• SHTF barter material

• Total voters

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    Alright INGO.... Which of these items do you believe would/will be the hottest barter commodity in any SHTF situation?? Precious metals, hygenic material, guns/ammo, fuel, alcohol/tobacco, fresh water...... Multiple choices are fine as well....

KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS POLL IS FOR BARTERING ITEMS, NOT NECESSITY!!

You have enough preps for food and fresh water and other material to last you and your family for quite a while.....

Last edited:

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    I choose hygenic material, because you need a gun now and then. You need to stay clean all the time. Guns can't save you from infections, rotten teeth, etc. (Note: all the above are crucial.)

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Everything on that list is viable, with the exception of "precious" metals. IMHO those are just a joke in a true SHTF survival situation. A waste of time and energy that would have been better spent on more ammo, more food, more water, more supplies, more seedstock, more medical, etc etc etc.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Wild game is still available and most natural freshwater sources are untainted..... Fresh water as barter being more of a convenience then a need

Eh? Even before industrialization and the chemical bath that flowed into various water sources people rarely drank water from streams, rivers, or anywhere that wasn't an underground well. Water is very easy to contaminate, and I wouldn't touch any easily accessible fresh water sources without a filter in hand.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Everything on that list is viable, with the exception of "precious" metals. IMHO those are just a joke in a true SHTF survival situation. A waste of time and energy that would have been better spent on more ammo, more food, more water, more supplies, more seedstock, more medical, etc etc etc.

I pretty much agree that they won't be terribly useful. I think that using smaller denominations could be useful for small transactions and large denominations make for great bribes.

The other argument for precious metals is for carrying wealth through to the other side, an ounce of gold will be more valuable when things return to normal than a lot of piled up preps.:dunno:

Either way I think that precious metals will be more valuable/used than guns/ammo. (I think that comment is almost a ban-able statement?

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    Since the OP states "any SHTF situation" my answer has to water, followed by hygenic material. However, unless it is a WROL scenario, I don't think bartering would come into play. For example, in a regional natural disaster such as a flood, earthquake, tornado, wild fire, etc., the Red Cross and many other agencies will provide assistance. IMHO it is only WROL that bartering would come into play. In that case I would choose weapons and ammo, because with weapons and ammo you at least have the ability to protect what you have and "acquire" eveything else. Otherwise, you can have a ton of water, food and medical supplies, but it will likely all be taken from you.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Water, food, hygiene, guns/ammo in that order. If the scenario is nature catastrophic then shelter will be high on the list. About everything in my BOB set up.
    Everyone's needs will be different except for the food/water items.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    We're talking BARTER material here. I have to say fuel as a barter item. I will share my food and water, alcohol and tobacco are a luxury even a barter situation, guns and ammo are NOT negotiable in SHTF times, hygenic materials are nice but as a barter item I don't think they'd be in dire need for barter goods.

Top Bottom