• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USDS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2013
    I have some new Caterpillar boots that felt great yesterday but today are rubbing my heels pretty badly. I've completely soaked them in water and am wearing them to break them in faster. Is this a good method? What do you guys do with a new pair of boots to break them in?

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    The most effective method I've ever found to break in boots is simple use. If they are rubbing now but weren't before it may be because you bought them a little too large. When they are new, too tight is better than too loose because they usually stretch a bit. :twocents:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Never heard of soaking them in WATER to break them in.

Did a 12 mile road march in a new pair of lots I got the day before. It w our quartermaster refit and I had the option of turning in 1 or 2 pairs of boots for new ones. Being a cheapskate, I wasn't going to pass up on that free pair of boots. I soaked them in the shower and wore them all night before the march. Wore a pair of knee highs under my socks and didn't get a single blister in 12 miles.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I would find random people, throw them to the ground, and place said boot on their neck.

Seriously, mink oil and wear them.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Put band aids on the wear spots on your feet to keep blisters from happening or continuing until boots wear in...AND

Wear them in the SHOWER 2 or 3 times if they are leather.

Thats what we did in the Navy. Let them hang dry overnight.

xcalibur

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    As others have suggested, Moleskin on the hot spots covered with duct tape.
    Really, don't use mink oil on your leather boots especially if they are used for hiking. It will soften the leather alright, but you will lose the support you need which could lead to further problems. Just wear the boots often. Hopefully they are not oversize.
    I have a pair of boots that are oversize for cooler weather, to be worn with 2 pair of socks. They feel sloppy and cause too much heat on the heel with one pair of socks.
    When it comes to boots, size matters.

I have purchased quite a few boots in my day and am always happier with a snug fit out of the gate.

Sole integrity is the big issue these days.

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    Reading this thread makes me happy about the new boots I bought...:laugh:

5.11 Haste boots 13EE - awsome pair of shoes!

OP: Good luck!

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Greenwood
    Proper sizing is critical...boots shouldn't slip/rub enough to cause blisters. I got a new pair of Thorogood's two weeks ago, no break-in needed. I wore them around the house for an afternoon as a trial run, but they've been gtg at work all day. I highly recommend the brand...one of the few still made in US :yesway:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I give them to an Impd buddy who breaks them in for me... Just have to rinse the blood off..... Just kidding. I wear them a few times on days off then just man up, have heard soaking them in water and all helps.

Top Bottom