• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    On this note, I've been guilty of accidentally leaving the garage door open a few times; thankfully I'm in a relatively crime-free area but I have a LOT of money in machinist tooling in my garage. A person wouldn't even have to step into the house to take off with thousands of dollars worth of stuff. My wife has also been known to leave her keys in her car in the garage...

I've thought about putting a micro-switch on the door and attaching it to a light inside the house so as I go to bed at night, once I turn off the kitchen lights a glaringly obvious red-glow will take over and remind me that the garage door is open... I wonder if something like this is already out there...

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    On this note, I've been guilty of accidentally leaving the garage door open a few times; thankfully I'm in a relatively crime-free area but I have a LOT of money in machinist tooling in my garage. A person wouldn't even have to step into the house to take off with thousands of dollars worth of stuff. My wife has also been known to leave her keys in her car in the garage...

I've thought about putting a micro-switch on the door and attaching it to a light inside the house so as I go to bed at night, once I turn off the kitchen lights a glaringly obvious red-glow will take over and remind me that the garage door is open... I wonder if something like this is already out there...

Threadjack sidenote:

There are garage door openers currently on the market that have a timer. If they are left open for more than a set amount of time (10 mins or whatever) they will close automatically. My grandparents have one and love it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    OP, if your opener isnt accounted for, do a system reset on the opener and re-learn your remaining opener(s). Usually the instructions are on the opener. That will prevent the intruders from coming back. Also re-key the house if they also got the house keys with the car keys. I HIGHLY recommend the kwikset smartkey. And while you are at it, add one of these to the man door inside the garage. It allows quick access to the house but still secured so if your door gets left open again, they wont get past the garage.
    SmartCode Lever

And these are handy: (or one like it)
    Skylink Products | Garage Door Openers and Accessories | Home Automation | Wireless Security / Alert System | Emergency Dialers | Swing Door Opener |

Won't the SmartCode just offer another option for a crook to open your door? No key, but a keypad to enter numbers?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have a security system being delivered later today.

How about security cameras? Does anyone have any suggestions on a good, reliable brand/model?

Also motion lights?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Threadjack sidenote:

There are garage door openers currently on the market that have a timer. If they are left open for more than a set amount of time (10 mins or whatever) they will close automatically. My grandparents have one and love it.
    For certain people that is probably a good idea but for people that use their garage for more than just a space to park a vehicle that could be a bit problematic... I could see where I would go outside through the open garage door, leaving keys inside and all doors locked and the garage door closes while I'm mowing the yard etc and I end up locked out...

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I have a Liftgate (Chamberlain) with MyQ. It has an phone app, website, timers, emails and texts me when it opens or closes. I can open or close it from anywhere. More bells and whistles then needed, but is comes in handy when you do need it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Yes. See my earlier post. They make standalone wireless gizmos that light up inside the house when the door is up. And if you have an alarm, you can get a door sensor for it. (door up, you cant set the alarm)

Won't the SmartCode just offer another option for a crook to open your door? No key, but a keypad to enter numbers?

Not really. They still have to guess your code. Unless you make it an obvious code like 1234, etc its fine.

I have a security system being delivered later today.

How about security cameras? Does anyone have any suggestions on a good, reliable brand/model?

Also motion lights?

Yes to motions. I like those.

Im partial to these cameras. The DVR is free and is your PC as long as you leave it on all the time anyway. Just set the recording directory to a usb drive that you stash behind something so it doesnt get stolen if they get in. They also sell a small server to do the recordings as well.
    https://www.ubnt.com/enterprise/#unifi-video
    and you drive the cams with these if you have more than one or two and dont want to use the power bricks.
    https://www.ubnt.com/accessories/toughswitch/

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Sad to hear, thieves are everywhere. I use the padlock through the rail setup like CM was talking about.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Has anybody account for where Longbow was last night.... just sayin.

OP Sorry this happened. What security system are you getting? I'm thinking of getting one soon myself. I'm always the one in my house checking doors, and making the pre-bedtime sweep of locks, windows, doors, etc. Others in my house just don't get it.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    FWIW, I've had my SimpliSafe system for about a year and a half and couldn't be happier with it.
    Simple installation, totally wireless, no phone line needed, and fast response time when an alarm goes off.
    You could alarm the garage door if you wanted.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Here is the problem with alarms, fancy locks and what not. They are just like exercise equipment, they only work if you use them and use them correctly.

I get out of my car, the doors get locked, always. In my driveway, in my garage, anywhere.
    If we aren't physically in the garage, garage door is shut with car inside garage with locked doors.
    Doors are locked, unless we are passing through it.....I don't want to meet some Meth head in my hallway.

