How do you apply for a silencer licence?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've been wanting to get a silencer for some time now because well lets face it, they're awsome! I don't know how to start the process and how much bread i need to put aside?
    If anyone outhere can help me out, it's be much appriciated

SEMPER FIDELIS DEVILS

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Since it's not answered in the linked thread, I'll answer here: You can expect to pay $200-$1000 (+$200 for the one-time tax stamp) for a suppressor. The one I bought was about $250, and it fits .22LR caliber firearms. A typical 9mm or .223 suppressor will generally be in the $500 range.

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    yea, i've got a little walther p.22 that id like to can Tactical Innovations TAC65 .22lr suppressor. i just got done talkin with a guy at dons guns and he said that he'd help me out with the paperwork. right on for the posts

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    i just got done talkin with a guy at dons guns and he said that he'd help me out with the paperwork.

I'm gonna pretend I didn't just hear you say that* and politely suggest that you check out Beechgrove Firearms, SSNFA, or 21st Century. :D

You'll probably save yourself paying double or triple the price, too.

*Do a search on that establishment and you'll see why.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Yes, I'd tell ya that you will have better luck with SSNFA, since you appear to be local to Indy, and the best part is that they are an INGO supporter.

knobcreeknut

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    shelbyville
    considering doing business at Don's ? RUN AWAY RUN AWAY
    there are many dealers on here with far better business ethics, prices, reputations, attitudes, and intelligence than the people at Dons. please do yourself a favor and do your homework.

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    yea, dons DEFINATELY isn't my 1st choice. but all i need them for is to start the paperwork. I would never buy anything from there

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    yea, dons DEFINATELY isn't my 1st choice. but all i need them for is to start the paperwork. I would never buy anything from there

No, you don't. The dealer you buy the can from will start your paperwork for you. You can't do anything until you pay for the suppressor anyway, so there's no point in going to two different dealers.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I agree, there is no reason for another dealer to "start" the paperwork. There is nothing to really "start". The dealer you're buying from fills out his portion, you fill out your portion and the CLEO fills out his portion. I'm positive that any NFA dealer knows how to fill out his portion. And I'm sure you know how to write down your name address etc and sign and date a form (and the dealer you buy it from can help you if you don't) so I don't see why there would be any need to involve a 3rd dealer in the process. What that dealer is likely trying to do is get you trapped in. He will help you to fill out the paperwork and put all the information in there for a suppressor that he has and wants to sell you.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I will be at Indy this weekend, and we're expecting another dozen Tac-65's any day now.... 229.95 get you the can... PM me for more info..

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    PM sent. I will have Thompson Machine Zephyr XL's at the show that are Demo's.

I sell them for $199.95 plus tax. I also have 10 prototypes enroute that will be somewhere between $150-$175 each. No difference in suppression between the two, just some finish problems and size variations with a couple of the prototypes.

Check your PM or give me a call.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Something else for you to know about your P-22:

You'll need a "thread adapter" for your barrel. Those run anywhere from $25-35.

You can't just screw the suppressor onto the stock P-22 barrel. This adapter screws on to the barrel, and then the suppressor screws onto the adapter.

Wouldn't want you to be finally get your suppressor after a 4 month wait, only to not be able to shoot it because you can't attach it!

I'd also suggest that you look into a Tactical Innovations "Stratus" suppressor. This is what I have for my P-22 and Ruger 22/45.

-J-

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've already got the thread adaptor with a fake suppressor, just for looks...
    Don's never quoted me any price on a suppressor, i didnt know that i had to actually buy a suppressor to start paperwork, im slowly learning the process by reading and youz guyz.
    hopefully i'll be at the show on sat at some point.
    Whats the difference in the tac-65 and the stratus? id like a nice ported one if not one with uh "groves"? i believe they all come apart so you can clean em and they must be sprayed down with a certain can of i dont know what...
    im diggin these posts, and right on

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    i believe they all come apart so you can clean em and they must be sprayed down with a certain can of i dont know what...
    im diggin these posts, and right on

Some, not all, of them can be disassembled for cleaning. In either case they can generally be shipped back to the manufacturer for cleaning. I've had people tell me they've put 10,000 rounds down their Tac65 without cleaning it before the lead build-up has gotten to be an issue.

As for "spraying them down", I have no idea what you're talking about. I've never sprayed my Tac65 down with anything.

Top Bottom