• ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    We have a hornet nest on our house, and I was hoping you could share your experiences with getting rid of hornet nests.

It's in an area where we go in and out the back door, and it's getting larger and they're getting to where they get upset if the screen door closes too hard.
    (PICTURE BELOW)

I DO have a bee suit, but it's not thick enough to block hornet stings.
    It's ALSO not big enough to be able to wear a sweatshirt and sweatpants inside it.
    WILL IT HELP to wear heavy clothes on the outside of the suit?

I've put a red filter over my flashlight and plan to spray the nest at night.

I'VE NEVER DONE THIS AND NEED TO KNOW HOW BADLY I'LL GET SWARMED BY THEM.

ANY advice to help keep me from getting the crap stung out of me will help greatly.

HornetNest1.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Maybe AJ Foyt can offer you some advice.

I'd spray it with some bifenthrin. It has residual efficacy but limited knock-down power. You didn't say what you were going to spray it with, but a decent backpack sprayer pumped well can hit that nest from 30 feet away.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I recommend one of the foaming wasp sprays. Like this one:

th-3607389802.jpg

Reviews of different brands:

I have used them and the foam keeps them in and returning wasps get stuck. I did not get swarmed. I have done this multiple times at job sites when I couldn't wait until an optimal time with no issue. Way better than the non-foaming type.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I usually burn them, but that is in tough spot to burn. We use to put rags on the end of like a 10' pole, wait until dark and soak rags with fuel oil and light.........them things come out and it looks like a fireworks show! Nothing but wings burning off and bees falling to ground.

In your case a boring can or 2 of killer spray.....the foam stuff, spray the hole until you are out of juice and run like hell!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I may not be the best person to give advice, I got over 50 stings brush hogging one time.

My solution was to coat the entire brush area with diesel and ignite, yeah I got the last laugh.

But I would seriously consider a power washer on a low setting with a 70/30 ratio of water to detergent. That will fix their wagon right quick and in a hurry.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Foaming spray. I replace cameras and the hornets and wasps love the poles and arms we use. The foams will spray 30 feet and sometime I still have to be on a lift to get within 30 feet. Mornings they seem to be most active but at dusk less. I normally just spray and then pray a little wait an hour and go In. And destroy the nest with a pair of nines. Sometimes I use a pole. I keep the spray around when installing the camera. I have been bitten twice this year. Sure it hurts a bit but I don’t get all wasps tend to bite over sting. Hornets are just nasty little bugs.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Use the foaming spray on the hole. That way as they empty the nest the rest of the hive has to go through the foam. Do it at night when the hive is all in there. Beware of the lookout posted up at the entrance, if it spots you they come out fast.

Brake cleaner works great, but once the can is empty, if there are anymore in the hive they can come out.

Once it's down, scrub it good. They rebuild in old locations because of the scent left behind. Brake/ Carb cleaner is good for removing the scent, but being on the house you may want to try something else as it could damage the paint.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Use the foaming spray on the hole. That way as they empty the nest the rest of the hive has to go through the foam. Do it at night when the hive is all in there. Beware of the lookout posted up at the entrance, if it spots you they come out fast.

Brake cleaner works great, but once the can is empty, if there are anymore in the hive they can come out.

Once it's down, scrub it good. They rebuild in old locations because of the scent left behind. Brake/ Carb cleaner is good for removing the scent, but being on the house you may want to try something else as it could damage the paint.
    is that really a Green Solution?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I recommend one of the foaming wasp sprays. Like this one:

View attachment 210223

Reviews of different brands:

I have used them and the foam keeps them in and returning wasps get stuck. I did not get swarmed. I have done this multiple times at job sites when I couldn't wait until an optimal time with no issue. Way better than the non-foaming type.
    Thanks for the info, I'll reconsider my choice .
    I had bought the stuff in the picture below from my local Lowes, but maybe it isn't the best choice.
    HornetSpray1.jpg

Top Bottom