How did your family or friends react or feel about you owning a firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djjdnap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2010
    the polis of indiana
    I ask this because i recently purchased a gun.
    I took my Girlfriend with me in hopes that she would be supportive, i even bought her some pepper spray.

However after leaving the store, the conversation turned south after she
    1. realized how much money i had spent lol
    2. said dont be carrying it around :n00b:.

I asked her what was the point of having something for protection if you dont have it with you? I then also tried to explain to her that the safest place the gun is going to be is with me and that if i left it in the car or home and it was stolen that i would be liable for anything someone else did with MY gun.

The rest of the ride home was pretty silent after that.
    Plan on going to my parents house and showing it to them, since they dont own any hand guns either, just an old bolt action rifle that i've never in yrs seen move from its hiding spot, lol.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Grew up in a non-gun owning family. Not anti-gun, just non-gun owning. Had relatives who hunted, so they owned guns. Military backgrounds (virtually everyone of my uncles and my father volunteered for service -WWII or Korea). So my parents were familiar with guns, but we just didn't have them in the house.

After college I got my first gun. Not much said about it. Dad didn't quite understand the amount of money I spent on a trap grade shotgun with fancy wood and engraved receiver . . . until I started talking about how much he had invested in his fancy golf clubs and how much he spent on a round of golf or a golf trip. So all of a sudden it was OK because it was put into perspective.

Now OK is not the same as being thrilled, it was just sort of tolerated. My brother was/is still anti-gun. This is the same brother who doesn't understand why people would steal a generator during a time of crisis. Nuff said. Love him but not going to get him to change his mind.

My sister lives in England, she is 'non-gun' as opposed to being pro or anti. She has shot guns, she has no problems with me having guns, she simply doesn't have them. At a gut level she would use them to defend herself.

My wife (married 25+ years) learned to shoot in college in ROTC. So she started shooting before me. No issues with her. I've even given her guns as an anniversary present.

Honestly I don't think my wife knows I carry nearly 100% of the time, the topic has not come up. I just do it. I did surprise her one year when we were on vacation and she found a Glock 19 and a Ruger LCP in the nightstand of the condo. She asked if I brought them. Said: YUP, do it every time we come down because we drive to Florida and I don't want to get held up on the side of the road if we break down. I think it was a bit of a shock to her but she just put the gun back in the drawer and never brought it up. Maybe she realized it made sense? Maybe she didn't care?

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    After I built my AR I took it over to show my parents. They have seen many pics of my little brother and I in afghanistan and when I built it he happened to be in Iraq. So when I showed it to them I said "this is almost like the one Russ is luggin around in Iraq"

My dad picked it up and was like boy it's heavier than it looks and I showed him how simple it was to operate. I'd love to get him out to the range and let him shoot it.

As for my brothers...one is military like me, the other is so ate up with goose hunting that he had to go buy a feather lite trailer for all the decoys lol. He's not got any handguns and when I showed him my Glock he really wanted to shoot it.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Plan on going to my parents house and showing it to them, since they dont own any hand guns either, just an old bolt action rifle that i've never in yrs seen move from its hiding spot, lol.

I would just keep it to yourself. If they aren't gun people by now, you having a brand new handgun is going to do nothing by freak them out. You'll learn it's best to keep your purchase(s) to yourself because people really do crap their pants about gun ownership if they don't know anything about them.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I would just keep it to yourself. If they aren't gun people by now, you having a brand new handgun is going to do nothing by freak them out. You'll learn it's best to keep your purchase(s) to yourself because people really do crap their pants about gun ownership if they don't know anything about them.

Honestly that is pretty good advice . . . but I would modify it.

Why not keep the pistol information to yourself (for now) but then talk to them about the rifle. Ask your dad if you can take it to the shooting range. Ask him if he wants to go with you. Tell him you'll even take him out for a burger after going to the range, make a man-date to spend time with him?

If he says no to shooting it, or no to going with you, at least the topic has come up. If he says "why" then you can say well I bought a handgun and was hoping to practice with it and thought it would be something we could do together. Figured the rifle would be something you'd be comfortable with and I've never shot it . . .

But no reason to whip out the new pistol. That might be too much too soon for some folks. Clearly I don't know your parents so maybe they'd be fine with it.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County

Why not keep the pistol information to yourself (for now) but then talk to them about the rifle. Ask your dad if you can take it to the shooting range. Ask him if he wants to go with you. Tell him you'll even take him out for a burger after going to the range, make a man-date to spend time with him?

If he says no to shooting it, or no to going with you, at least the topic has come up. If he says "why" then you can say well I bought a handgun and was hoping to practice with it and thought it would be something we could do together. Figured the rifle would be something you'd be comfortable with and I've never shot it . . .

