• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That tablet happen to be an android? Might be able to use Google device manager to get a current location on it?

It is, but it's wifi-only. It was also off at the time.

I've checked the device manager a few times, no luck. I sent a lock and erase signal to it, so I'm hoping the next time it hits a wifi signal, it'll wipe it.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    It is, but it's wifi-only. It was also off at the time.

I've checked the device manager a few times, no luck. I sent a lock and erase signal to it, so I'm hoping the next time it hits a wifi signal, it'll wipe it.

I haven't had a device actually lost or stolen before but I do have this on a few of them. https://preyproject.com/ I have tried it while visiting family and it worked very well. Once installed it hides itself so it doesn't look like it's a program. You can go to the website and report your device. It will turn on the GPS and start taking pictures with the webcam then email then to you. You get to ID the prick who has your device as well as it's location. You can take the information to the police and show them where the device is and who they are looking for.

I know it won't help now but maybe in the future...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Didn't see this mentioned. The keypad that controls my garage doors from the entryway also has a master power switch. After I'm in for the night just kill the power to the openers. Also have lateral deadbolt on each door, slides into the door track to make forcing more difficult. I live in a really nice neighborhood but we have it going on even here. Sorry about the loss GP.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    On this note, I've been guilty of accidentally leaving the garage door open a few times; thankfully I'm in a relatively crime-free area but I have a LOT of money in machinist tooling in my garage. A person wouldn't even have to step into the house to take off with thousands of dollars worth of stuff. My wife has also been known to leave her keys in her car in the garage...

I've thought about putting a micro-switch on the door and attaching it to a light inside the house so as I go to bed at night, once I turn off the kitchen lights a glaringly obvious red-glow will take over and remind me that the garage door is open... I wonder if something like this is already out there...
    I have a roller switch on my door and tapped into the doorbell power supply. If the door is up, a bright orange LED goes on inside the doorbell housing. Pretty hard to miss.

I had a garage door opener in my car. Accidently left the car unlocked. They opened the garage door half way. When they realized it didn't wake anyone up, they went in and took my air compressor, air tools, and computer tech bag. I disabled the garge door and came home on my lunch hour. The opener was left on a bush. They came back after I went to work to clean me out!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Instead of leaving the standard garage door opener in the car, I have a keypad, like the one you put on the outside of the garage door.
    That way, if someone breaks a window in the car, they can't just hit the button.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Got some more info on this incident today. There's a neighborhood yard sale going on, so we walked around looking for some of my stuff. Didn't find any, but I did talk to a neighbor a few roads over that knew about the incident. Apparently around 2-3am, a group of hispanic teens went around and hit everyone's car that was out. Went through the glove box, then moved on (looking for guns, cash?)

He told me two of them were caught up the road. Must've been after they hit my place. Why would the police not contact me and tell me that, or do I have to call them? Seems like information I'd want to know.

Would any LEO here be able to confirm this sort of thing? Maybe even find out if some of the stolen goods were recovered? If so, please PM me and I can share the case number that I have, as well as the neighborhood.

So this is easier said than done. Calling IMPD gets no answers... they have no e-mail addresses... and I can only leave a message with the investigator.

I don't recall who here is IMPD or otherwise... but what's the best way to find out more information on these sorts of incidents?... To see if burglars were caught?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    So this is easier said than done. Calling IMPD gets no answers... they have no e-mail addresses... and I can only leave a message with the investigator.

I don't recall who here is IMPD or otherwise... but what's the best way to find out more information on these sorts of incidents?... To see if burglars were caught?

I would send a PM to BehindBlueIs with the name of the detective assigned to your case. They did assign one, right?

Email addresses for police/city employees are first.lastname@indy.gov.

ETA: In fact, this prompted me to send a follow-up to the detective assigned to my break-in, since it happened just over a year ago.

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Neighbor across the street just had a brick thrown through their front window. I went out when I heard noise, gathered with a couple other neighbors while the cops showed up. Dude is older, no kids living with him.

Neighbor next to me saw an SUV with two kids do it.

Man. Hate this crap... Not like the cops can do anything about it. I really, really need to get cameras set up... Doubt the HOA can do anything in that regard. Neighbor lady that was out there with us told me she doesn't feel safe or comfortable here anymore.

