• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I currently have 12 NFA items in my inventory.
    Over the last 10 years, or so, I have not been asked to show papers once.
    But, you are not LEGALLY required to provide that paperwork to anyone but an ATF agent.
    That being said, discretion is the better part of valor if confronted by someone not legally authorized to see proof of a stamp.
    I carry digital copies of all my stamps on my phone with originals in my safe at home.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    I printed all mine out, at a reduced size (approx size of a 3x5 index card) then laminated them, like a backstage pass. They reside in the respective cases for each item.
    I also have them on my phone.

I have never had anyone ask to see them, though I did have an interesting encounter with ISP, back in the 80's.
    I was a touring musician at the time, and had just picked up a new Steinberger bass in Indy. You've seen artists use these, they look like an all black carbon fiber canoe paddle, and are cased in a leather gig bag that looks just like a scoped rifle case.
    I was passing thru South Bend on my way to Michigan, about 1a.m. Little to no traffic, so I swerved to avoid a large chuckhole in the road (imagine that....SB had crappy roads even before Pete Butt-gig got his hands on the city).
    Trooper coming the other way saw this, did a u-y, and pulled me over. I disuaged her thoughts of DUI, but her eyes got big when her flashlight played over that case in the backseat. "Is that a rifle?"
    I told her "No, it's a bass" but her look said she wasn't convinced of the veracity of my statement. So I told her to open it and look. She was fascinated with this new technology, and it led to a pleasant conversation about stuff, as she was also musically inclined, and played several instruments.
    We chatted about 15 minutes, while the cold air removed any road haze from my eyes.....and she was pretty cute, after all.
    She cut me loose, but I'll never forget her expression when she thought there might be a horrible rifle in her presence.
    As if she worried that it might leap out of its case and assault her.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I have heard they also want documentation to buy ammo.
    Correct. They will want to see your drivers license. They would not accept my CAC...even though it is a Federally issued ID vs a state issued ID. They want your personal info.

Needless to say, the ammo was left on the counter, the door did not hit me on the ass, and I have never been back to any of their stores. NEVER AGAIN.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I’ve had NFA stuff for around 20 years, and I’ve never had to show any documentation.
    It’s a double edged sword though:
    With pistol braces being so prevalent, your average cop might not notice the difference. I work in law enforcement, and a small minority of cops are actually into guns. Along with that, suppressors, SBR’s, and the like are WAY more common today than they were when I first got into it.
    That said, you might run into “that guy” who’s an over zealous rookie and insist on taking it back to the department’s property room to sort out later. I could definitely see having the paperwork to aid in explaining what it is, and saving you the trouble of retrieving it. Plus if it’s expensive, there’s no telling on how they handle it with transport. To be clear, I’m not justifying it. I’m just saying that I could see it happening and it could be a hassle.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Correct. They will want to see your drivers license. They would not accept my CAC...even though it is a Federally issued ID vs a state issued ID. They want your personal info.

Needless to say, the ammo was left on the counter, the door did not hit me on the ass, and I have never been back to any of their stores. NEVER AGAIN.

Were they just checking your birthdate to see if you were 21 for handgun ammo? Or did they actually want to scan / record your ID?

HK Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    People get all bent out of shape with the "it's federal tax documents" thing. Here's the real thing, most if not all NFA is illegal in Indiana UNLESS you comply with Federal Laws. Soooooo, I think a guy could take a ride for having an "illegal" SBR or whatever and refusing to show the paperwork. Ya, you would beat the case in the end, but at what cost?

Me, I'll show my paperwork to any LEO that asks and go about my day. It's worth noting that 99.9% would have no clue what they were looking at. That said, I've been in the game for a long time and have never been asked.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    The "binder" has copies and not the originals...correct?

Forgive my ignorance on this issue, I'm new to this game, but aren't they all copies now? I got my first "stamp" last month, and it was just a pdf file. Prints off 3 pages, one has a picture of a stamp over half of the page, and rest is all info. Was told that it's how they do it now.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    My NFA items were filed electronically, thus I have a digital copy of such saved on a locked file in my phone. If the event ever arises where I was required to provide proof on the spot, I can pull my form 4 up, enable guided access, and allow said appropriate authority figure view my personal tax form.
    I have paper duplicates in a safe deposit box, my safe, and digitally copies on a hard drive and laptop kept in a safe.
    All I hear is "regulate me harder, Daddy gov" hahahaha

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Forgive my ignorance on this issue, I'm new to this game, but aren't they all copies now? I got my first "stamp" last month, and it was just a pdf file. Prints off 3 pages, one has a picture of a stamp over half of the page, and rest is all info. Was told that it's how they do it now.
    Not sure what they are actually doing now. All of mine (last one from 2021) were paper Form 4s that were were approved, signed, and sent back to the FFL with an actual NFA Tax Stamp on them.

The only one I got electronically (pdf) was a Form1 that I submitted electronically.

That said...I have scanned the paper Form 4s to pdfs that I keep on my phone as well as copies that I carry in my range bags.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I keep digital copies on my phone (as well as a backup copy on a thumb drive) but do have paper copies in my range bag (suppressors) and rifle bags (SBR's).

Top Bottom