But no reason to whip out the new pistol. That might be too much too soon for some folks. Clearly I don't know your parents so maybe they'd be fine with it.

:+1: to Melensdad's advice. I don't agree with him on everything, especially DPMS rifles, but this sounds like the best course of action.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

My family story sounds close to your except my sister is very anti gun and so is her husband, but they live in Illinois so what can you expect. My brother-in-law is funny though because he is a Canadian citizen, volunteered during Vietnam as a conscientious objector and had a choice between two jobs, medic or carry a sidearm and drive a colonel around, he didn't want to carry a sidearm so became a medic and regretted it.

I have a few anti gun friends so I just never bring it up. I was asked once if I was carrying and I just never answered (I was). Left unsaid, they don't really know (that is what concealed is about). Once though, when some of the guys were over, one of them (an anti gun guy) brought a friend that seemed to me to be a bit on the pansy side, if you know what I mean. We ended up talking about guns and it turned out he had a shooting range in his basement, to the great surprise of his friend. So I brought out a few of mine to share and you could see one of the anti's squirming. Another brother-in-law who I never talked guns to about turns out that he carries a 1911 daily.

You just never know how people will react, so I usually don't give them the chance.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Melensdad gave great advice. I come from a gun owning family, my grandfather collected 22's like I do. My dad will look at my guns but is not interested or able to shoot them now that age has really crippled him in his hands and shoulders. Handguns weren't in our home, shotguns and 22's. Hunting and plinking guns mainly. He expressed real interest in a 22 derringer as something he never had and really thought he would want. Had one, gave it to him. Son in laws are gun nuts, otherwise, don't like goofballs mishandling my guns or even knowing what it is I have, so don't publicize it.

djjdnap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2010
    the polis of indiana
    After reading a couple responses it made me remember when i was younger my dad let me hold this white revolver. I've never seen it since, lol. So i might have to ask him about that one.
    My mom more than likely isn't going to care, she just hopes im safe lol.
    Both parents are from Louisiana and grew up around a farm, so my dad use to hunt.

Thing is i told them i was going to buy it and the conversation kinda went like

mom-With what money?
    Gf-Yea you need to pay some bills
    Brother-So ted nugent killed a bear with a G20...Cool
    Dad-Silent

I think the problem might come when and if they know i keep it with me.
    I think most people think that gun owners just leave there gun underneath there pillow or bed, lol people watch to much tv.

This fobus case doesn't really scream conceal me lol, about a good inch sticking out.

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government

Dump the girlfriend and buy another gun.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It was my wife's idea to go ahead and get our LTCH. I carry every day, and she is 100% supportive. She is also working her way up to carrying (it is a big deal to her). In the meantime, she has enough OC spray to drown a horse.

Her parents took the Basic Pistol class with us, so they are in 100%. I took my FIL shopping to help pick out his Ruger, and we hit the range together now and then.

My mother knows I carry, but hasn't said much about it. She isn't pro-gun, and I was never allowed to have "toy" guns growing up. :rolleyes: She understands why I carry, and why we have guns in the house. It just isn't her thing. She has a standing offer to go shooting with my wife, if she ever wants to get over her fears. I have convinced her to carry OC spray, after a recent home invasion.

My father also knows I carry, and has never said a word to me about it. We did talk about his old .22LR rifle that he sold without telling me :xmad:.

My uncle gave me his old Rossi revolver. He thought someone should get some use out of it! That whole side of the family hunts, shoots, and occasionally carries.

My sister was the one I mostly worried about. She is a bit of a "greenie", and doesn't always "approve" of what the family does. She asked once if "I always had that thing on", to which I answered "of course". Not much has been said after that. I did CC (rather than my usual OC) at her wedding, just to show some respect. However, her new husband has asked about going shooting with me, so I've got an in!

My only advice (after all of this rambling) is to let your actions speak for you. No need to bring it up, and no need to force the issue. Carry with confidence, and show you are responsible and safe. Let them push the issue if they are bothered, and you can have a well thought out response ready.

djjdnap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2010
    the polis of indiana

Dump the girlfriend and buy another gun.

That would be a whole lot cheaper in the long run lol:D

eldirector i couldn't agree with you more on you last statement.

