• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Take a stroll through the neighborhood at varying times, day and night.
    Take a camera with you and photograph every vehicle you don't recognize as belonging there. Don't hide the fact that you're taking pictures. This will encourage the perps to move to another location.
    If anyone asks what you're doing, tell them there has been some vandalism in the neighborhood and the police told you to be on the look-out for strange cars.
    You have a right to photograph any person or vehicle, including license number, visible in a public place.

We have done this in my area and where my daughter used to live. Drug traffic at one house and issues from said traffic. We posted up and took pics of every car that came and went. Some of the locals would walk the alley to get there and we snapped them as well. Mailed a package with all the pics to the house. Traffic slowed significantly. One more round of pics and the dealer moved.
    We and our neighbors here have done this a few times.
    Cockroaches do not like the light. They will move on.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I lock my pup in one of my bathrooms. He has more room in it. He goes in there on his own now when I talk about going bye bye or just say the word time out.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Props to the responding officers today, Marion County Sheriff's dispatch

Our motion alarm was triggered while we were at lunch. Missed the call, and they were sent out. 15m later we got another alarm trigger saying our back door was opened (fleeing?)

I got home in ready-mode, gun-in-hand. Walked around back... and sure enough, it was unlocked. Walked in to see our German Shepherd alive and well.

Called the Marion non-emergency, they said the cops showed up, found no signs of entry. They heard the dog barking, saw her inside, and didn't enter.

Very glad they recognized the situation and didn't enter or harm the dog.

However, this turned out to be an excellent test of the system, and we're glad it worked. Turns out the dog broke out of her crate, door right off the hinges.... so... repairing that, re-enforcing it, and putting her behind a closed door while we're away to avoid any further motion false alarms.

Back door unlocked? Good test of your system, except one part failed. :) The door was unlocked. You can get motions that pets won't set off fyi.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Props to the responding officers today, Marion County Sheriff's dispatch

Our motion alarm was triggered while we were at lunch. Missed the call, and they were sent out. 15m later we got another alarm trigger saying our back door was opened (fleeing?)

I got home in ready-mode, gun-in-hand. Walked around back... and sure enough, it was unlocked. Walked in to see our German Shepherd alive and well.

Called the Marion non-emergency, they said the cops showed up, found no signs of entry. They heard the dog barking, saw her inside, and didn't enter.

Very glad they recognized the situation and didn't enter or harm the dog.

However, this turned out to be an excellent test of the system, and we're glad it worked. Turns out the dog broke out of her crate, door right off the hinges.... so... repairing that, re-enforcing it, and putting her behind a closed door while we're away to avoid any further motion false alarms.

What alarm system did you end up going with?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Might give a whole new meaning to liar, liar, pants on fire.

I thought the same thing when my fire retardant pants at work caught fire....... while I was wearing them.
    My hard hat has a sticker, "Get real. If I was lying, my pants would be on fire".
    I no longer wear that hard hat.
    Or those pants. Friggin burned up to the knee. Scared me so bad, I didn't notice my t-shirt had a dozen burns and the underwear elastic melted to my belly.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I thought the same thing when my fire retardant pants at work caught fire....... while I was wearing them.
    My hard hat has a sticker, "Get real. If I was lying, my pants would be on fire".
    I no longer wear that hard hat.
    Or those pants. Friggin burned up to the knee. Scared me so bad, I didn't notice my t-shirt had a dozen burns and the underwear elastic melted to my belly.

Do you think the pants protected you, or made it worse overall?

The one time I was "on fire," I was wearing a cotton, button-down shirt that got doused with burning acetone. The shirt got singed, but it acted like a wick and kept the acetone burning on the outside. It got warm, but I was not seriously injured. If I'd been wearing something synthetic, it might have melted and made it a lot worse.

Your situation was clearly different, though. I suspect what "helps" depends on the nature of the accident.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Do you think the pants protected you, or made it worse overall?

The one time I was "on fire," I was wearing a cotton, button-down shirt that got doused with burning acetone. The shirt got singed, but it acted like a wick and kept the acetone burning on the outside. It got warm, but I was not seriously injured. If I'd been wearing something synthetic, it might have melted and made it a lot worse.

Your situation was clearly different, though. I suspect what "helps" depends on the nature of the accident.

827f479044.jpg

A furnace operator was using a pure oxygen lance like this one. (This is not me)
    Cuts through several inches of steel. Also found out it cuts through a mans leg as fast and big as a .50 BMG round (but that's another story).
    He needed to get something, asked me to hold the lance.
    I did not have the aluminized coat, face shield, welding gloves (with wristlets) this guy has (the guy who was cutting did have that stuff).
    So I held it level with my waist, right where he was cutting.
    I realized, I only had skivvies, heavy coveralls, fire retardant coat and pants, hard hat, cotton gloves, safety glasses.
    I was worried about hitting a pocket of liquid steel, cause the cut being made was over a foot deep, and there was no runoff of liquid steel.
    Realizing I had no face shield, I figured my safety glasses weren't going to cut it.
    So I tilted my head to look at the floor, causing my visor on the hardhat to protect my face.
    I didn't need to see the cut, I was just holding the lance.
    As I tilted my head, the lance must have hit a liquid pocket, cause next thing I saw, I was surrounded by orange. Completely, couldn't see the ground or my legs.
    I figured the lance was pretty safe pointing away from me and anyone in the area, so I dropped the lance and let go, stepping back slowly, feeling with my feet so I wouldn't step off the floor I was on.
    Someone cut the oxygen off.
    I looked down and my right pant leg was on fire at the bottom, inside leg. Steel that hit me had deflected. But the pants had folded at the bottom of the leg, forming a cuff.
    The cuff caught some of the steel, holding it. And it's only so retardant.
    So I tried to use my left leg to stamp it out.
    Unsuccessful.
    I was a couple seconds from pure panic as the flame got to the knee heading for the crotch.
    The guy who was supposed to be cutting showed up, used his gloves to pat the fire down.
    As I breathed a sigh of relief that I wasn't going to have burned nuts, I felt a fire on the lower belly.
    I ripped off my fire retardant coat
    Pulled out of the top of the coveralls.
    Undid my belt.
    Everyone on the floor is yelling, "WTF!!!!!!!!"
    I said, "MY FRICKIN BELLY'S ON FIRE".
    So I noticed my tee shirt was toast. Musta caught some steel down the neckline.
    Burned the tee on the way down.
    Melted the underwear elastic to my belly and belly hair.

Fire was out. Just had to rip the elastic off, taking the belly hair with it.

Then I had to use my personal burn cream, cause if I went to the on site dispensary with an injury from a job I wasn't trained to do, without the proper safety equipment, woulda probably been 5 days off pending a decision on termination of my employment.

So I suffered for a while, 3 or 4 days.
    It was just first degree on the belly, kinda like a sunburn.
    Legs were ok. The heavy coveralls I was wearing hadn't caught, just hardened. Like what cloth does right before it catches fire.
    Work boots were ok, but looked real weird on the side.

And I learned a lesson.
    They say, "Be a team player".
    Till you get hurt.
    Then don't be a team player.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    You can get motions that pets won't set off fyi.

+1

They make them in different versions too, if you don't have one of the generic ADT type setups.

I have "small pet" (under 15 pounds IIRC) sensors in the barn, for the barn cat but in the house have the larger ones so a Rottweiler doesn't set them off.

Plus windows / doors and glass breakage sensors all hard wired. Self contained system with independent phone access and power sources.

Top Bottom