideal for switching from holster on your hip to mounted in the car and back.

Here is a video of how it works:

YouTube - SerpaQD

Here is what the male and female parts look like:

BlackhawkSerpaQuickDisconnectKit.jpg

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    I carry my 1911 in a Galco Royal Guard inside the waist band @ about 4 o'clock. Very comfortable, my wallet bothers me more than the gun while driving. That said if your right handed a Galco ankle glove with a S&W airwhgt can't be beat, unless you drive a stick shift, then you have to toss it in neutral before you draw it. If you lift your left leg to your hand it is easy money in the car seated.

Top Bottom