• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    My mom went into Union Hospital (Terre Haute) for surgery this week and they asked her if she owned any guns when she checked in. My wife was with her. Probably a good thing it wasn't me.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Ever been to a hospital where they treated you with respect?

As far as the hospital employees are concerned, no matter who you are, no matter what happened to you, you're simply a worthless lowlife who is there in an attempt to get pain meds. Nevermind the fact that a) you didn't ask for any, and b) you have broken bones/holes in you/etc..

They also love to staff them with spiteful women who know nothing of medical science while simultaneously professing to everyone they know that they are a font of knowledge when it comes to medicine. (receptionists are especially prone to this.) Note: not talking about the actual doctors/nurses here.

Only go to a hospital if you are literally about to die.

Last edited:

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    False. What ACA actually says is that the information can not be recorded. Anyone can ask, but it is not a required question and, as such, does not need to be answered.

Here's the text directly from the bill, emphasis mine.

‘‘(c) PROTECTION OF SECOND AMENDMENT GUN RIGHTS.—øAs
    added by section 10101(e)(2)¿
    ‘‘(1) WELLNESS AND PREVENTION PROGRAMS.—A wellness
    and health promotion activity implemented under subsection
    (a)(1)(D) may not require the disclosure or collection of any
    information relating to—
    ‘‘(A) the presence or storage of a lawfully-possessed
    firearm or ammunition in the residence or on the property
    of an individual; or
    ‘‘(B) the lawful use, possession, or storage of a firearm
    or ammunition by an individual.

‘‘(2) LIMITATION ON DATA COLLECTION.—None of the
    authorities provided to the Secretary under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or an amendment made by that
    Act shall be construed to authorize or may be used for the
    collection of any information
    relating to—
    ‘‘(A) the lawful ownership or possession of a firearm
    or ammunition;
    ‘‘(B) the lawful use of a firearm or ammunition; or
    ‘‘(C) the lawful storage of a firearm or ammunition.

‘‘(3) LIMITATION ON DATABASES OR DATA BANKS.—None of
    the authorities provided to the Secretary under the Patient
    Protection and Affordable Care Act or an amendment made
    by that Act shall be construed to authorize or may be used
    to maintain records of individual ownership or possession of
    a firearm or ammunition.

‘‘(4) LIMITATION ON DETERMINATION OF PREMIUM RATES OR
    ELIGIBILITY FOR HEALTH INSURANCE.—A premium rate may not
    be increased
    , health insurance coverage may not be denied,
    and a discount, rebate, or reward offered for participation in
    a wellness program may not be reduced or withheld
    under
    any health benefit plan issued pursuant to or in accordance
    with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or an
    amendment made by that Act on the basis of, or on reliance
    upon—
    or ammunition; or
    ‘‘(B) the lawful use or storage of a firearm or ammunition.

‘‘(5) LIMITATION ON DATA COLLECTION REQUIREMENTS FOR
    INDIVIDUALS.—No individual shall be required to disclose any
    information
    under any data collection activity authorized under
    the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or an amendment made by that Act relating to—
    or ammunition; or
    ‘‘(B) the lawful use, possession, or storage of a firearm
    or ammunition.

http://www.ncsl.org/documents/health/ppaca-consolidated.pdf

According to the official list, EO 16 states: Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

The doctors can choose to ask. It can not be required as a condition of medical care. If it is not required, it is not required that you answer.

The problem is they use the word, "may". The document should have been written, " a doctor SHALL not ....."

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Last year while I was getting a second opinion on a medical condition they asked me about smoking. While I quit smoking in 1985; I did not answer the question.

The nurse tracked me down & harangued me regarding the omitted response. I asked what did this have to do with here & now. She continued to press for a positive response & when I told her it had no bearing on this situation, she said she was answering the positive response on the form. When I complained to the MD he said it was "policy" & required because they accepted medicare.

I haven't been back.

It's probably also policy to treat any response other than "no" as "yes."

Which is why all the cute little snarky responses given here are a complete waste of time. They aren't doing anything other than confirming ownership. The correct answer is just a simple "no."

MrsTuesday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Pediatricians have been asking this question for years. I know the peds office we used briefly in '07 asked. My current one does not. However, I shall simply refuse to answer should they ask. Though I agree a "no" response is best, I have 6 children who will hear me lie, something I will not allow. Since I desire my children learn lying is never the answer and we must accept all consequences of our choices, I will refuse to answer, direct my children likewise and rely upon the graces of God for the rest.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    They have been doing this for quite some time. When we took my oldest for her first visit to the Pediatrician, the question of guns in the home came up early. My response was "I don't see where that info has anything to do with this MEDICAL exam." She said that they were supposed to ask, that my answer was fine. And that was the last time that I ever heard that question or one like it.

My wife is a nurse and has spent years working in the Emergency Room and we were talking a couple of weeks ago about the fact that they have for sometime now had to ask and record about cigarette smoking and they have to record BMI on all persons in the initial assessment interview. Her thinking is that somewhere down the line BMI will play a big part in how and what treatment you will get during your visit. Can you say: OBAMACARE ! ! ! !

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I like it. :):

Thanks.
    I just have a hard time with them stting themselves as a judge or expert.
    I do not offer advice on surgery.

If they are asking about "dangerous stuff", where are the questions on swimming pools and baseball bats?

And if they were to ask about other dangerous stuff, it's none of their business.
    When I get an oil change I don't get those questions.
    When I see a doc (or nurse), it is for a specific problem.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    It's probably also policy to treat any response other than "no" as "yes."

Which is why all the cute little snarky responses given here are a complete waste of time. They aren't doing anything other than confirming ownership. The correct answer is just a simple "no."

Unless you don't find it convenient to lie, in which case you might as well have a snarky response to it.

GGF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I've worked in a hospital for 30 years. Believe me when I tell you questions like this are just the begining.
    Wait until Obamacare kicks in full speed, I wonder what you'll have to say, do or pay for to get healthcare for you and your family.

I worry sometimes that government healthcare may be worse than them trying to restrict our gun rights.

GGF

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Dr./nurse: Do you own any guns?

Answer: (Looks around nervously) Why? Is there trouble? Am I safe here? Should I get one? Is there anyone here with one? Should you call the police? Is there anyone here to protect me? :rolleyes:

Or, simply: "No".

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Every time I see this topic come up it reminds me of a scene in the movie "Enemy of the State":

Robert Clayton Dean (Will Smith): I'll tell you what. Rachael, was my girlfriend in my second year of law school, we still remain in close contact, and we swap information from time to time.
    Blake (Will's co-worker): Did you have an affair with her 4 years ago?
    Robert Clayton Dean: Ever
    handjob.gif
    off in the shower, Brian? Ever had any homosexual :gheyhi: thoughts?
    Silverberg (Will's boss): Bob, that's...
    Robert Clayton Dean: [Interrupting] None of my f(:nono:)in' business! You're damn right it's not!!
    Not saying that I would reply using the exact wording from this scene...I just like how he put the inappropriate questioner on the defensive with equally inappropriate questions...

Last edited:

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I would tell them no despite the fact that I usually OC in doctors' offices. If they ask about it, I'll tell them it's not mine. :)

Last edited:

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Please understand that they would be FORCED to ask those questions. I doubt that any of them would choose to do it. (Well, not that many).

So, If an illegal - unConstitutional question is asked, I have no problem with telling a "fib".

Top Bottom