This is a good neighborhood, a nice neighborhood. No reason for this crap.

Last edited:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I would get cameras tomorrow in the morning- if not outside your house (which I would recommend having outside!) inside at the very least!
    Can I ask what side of town/area? No need to answer if you do not want to.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I would get cameras tomorrow in the morning- if not outside your house (which I would recommend having outside!) inside at the very least!
    Can I ask what side of town/area? No need to answer if you do not want to.

Yeah looking into it right now.

South of Beech Grove, around Southport.

Last edited:

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Come home from work tonight and my garage door was open and the wifes in bed asleep , but with Glock in hand I walked in and everything was then even the wife... So ended well I guess ??? This isn't the first time I have come home to this.. But I live in the county and have a good dog that will bite the crap out of a stranger if they come in the house if were not home or was in bed, we don't let her sleep in the bed room for that reason and if she heard someone in the garage she would start raise'n hell... But sorry to hear about your stuff but I guess that's why we pay for home owners Insurance...

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

Man. Hate this crap... .

We've been having kids driving around, grabbing somebody's rolling trash can from the car window, then accelerating until the trash can slips out of their hand and veers off and crashes into something. Trash all over and mail boxes knocked over.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Neighbor across the street just had a brick thrown through their front window. I went out when I heard noise, gathered with a couple other neighbors while the cops showed up. Dude is older, no kids living with him.

Dude, that sucks. I promise to never complain that kids ring our doorbells at 22:30h.

Man. Hate this crap... Not like the cops can do anything about it. I really, really need to get cameras set up... Doubt the HOA can do anything in that regard. Neighbor lady that was out there with us told me she doesn't feel safe or comfortable here anymore.

This is a good neighborhood, a nice neighborhood. No reason for this crap.

The only thing the HOA can do is hire security to patrol. We have two off duty FWPD officers that work a few hours a week in our addition.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Take a stroll through the neighborhood at varying times, day and night.
    Take a camera with you and photograph every vehicle you don't recognize as belonging there. Don't hide the fact that you're taking pictures. This will encourage the perps to move to another location.
    If anyone asks what you're doing, tell them there has been some vandalism in the neighborhood and the police told you to be on the look-out for strange cars.
    You have a right to photograph any person or vehicle, including license number, visible in a public place.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Props to the responding officers today, Marion County Sheriff's dispatch

Our motion alarm was triggered while we were at lunch. Missed the call, and they were sent out. 15m later we got another alarm trigger saying our back door was opened (fleeing?)

I got home in ready-mode, gun-in-hand. Walked around back... and sure enough, it was unlocked. Walked in to see our German Shepherd alive and well.

Called the Marion non-emergency, they said the cops showed up, found no signs of entry. They heard the dog barking, saw her inside, and didn't enter.

Very glad they recognized the situation and didn't enter or harm the dog.

However, this turned out to be an excellent test of the system, and we're glad it worked. Turns out the dog broke out of her crate, door right off the hinges.... so... repairing that, re-enforcing it, and putting her behind a closed door while we're away to avoid any further motion false alarms.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Props to the responding officers today, Marion County Sheriff's dispatch

Our motion alarm was triggered while we were at lunch. Missed the call, and they were sent out. 15m later we got another alarm trigger saying our back door was opened (fleeing?)

I got home in ready-mode, gun-in-hand. Walked around back... and sure enough, it was unlocked. Walked in to see our German Shepherd alive and well.

Called the Marion non-emergency, they said the cops showed up, found no signs of entry. They heard the dog barking, saw her inside, and didn't enter.

Very glad they recognized the situation and didn't enter or harm the dog.

However, this turned out to be an excellent test of the system, and we're glad it worked. Turns out the dog broke out of her crate, door right off the hinges.... so... repairing that, re-enforcing it, and putting her behind a closed door while we're away to avoid any further motion false alarms.

What made the dog so urgent to escape....??????

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What made the dog so urgent to escape....??????

She's only ever gotten out of her crate one other time. Usually she stays in there calmly until we get back. I can imagine if she heard something outside, or the cat looked particularly exciting she would be jumping around in there.

I did make sure to consider the fact that the alarm going off is what caused her to escape... but that doesn't seem to have been the case. None of our windows were tampered with, and nothing is missing.

Top Bottom