Brett

Marksman
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    ECI
    I grew up in an anti-gun home. Guns were evil according to my parents. I had family members in the military but this didn't change the anti-gun environment growing up. I will never forget the look on my parent's faces when I told them at the age of 30, that I bought a handgun.
    My wife grew up around guns but never really showed interest. My father in-law is a gun enthusiast and a hunter. He is the one who really showed me how to use a gun safely, how to shoot, etc.
    Funny thing is, after a couple of years, my dad really started to show interest in guns. I am hoping one day I can take him shooting.:)

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    The wife and I got our licenses about 2 years ago. Handgun purchases happened about 6 mos. later. Reactions are as follows:
    Dad: Would have approved, but was never told before he passed away.:)
    Mom: Would have cried if she was alive.
    Younger sister: So naive she probably didn't hear what I told her.
    Liberal older Brother: Whaaaaat? :n00b: Why would anybody do that? You mean you think everybody should be able to carry a gun? Deb does too? Good grief, that's just paranoid!!
    Daughter: Got her license as a Political statement. Still scared of guns. Might come around someday.
    Son-in-Law: Let's go to the range.:D
    Granddaughter (5 yo): Grandpa, what's that? (shows real promise);)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I was already "into" firearms by the time I started dating my now wife.

I didn't tell her that I carried a handgun, or that I'd carried one on several dates, until after we'd been out several times.

I said: I've got something to tell you; what would you think of me if I told you that I carried a gun...and that I had one on me right now? Her response: "I just kind of figured you did, no big deal." SCORE!

She was raised "country", half her family are gun folks. Out of 4 older brothers, three are now cops. (one is who the cops used to chase...) Her step dad and all his family are gun folks, too. In short, it's just "normal" for her.

My mom, though, was/is different. It took her SEVERAL years to warm up to the fact that I owned A gun. Let alone many guns (to necessitate a gun rack). She certainly didn't know that I'd been carrying around her several times. I was always cautious not to let her arms get near it when she gave a hug.

Thing is, she married a hunter. He had several firearms when they got married, and has bought precious few in the last 23 years. He did recently buy a G19, though. As a small business owner, he gets called a lot by the alarm company and police should the business alarm goes off. And since he lives VERY close, he thought it'd be a good idea to have something along with on a 2:30am run to the store.

Mom wasn't at all happy about that... But she's mellowed out CONSIDERABLY in the last couple of years.

To the point where she actually volunteered to shoot my 22/45 the other day! She didn't get to, but the fact that she volunteered is amazing. I was looking for flying swine, actually.

Still don't know if mom knows that I carry most of the time, or that I have/am most of the time around her, but it's just a matter of time before she either sees it or pats my waist and feels it. Don't think that'll be as big of a deal now as it would've been a few years past, though.

But, to the OP: I've heard way worse stories about Sig. Others than you've posted. You've got it easy compared to many folks!

-J-

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Well seeing as my father gave me a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt/45ACP when I was 14 you can understand I am not in the same situation as the OP. Education is the answer to the problem but it only works if the person wants to be educated.In the GF's case I would get her a copy of Paxton Quigley's book "Armed and Female". Paxton Quigley was an everyday woman who had never given much thought to self protection till a friend was attacked...

... a friend phoned and tearfully told me she had been followed home, attacked and viciously raped by a predator. As I drove her to a hospital I learned that she'd had several opportunities during the ordeal to defend herself - if only she'd had something to defend herself with. But she didn't - no self-defense spray, no mini-baton, no gun.
    Her condition was so horrendous that right then and there, I made up my mind --- this was NOT EVER going to happen to me. What followed for me was a journey of discovery, training (at dozens of the top self-defense and lethal weapons programs), enlightenment and sharing that fulfilled my own needs for security. I also saw that I had to become a national advocate of the concept that WOMEN CAN AND MUST TAKE ACTION TO BETTER THEIR LIVES.

I know quite a few women have changed their minds after reading Paxton's book...might be a good starting place.

djjdnap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2010
    the polis of indiana
    update:
    So i told my mom b4 showing her.
    Well told her i had finally gotten and and she says " oh well what kind is it, rifle, shotgun, purse gun" lol
    And i say no just a full size handgun and she responds oh well i use to shoot rabbits and ducks when i was little. Then goes on to say ur dad has a gun, but she was talking about the hidden away rifle that i already knew about.

So i tell her what my gf said and shes like well not everyone is a gun person.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My Dad was the one that got me into shooting. Started with a BB gun as a kid. Then moved up to the big toys when I was a young adult. My Mom always hated guns. She never understood why Dad, and I had so many. Or why I always carry a handgun. Well since my Dad's last cancer surgery, she said she would go with us to the range. Now she loves it, and goes with us every time. My Sister came down a few Sundays ago, and went with us. Her boyfriend at one time talked about getting them each a gun. They live in Indy, and had a break in last year. Thank God her boyfriend was home. My ex wife never said a word about my guns. All my friends own guns, minus of couple of female friends. It's kinda hard being single in Columbus, because 99% of the women I met hate guns. It's something I'll never give up, so oh well :D

Top Bottom