We live in a "nice" neighborhood. New neighbors moved in across the street 15 years ago. They have been robbed 4 times that I know of. Guess what I have learned about them and their security habits. Doors never get locked, even when they go on vacation for a week. Garage door sits open all night frequently, etc, etc. No one else in this neighborhood has been robbed in that same time frame.... something like 35 other homes.

Warned my SIL about leaving his garage door standing open all the time....with two expensive mountain bikes in view of the street. Yep, you guessed it. Two different times, both times during the afternoon daylight hours, he didn't learn his lesson the first time.

Don't advertise to the world what stuff you have and leave then bread crumbs from the street right to the prize's.
    Teach kids to keep their yaps shut about stuff you have or just purchased.

skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    FWIW, I've had my SimpliSafe system for about a year and a half and couldn't be happier with it.
    Simple installation, totally wireless, no phone line needed, and fast response time when an alarm goes off.
    You could alarm the garage door if you wanted.

2nd this. Love my Simplisafe system. My garage door has an entry sensor on it as well. If for some reason it were to be left open it tells you on the keypad. I had a connectivity problem right out of the box, but tech support was able to correct it remotely the same day. My only gripe would be that the sirens aren't as loud as I'd like. I ordered 2 of them, but have been thinking about adding another.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    2nd this. Love my Simplisafe system. My garage door has an entry sensor on it as well. If for some reason it were to be left open it tells you on the keypad. I had a connectivity problem right out of the box, but tech support was able to correct it remotely the same day. My only gripe would be that the sirens aren't as loud as I'd like. I ordered 2 of them, but have been thinking about adding another.

Where does the sound come from on the Simplisafe system? I hear there's a 30-second low beep from the keypad... but once the 30 seconds is up, it's supposed to be pretty loud from somewhere else, right?

I'm also moving one of the dogs to a more central area... able to see and hear the lower level much better.

I know this all turned out better than it could have... and we came out of it unharmed... but I almost wish this ended up being a self-defense story on the news. Still just filled with anger.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My nephew's truck was burgled in his driveway last week. The thief took only his Glock 22 and left everything else.

Sometimes the thief knows you or at least knows about you.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Force yourself to check the doors every night. When closing the door, make yourself wait till the door is shut, then count to 5, to make sure it doesn't pop back open.

I have water pipes in the garage, so I have to be careful not to leave the door open.

Also, look at some options on "Smart Home"

skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    Where does the sound come from on the Simplisafe system? I hear there's a 30-second low beep from the keypad... but once the 30 seconds is up, it's supposed to be pretty loud from somewhere else, right?

I'm also moving one of the dogs to a more central area... able to see and hear the lower level much better.

I know this all turned out better than it could have... and we came out of it unharmed... but I almost wish this ended up being a self-defense story on the news. Still just filled with anger.

It has a fairly low volume siren in the base station and stand alone sirens that you can mount wherever you'd like. The keypad and sirens will beep/chirp for a few seconds after it's tripped. Then all the sirens go off a few seconds later.

I'm no expert on the security cameras. We tried zmodo first, picture was pretty good. Had a camera fail within 2 days. They refused to replace the camera alone but offered to replace the entire system if we removed it and sent it in. Not a wireless system, so that wasn't going to happen. We switched to a Samsung. The video quality during the day isn't as good, but the night time quality is a little better. We used the zmodo wires to pull the Samsung wires through and sent it back to Amazon for a full refund.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Holy crap man!!

I double check the doors every night. Several times I have found things unlocked :-( This reminds me that my efforts are worth it. Glad you guys are safe. Things could have turned out so much differently.

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    You are probably right about canceling your homeowners insurance. A friend of mine went through this last year. Had a policy with the same company for eons and claimed some storm damage to the tune of 4-5K. 6 mos later he made a claim for a 1K stolen gun. The company dropped him and he had a heck of a time finding a new insurer because he was now a bad risk. The premium increase from the new insurance would have covered the gun a couple times. I had a truck stolen from the front of the house full of tools. GS dog slept through it. Next time they just took the tools while the dog slept. My truck and company tools. Tools worth 4K each time. I almost lost my job. My house is lit light Stalag 17 and night and my retired neighbors are up all night people.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It has a fairly low volume siren in the base station and stand alone sirens that you can mount wherever you'd like. The keypad and sirens will beep/chirp for a few seconds after it's tripped. Then all the sirens go off a few seconds later.

I'm no expert on the security cameras. We tried zmodo first, picture was pretty good. Had a camera fail within 2 days. They refused to replace the camera alone but offered to replace the entire system if we removed it and sent it in. Not a wireless system, so that wasn't going to happen. We switched to a Samsung. The video quality during the day isn't as good, but the night time quality is a little better. We used the zmodo wires to pull the Samsung wires through and sent it back to Amazon for a full refund.

If you get the standard package, without the extra siren, how loud is it on its own?

Top Bottom