How did you feel during and after your first time OCing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I've only noticed two people down here in Madison OCing. One guy at the Fast Max downtown was walking in as I was in line at the register and he was OCing a revolver of some type. Another time I noticed someone at Wal-Mart, guy dressed in all black (black jeans, black shirt tucked in) with a girl with him, also dressed in all black. The guy was OCing what appeared to be a Glock in a kydex holster.

I'm a young guy in my mid-20's, and I don't think I'd feel comfortable OCing down here... though I think it's more or less because I know I'll be running into people I know if I am walking around downtown, or at Wally world or wherever and I don't want to have any awkward conversations or be known as 'that guy who walks around town with a gun'. I think in a larger population area I'd be less likely to care, but I'd never want to live in an area with more people than Columbus or Bloomington if I could help it. :)

Understood, but it's not that bad. After awhile nobody pays any attention really, besides everyone that knows me knows I am packing.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    When I open carry I tend to do so when wearing nicer clothes as I feel it makes people more comfortable with it. For me it's as much about being an ambassador while OC'ing as it is the utilitarian aspect of a faster and more reliable draw. The first time I OC'd was with a standard leather pancake holster. It looks really nice and holds my EDC really tight against my body but only offers fairly weak passive retention. For the first few minutes I felt like people were eyeballing me like some kind of alien but the more I payed attention, the more I realized that people DIDN'T notice. Most people don't pay enough attention to their surroundings to take notice of a sidearm. Those that do notice might throw a glance or a glare your way but last I checked that didn't do anyone any harm. If someone does approach you, deal with it with professionalism and go about your business.

I have OC'd a couple of times since then but only to places where I know the environment and the people in it. I feel that I need to invest in a better quality holster and belt combo that I will train and become competent with before I OC much more.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    During: I was a little bit nervous after all the police encounters I read about and that other people got all hyped up about. I never did and never have had a problem with police while OCing.

After: I questioned why I was so nervous and tried to understand the "they'll shoot ya first" CC argument. That argument never did make sense to me.

This.

Just start OCing and get used to it. Study up and be prepared to shut down illogical arguments. People may be nervous the first time they see you, but the more they see OC they will get more comfortable.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Most people who stare at those OCing have no idea that it's within the limits of the law. Whenever I open carried, I quickly tired of the looks. Even though I CC, I don't worry about printing in any way.

GP51

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Northeast Indy
    How does one FEEL?? Slightly more vulnerable to someone attempting to disarm me, than if I CC. To OC, I would have to be much more alert to persons approaching me from behind. Since it is normal to get very close to others when someplace like a busy grocery store, I don't want to have to think about that, so it's just easier to CC and keep the knowledge that I'm armed to myself. Just a very few years ago, when I noticed OC, I just Assumed they were law enforcement. That always felt good to me, too. I wonder if the general public these days makes the same assumption that I did not so long ago.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I've only noticed two people down here in Madison OCing. One guy at the Fast Max downtown was walking in as I was in line at the register and he was OCing a revolver of some type. Another time I noticed someone at Wal-Mart, guy dressed in all black (black jeans, black shirt tucked in) with a girl with him, also dressed in all black. The guy was OCing what appeared to be a Glock in a kydex holster.

I'm a young guy in my mid-20's, and I don't think I'd feel comfortable OCing down here... though I think it's more or less because I know I'll be running into people I know if I am walking around downtown, or at Wally world or wherever and I don't want to have any awkward conversations or be known as 'that guy who walks around town with a gun'. I think in a larger population area I'd be less likely to care, but I'd never want to live in an area with more people than Columbus or Bloomington if I could help it. :)
    I oc'd in Madison last fall. I noticed a sloppy CC while at the Downtowner. No one seemed to care about my OC.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I enjoy the comfort of OC especially in the summer. I've only been approached once about it. A polite older lady in line with me at a Speedway asked me if I was a LEO. I answered "no, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night". We both chuckled over that, and I then told her that I was just a licensed armed citizen that believes in my 2nd A. right to personal protection. She then said that her son was a LEO and believed the same way I do. It was an enjoyable exchange.

To answer your question OP. The very first time I OC'ed I felt like I had my pistol duct taped to my forehead and was very leery of five year old girls!

Last edited:

GP51

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Northeast Indy
    I would be curious for those who OC, to share what encounters you have had from the general public, similar to what Gunslinger shared here. Thanks Folks!

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    For me it was much like when I first carried concealed: I was thinking everyone knew and I was trying to be sure to keep it concealed.

That idea wore of pretty quickly and after a couple of months, maybe less, I just started OCing and never looked back. I still conceal on occasion but it's rare.

I have to say I got used to OCing really fast. Hardly anyone even notices, including LE. I am much more aware of who is around me and exactly where they are. I always try to blade myself away from those behind me.

If your big concern is what others may say or do, let it go. They're mostly oblivious.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I would be curious for those who OC, to share what encounters you have had from the general public, similar to what Gunslinger shared here. Thanks Folks!

Most of mine have been wondering if I'm a cop, if it's a Glock (gag)...I just tell them that my CZ is actually a beautiful gun instead of a Block and that I'm not a LEO but I'm head of security for a very important South Bend (insert your locale here) family. If they are still nosy and ask who, I tell them "mine".

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Without exception, every comment made to me has been positive....or someone trying to be cute ("Uh-oh. Watch out. she's got a gun.") I have never encountered negative reactions, but I have seen a few wide-eyes followed by whispers and nudges to the ribs of one's significant other. Those are funny. I just try to make eye contact and smile.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    I am asking simply because I almost always CC, but the other day I thought I'd try and OC in a major public place for the first time. I have OCed in very few instances in the past, but in places where it was so remote or along those lines that it would have been very unlikely to be noticed. I've been carrying since last August and have CCed without issue since. I thought it would be good to step out of my comfort zone and give it a try. It really felt like the same way I did the very first time I started to carry; I was nervous, thought people were looking, drawing attention. It was interesting to say the least, I was a little scared but I was more curious than worried. So I ask INGO, did you have those same feelings when you OCed the first time? How did you get over those feelings if you had them? I would like to get to the point where I can OC and think nothing of it.

I felt like I was at home.... it was common place where I grew up.

Top Bottom