• SHTF barter material

• Total voters

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Guns, ammo and fresh water would be the last thing I would barter. If some other guy needs an item for simple survival - odds are you need it too.

Guns are off the table. Ammo is off the table.

My bartering will be done with luxury items that won't kill me in another's hands.

If I had gold or silver, I'd offload that as quickly as possible. It's heavy and tastes like crap. You can throw it at someone, but odds are they won't die. Great barter item.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Personally told to me by a German veteran who survived the post-WWII period in the Fatherland:

Tobacco
    Chocolate
    Alcohol
    Toilet paper

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Everyone seems to have a predetermined idea of what SHTF will be. A lot of these ideas come from the last zombie movie or show they've seen on TV. :rolleyes:

My theory is that a an adaptable plan, with contingencies, backed by multiple skill sets is the way to go. Bug out, bug in, water, food, fire, guns are all important but access to any of them can change in an instant, as can their need.

The hottest commodity cannot be pinned down. It might be your AR, it might be speaking Spanish.

daedrian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Brownsburg
    People will need water, but they probably won't think to try and barter for it. Your average person is going to want some kind of luxury item that makes the whole situation go away for a little while. Like a twinky in the movie Zombieland. I would have to say most people are going to want the alcohol despite that fact that will do nothing but lessen their ability to survive.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    People will need water, but they probably won't think to try and barter for it. Your average person is going to want some kind of luxury item that makes the whole situation go away for a little while. Like a twinky in the movie Zombieland. I would have to say most people are going to want the alcohol despite that fact that will do nothing but lessen their ability to survive.
    Don't discount the medicinal value of having something like Alcohol to reduce Stresses...

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Questions like this are so vague they are impossible to answer.... You would need to know soooo much more information to make an educated guess.

Is this day 5 or day 3000? Where are we and how bad are things? etc... etc...

On day 5... water, precious metals, hygenic materials and tobacco would probably be high in demand. On day 60 (when reality sets in that no one is gonna help and its fend for yourself)... fuel, guns and ammo are likely going to go up in demand.

On day 3000, more than likely everything listed will be givens and precious metal might not be worth squat. Fuel might be really high in demand, but things like seeds and tools will go up quickly as people try to reassemble society?

There are just too many unknown variables to know for sure

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Skills rule.

I will pull that tooth for 10 chickens.

I will weld that for X

I will fix that car for X

I will provide security while you harvest for an x share of the crops.

List goes on and on.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Beer. I read that during Katrina, beer was the number 1 most valuable and sought-after barter item.

Why? My guess is that people knew help was coming, but didn't know how long it would take, so they figured to wait it out. They figured it would be easier to do while sipping beer. Of course, they probably weren't thinking about how to keep it cold, or else they didn't care!

Unfortunately, I drink beer so rarely, that I almost never have any in the house.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Beer. I read that during Katrina, beer was the number 1 most valuable and sought-after barter item.

Why? My guess is that people knew help was coming, but didn't know how long it would take, so they figured to wait it out. They figured it would be easier to do while sipping beer. Of course, they probably weren't thinking about how to keep it cold, or else they didn't care!

Unfortunately, I drink beer so rarely, that I almost never have any in the house.
    Keeping the Beer Cold down there was easy. Just put it in the water...

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Go for the addictions.

Tobacco
    Alcohol
    Maybe prescription pain meds
    Meth
    Pot
    Chocolate (in my case)

If they can't grow or make their own, they will gladly trade for yours. They may want food/water, but they NEED to feed the monkey on their back. The problem is, if they know you have it, but can't trade for it, they may try something rash to get it. So the lower end of the spectrum (tobacco, alcohol, chocolate) might be safer in the long run.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Personally told to me by a German veteran who survived the post-WWII period in the Fatherland:

Tobacco
    Chocolate
    Alcohol
    Toilet paper

These sound like excellent suggestions. I think feeding peoples addictions will help you get what you want easier. The TP is needed by everyone but there are other things you could use if you had to.

People will smoke, eat and drink themselves to death because of their addictions. Heck yeah they will trade you for stuff if you have these items.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I did not select gun/ammo, because I would not plan on trading those with anyone I'm not familiar with and trust. Nothing like getting shot with the ammo or gun you used to own.

Top Bottom