• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It's been my experience that high quality footwear doesn't need "broken in". Not work boots, not hiking boots, not dress shoes, tennis shoes, casual work shoes, etc etc.

Of course, on the work-boot side of things, I have definitely had some that needed broken in. I just wore them for work and gritted it out. Never had any blister spots, though, just really stiff leather behind the steel toe.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    I have some new Caterpillar boots...

That's your problem right there. They should stick to heavy equipment.

I've been wearing work boots for 30 years and tried them all. Wolverine are the best you can buy IMO. I'm currently in the Durashock 3D's.

Last edited:

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Pay someone with the same size feet to wear them for you,:laugh: I have used vaseline to soften the leather a little bit, also my Dad used to stuff wet newspaper in them overnight to stretch them just a little bit.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    If you're still having trouble with them after a while and need to purchase a new pair. Ariat makes a really nice set of boots. Ive had mine for a good while now and ill never go back to anything else. They were a little money but worth every penny. Mine are so comfortable that i wear them even when im not at work.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Never heard of soaking them in WATER to break them in.

It can work but you have to let them dry naturally and mold to your feet like Hornandy did. Leather is skin and the water makes it subtle enough to form to your fit. Holster makers do the same thing with holsters for that "custom fit."

After they dry you treat the leather with beeswax, mink oil, or your own choice of preseravtive.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Wear new boots. Jog in place. Breaking in a pair of leather boots to me is all about working in the bend. At first, the leather bends into the top of your foot uncomfortably. After working the leather, the bend crease will multiply into several creases which provide more comfort. You can also just hold the boot and bend the toes back and forth for as long as you can stand it.

Top Bottom