How did you feel during and after your first time OCing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I felt encouraged because of all the honks and thumbs ups I was getting. I was riding my bike with a mosin or muzzleloader slung across my back cant remember which. I know im following the law and I don't care what other people think.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    The first time I OC'd I felt like I was being naughty. I had the fear that someone would see my gun and tell me why I shouldn't have one. Now I don't really care.

Although I am a bubbly person in familiar surroundings, I usually am more inclined just to be a wallflower when I am out & about. I like to blend in so I can watch the people instead of them noticing me.

I usually CC but not always well. I'm petite so it's hard to hide a big gun on me. I try to cover my gun most of the time but I don't always care if it's covered.

I'm a nice person and people apparently sense that so people talk to me out of the blue fairly often. Sometimes I'm tired and I just want to be left alone. I often open carry on those days.

I OC at home and other familiar places, I just don't OC on a regular basis when I go to stores. I definitely like to be invisible if I have to go to Wally World.

I am more inclined to cover my gun if children are present. I prefer to avoid the attention a child noticing my gun could bring.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The first time I OC'd, I felt like I was wearing a big orange cone on my head that said 'Look at me'. It really was uncomfortable as I've never been a person that enjoys others attention. I don't care much now but do still sometimes feel self conscious in some places like OC'ing in the bank or when down in Bloomington. Actually, I've don't intentionally OC in Bloomington but the shirt rides up sometimes. Right now, I'm probably an 80% CC, 20% OC carrier.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I thought about OC a few times, but I didn't have anything worthy of OC'ing. I just got my first 1911 and would be proud to OC it at an INGO meetup sometime.
    My 1911 is a rare antique and not something I would want to carry on a regular basis. I am shopping for another 1911 to carry.

I have CC a small J Frame revolver for almost 20 years. I think any respectable INGO member would laugh at me if I OC'd a J Frame.

NBLSVL.EDC.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    During: A constant awareness that I need to keep an eye on people behind me. I was ultra protective of my strong side.

After: Nothing...

I would say I OC about 70% of the time. In the summer it's much more often. When I do CC, I never have more than a shirt over the gun and the holster peeks out from under it. So, even my CC is pretty OC.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I OC about 50% of the time.The other half it's winter in Indiana and I have a jacket on anyway. LOL I have never had a negative encounter while OCing. After 22 1/2 years in the Army, I still keep my hair very short and am clean shaven 85% of the time. Many assume that I am law enforcement. The last guy that asked me what "department" I worked for, I smiled politely an said, "homeland security" I was in a local restaurant a month ago and as I was standing at the register to pay an elderly gentleman engaged me. He referenced my pistol with a casual glance and said, "It doesn't do you any good when you need it if it is setting at home, does it?"
    I know it is legal, I am legal and most people never even notice so I just go about my business as usual. It's second nature now. Be prepared for the occasional inquiry, be polite, stay relaxed, present facts and make it a positive encounter for both sides. Is no different than someone asking me about my shoe brand or pickup truck.

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I've been an open carrier right from the beginning. The first timed I OC'd was one of the first times I ever carried in public, and I was very self conscious. I'm normally a pretty reserved guy; I don't like a lot of attention. Even though nobody said anything to me I kept thinking people were staring at me/my pistol and/or giving me dirty looks. After a few years of open carry I believe, in retrospect, that nobody was eyeing me any more than normal.

There have been a couple of times when I thought someone was surely going to say something about my sidearm and they never did. Most amusingly (to me) I was grocery shopping at Kroger when it was extra busy. A woman marched right up to me and said, "Excuse me... Could you grab this jar on the top shelf? I just can't reach it." Over the years I've noticed that few people will say anything to you about your gun. I've mostly had people strike up friendly conversation about firearms in general, one or two have thanked me for carrying, a few have asked me about the legality of open carrying and only twice have I ever had a downright negative interaction with someone.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Well I OC'd for the first time today. I prefer CC but thought I'd give OC a try on occasion since I have a retention OWB holster. The official time I was out of my car and in a public place OCing today was about 1 minute while I went into UPS to mail a package that had a pre-printed label on it. Walked in, handed it over, and left. I may just be :chuck:.

It's amazing that even doing that for the first time is nerve wracking. Definitely felt like the first time I CC'd, but probably a little more intense since you know people can see it if they're paying attention. I think the lady working glanced at it as I turned to walk away. Didn't say anything.

Last edited:

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    I didn't like it that much. I was nervous, and more paranoid. I felt like I was focusing on my gun way more than what I was trying to be out doing/enjoying. Nothing against it, I can OC comfortably with people I'm familiar with or lower scale public places, but when it gets crowded, I find myself indexing my gun more with my arm when I OC. Just wasn't for me. CC'ing - I forget it's there. I just go about my business naturally.

To each their own though. I'm sure if I consistently did it more I would be more comfortable with it.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    47239542.jpg

mtbrgeek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2014
    For Twain
    the first time i OCd i was very anxious. But after awhile i started notcing that people treated me with the same deference as they do armed security and off duty police. Those that care noticed and moved on, those that dont care simply ignored me and it was never an issue.

Phipps

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    I've opened carried a few times now. I get a bit more comfortable with it each time, but I'm still getting used to all the weird looks people give me... Or maybe that's just because I'm a ginger!! :laugh: Overheard one guy at a restaurant make a comment to his girlfriend about "running away" from a problem as opposed to carrying a gun when he noticed mine. That was my first night carrying and I considered making a polite and simple comment, but I suppose everyone is entitled to their own opinion- no matter how stupid it is.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've opened carried a few times now. I get a bit more comfortable with it each time, but I'm still getting used to all the weird looks people give me... Or maybe that's just because I'm a ginger!! :laugh: Overheard one guy at a restaurant make a comment to his girlfriend about "running away" from a problem as opposed to carrying a gun when he noticed mine. That was my first night carrying and I considered making a polite and simple comment, but I suppose everyone is entitled to their own opinion- no matter how stupid it is.

Well, it's simpler to run away.
    But you can't run away from all problems.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I actually carried for the first time yesterday, oc'ed, with a Tshirt kind of covering it, I felt a bit self conscious, but no big deal until we walked out of Walmart and two local Leo's were standing there... Then the brain went into overdrive, and I started moving away from them to the other side of my wife, the whole time telling myself I was being dumb cause I wasn't breaking any laws! Today, I said to myself, self, it doesn't matter what people think, man up and stop worrying about it. I put one in the pipe and carried on!

Top Bottom