How do I buy a used gun (not from a store)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    CYOA - That was told to me buy a wise man a long time ago. In case you don't know, it means Cover Your Own A**. You, IMO, should want some kind of paper work, just in case. You never know what someone will sale under the guise of being honest.

Point - Be careful, there are plenty of good, honest people out there, but the one time you think it's cool, you will get burned.

Good luck, and make sure you come back and let us know what you got.

Doug

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    1)The individual that is making the sale as well as yourself decide the terms and conditions of the sale.( Bill of sale,LTCH, DL#, first born....whatever is wanted)
    2)If you want, have your local PD run the serial numbers to check to see if it is stolen. (I would suggest that this occur prior to your purchase)

TripleL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    The Rockies
    Personally, I prefer to buy from an INGO member although that's not an absolute guarantee.

When I checked with the Sheriff's Dept. about a handgun sometime ago, I was told that unless it was reported in the same county they would not have a record of it. Prior to my calling them, I called the local police department, the state police and the BATF. I just got referred to the next agency so I gave up.

When I sell a handgun, I always have a Bill of Sale/Transfer of Ownership signed by both parties.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    As all above have stated, you are fine to go, pay him, take his gun, and go have fun.

However, I would recommend doing it in a semi public place(not in a store, maybe a parking lot though), if you do it at your house or his, there is always a chance you could get robbed. Better safe then sorry, can't trust some of the crazies, this person may not have a gun at all and is trying to set you up where he knows you have money to steal.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    You go up to 38th and sherman, wad of unmarked twenties, look for Jamal, black hoodie that says F*** you pig! on the back, tell him Tyrone sent you!!!! If you get busted, don't rat out the homies or we gonna hafta bust a cap in you a**!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Pay the guy, shake hands and go shootin'.
    +1
    That is how I've ALWAYS done it. One time I had a fellow INGO member ask to see my LTCH when buying a handgun, but that was it, and a guy from another forum ask to see ID for proof of age (I was only 19 at that time).

I've never written a bill of sale for a FTF purchase and probably never will unless the seller wants to do one. IMHO, it's just not needed.

bigman502

Plinker
    Rating - 75%
    2   1   1
    Feb 27, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I have always believed why would you do any paperwork on a gun if you dont have to.I enjoy not having a gun in my name because it is my right to.There is no law saying that you have to fill out paperwork on a gun and as long as you are an upstanding citizen you will probley not even be charged with a crime if you are caught with a stolen gun if you are honest with the police department

Glock19Dude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    NO paperwork is necessary. I just went through this last Dec. I sold one of my handguns to a friend and we wanted to make sure it was done legally. I called the local sherrif and they didn't know. So they told me to call the FBI in Indy, they said they weren't 100% positive on the rules. THEN they referred me to the ATF in Indy (very polite and helpful) who told me no paperwork is necessary, but it would be a good idea to make a "bill of sale" and put the guns' serial # on the paper with basic info about both parties and have both parties sign it as well. The ATF agent said as long as the person I was selling it to didn't have any felonies it was ok. I know him because he's my friend, but if I were to sell to someone else how would I know if they had a felony??? IMO Indiana has some gun policies that need to be changed.

Top Bottom