How did you feel during and after your first time OCing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I am asking simply because I almost always CC, but the other day I thought I'd try and OC in a major public place for the first time. I have OCed in very few instances in the past, but in places where it was so remote or along those lines that it would have been very unlikely to be noticed. I've been carrying since last August and have CCed without issue since. I thought it would be good to step out of my comfort zone and give it a try. It really felt like the same way I did the very first time I started to carry; I was nervous, thought people were looking, drawing attention. It was interesting to say the least, I was a little scared but I was more curious than worried. So I ask INGO, did you have those same feelings when you OCed the first time? How did you get over those feelings if you had them? I would like to get to the point where I can OC and think nothing of it.

zzephaniah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    NWI
    I'd very much like to see some replies to this, I've never OCed but I've always been curious what it would be like. I've seen people OC where I work and no one seemed to care, but I worry I'll run into problems with the police.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    How did you feel during and after your first time OCing?
    Like my fly was open and my **** was hanging out.

Honestly, I'm not an OC guy and I don't see myself becoming one. I certainly support others right to carry however they see fit (even with Tac pants and Slavic accents
    icon_shrug.gif
    ), but I just prefer to carry concealed.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County

Honestly, I'm not an OC guy and I don't see myself becoming one. I certainly support others right to carry however they see fit (even with Tac pants and Slavic accents
    icon_shrug.gif

I doubt I'll ever be much of an OC guy other than around the family property and farm. I'm carrying my gun for me and mine as a protective tool. As such I don't need the extra attention it draws. Until I need to draw, that is.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don't OC all that much. But just like the first time I carried at all, it felt like there was a flashin, neon, GUN! sign hanging over me.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I OC when I go to the range, or run down to USDS and also around the house. Even at places where I know it's acceptable, it felt odd at first, though now I don't think anything of it. The only time I've OC'd in public outside of that was at the Southside INGO meet and greet. I even felt a bit odd there. I'll probably stick to CC for the most part, which I've become pretty comfortable with.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    During: I was a little bit nervous after all the police encounters I read about and that other people got all hyped up about. I never did and never have had a problem with police while OCing.

After: I questioned why I was so nervous and tried to understand the "they'll shoot ya first" CC argument. That argument never did make sense to me.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Initially I "felt" like I was sticking out like a sore thumb. But eventually I realized that most people don't even notice. Most people don't pay that much attention to their surroundings.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I had carried for a while and gotten used to it before anyone mentioned that I should make some effort to cover it up.

The first time I tried carrying concealed, I felt dirty, like lovemachine must feel every day.

Now I rarely do that unless I have to go to Florida or Texas for some reason.

jimbobcooters

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013

icon_shrug.gif

just like this ^ like my barn door was open and the cow was out atleast for the first few minutes in any establishment, then people seem to stop staring after a while.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I see lots of OC down here, myself included on occasion. If there are twice the amount of people CC as to OC here we are in business! Lol

I've only noticed two people down here in Madison OCing. One guy at the Fast Max downtown was walking in as I was in line at the register and he was OCing a revolver of some type. Another time I noticed someone at Wal-Mart, guy dressed in all black (black jeans, black shirt tucked in) with a girl with him, also dressed in all black. The guy was OCing what appeared to be a Glock in a kydex holster.

I'm a young guy in my mid-20's, and I don't think I'd feel comfortable OCing down here... though I think it's more or less because I know I'll be running into people I know if I am walking around downtown, or at Wally world or wherever and I don't want to have any awkward conversations or be known as 'that guy who walks around town with a gun'. I think in a larger population area I'd be less likely to care, but I'd never want to live in an area with more people than Columbus or Bloomington if I could help it. :)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I had carried for a while and gotten used to it before anyone mentioned that I should make some effort to cover it up.

The first time I tried carrying concealed, I felt dirty, like lovemachine must feel every day.

Now I rarely do that unless I have to go to Florida or Texas for some reason.

LOL

StunnedMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Not sure i could bring myself to do it, at least not around here. I already think everyone is looking at me when I CC, which of course they're not.

I've been actively watching for OC for the last 3 months and I've yet to see anyone, even in WalMart. And I look constantly.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    I've oc since I got my lifetime. I felt like everyone was staring at me the for the first week. After a couple of positive encounters wit people asking about the gun I don't give it a second thought anymore.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I am asking simply because I almost always CC, but the other day I thought I'd try and OC in a major public place for the first time. I have OCed in very few instances in the past, but in places where it was so remote or along those lines that it would have been very unlikely to be noticed. I've been carrying since last August and have CCed without issue since. I thought it would be good to step out of my comfort zone and give it a try. It really felt like the same way I did the very first time I started to carry; I was nervous, thought people were looking, drawing attention. It was interesting to say the least, I was a little scared but I was more curious than worried. So I ask INGO, did you have those same feelings when you OCed the first time? How did you get over those feelings if you had them? I would like to get to the point where I can OC and think nothing of it.

Admit it, it was my subliminal message that did it, wasn't it?

I've been OCing long enough I don't even remember what I felt like when I first started OCing. But the way to get to the point where you think nothing of it and aren't constantly wondering if other people notice is to do it all the time. I'll admit I still watch people's reactions when I'm out and about. Not because I'm concerned about what they think but because I'm infinitely curious and have the people-watcher gene. It's a very unscientific on-going survey of sorts. As of today, the number of mindlessly oblivious outnumber all other groups about 10-1.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I started doing it on my way home from matches when it was hot. Just didn't bother putting my concealment garment on for the trip home, which often included stops for meals, fuel, grocery store, etc. Never thought much about it.

​rhino out!

Top Bottom