Hopefully Carry at Purdue in the Future?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TVon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Thanks for the post! Sounds like folks up in West Lafayette are working hard.

This quote from the Purdue Police Chief got a big :rolleyes: out of me:

So, let's restrict everyone's rights and leave the good guys (and gals) defenseless, so your job is easier? Good grief.

With the restrictions in place, it's easier for the PUPD to figure out who the good guys and bad guys are ... The good guys are the ones laying around wounded and dead. I think the wounded and dead are providing a valuable service to the PUPD. :ingo:

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Interesting that the PUPD is incapable of determining GG vs BG, but no other officers are. I propose that LPD, WLPD, ISP, and the other area police agencies provide mandatory training to PUPD LEOs to address this deficiency.

While I understand that the good Senator is attempting to show that he is reasonable and willing to meet them halfway to address their concerns, he fails to realize that by compromising rights and conceding this point, he may actually get the bill passed, but will at the same time sow the seeds for "reasonable gun laws" (which is a codeword for "gun control".) These, admittedly, can be fought later, but are unlikely to be "allowed" to be removed. Given a choice of passing the bill with that limitation vs not passing it at all, I think this is the right move. Our rights should never have to be compromised, and it's a crying shame that the climate at an institute of higher education is so hostile to right-thinking people and the rights of all people to defend themselves.

Blessings,
    Bill

And just think, the good state government gave college police the go- ahead to act as police officers throughout the state. So if you are heading to Indy an a PUPD member is behind you on I-65 they can give you a speeding ticket

Homebrew

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    And just think, the good state government gave college police the go- ahead to act as police officers throughout the state. So if you are heading to Indy an a PUPD member is behind you on I-65 they can give you a speeding ticket

Really. That's crazy.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Yes, they can. Considering they go through ILEA also, just like other police officers, why not? (Do keep in mind that by state statute, they must either be in full uniform or must be driving a marked police vehicle, and since PUPD doesn't do take-homes, the only way that would happen is if they were already busy on some other task. Just sayin'...)

Blessings,
    Bill

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I went. went till nearly 8:30 before we started talking carry.

considering I had no laptop, an nearly dead iphone, and 3 hours to prepare, I'd say it went well. One girl was there who was actually in the dorm where the Virginia tech massacre originated. She cried. I tried not to be mean.

I really wish it was an open debate, the ten minutes of discussions made things difficult.

We are going back in two weeks, I will be assisting the committeemen that are further studying this topic, as terribly as I can.

They need help.

I will be going back with the gloves off. I am hoping to get approval to present on the topic.

I really think I need to find a way to bribe Kirk Freeman and liberty Sanders into getting involved.

side note, Bill of rights, I prefer less police to more. That is why the PUPD's ability to act off campus irks me.

TMU317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Indy
    Interesting that the PUPD is incapable of determining GG vs BG, but no other officers are. I propose that LPD, WLPD, ISP, and the other area police agencies provide mandatory training to PUPD LEOs to address this deficiency.

I posted in another thread earlier in reference to this, before I discovered this thread. Identifying GG vs BG in a situation like an active shooter incident is a legitimate concern for all LEOs, regardless of their employer. Since I do not know this particular LEO, I have no way of knowing his true intentions or beliefs on the issue. He could be stating he is against concealed carry on campus because he strongly opposes it, or he could be in a position where he has stated that he his in order to not oppose his employer. Regardless, I do know that some departments train their officers to use extreme caution when responding to such an incident in plain clothes for risk of being perceived as a threat by responding officers. If a responding officer arrives on scene to a report of an active shooter and observes a subject discharging and or pointing a firearm at another individual it is easy to imagine how the responding officer would see this person as a threat. If they are concerned enough to warn their fellow officers of this danger, I don't believe that just because an LEO passes this warning on to citizens that he/she is against a citizens right to carry a firearm.

I am simply pointing this out because I recognize that this is a valid concern for LEOs everywhere. I am in no way arguing that concealed carry should not be allowed on a college campus. I am a college student myself and find it completely idiotic that I do not have the right to carry my firearm on campus without risk of being expelled.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    The thing is that many shootings don't go on long enough to for the police to respond while the shooting is taking place. So it is not a concern. in the event that there is a movie style shoot out then they should be prepared in case an off duty officer responded. It should be pretty obvious, though I doubt a law abiding citizen will turn and shoot on a cop, this should aid in identifying a shooter.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    I live right next to campus! Wish i would have seen this post earlier as i was free all day! Keep me updated on any further meetings or if i can assist in any way!

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Jeremiah, thanks for going and thanks for giving us the run down. If I can help at all, I'm definitely willing to do so. If you have time, I'd like to know more about how the discussion went? Thanks

karodger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Northside Indy/Lafayette
    The exponent this morning is filled with this. The front page, opinions, letters to the editor... even the guy arguing "for" it in the opinions bothers me. You can tell he has no real belief in it. His argument is that we should stay "logical and leave the emotions at home". Oh and his main reason for it is to promote student diversity? How about it's my 2A right? Oh and the kid against it? 10 times worse. He made like 10 references to dirty harry... this isn't the movies kid. His argument is entirely based on the fact that college students are "erratic and irrational"... I'm sorry but when did his opinion of me affect my constitutional right to carry? Oh and the second half of his arguments? The police are there for a reason and that is why we have the blue alert boxes on every corner... If I'm mugged on campus at night(I wouldn't be there late any way but for arguments sake) at gun or knife point than I don't think I'll be making it to the blue box... and I stopped carry an LEO with me cause he got too heavy so I think I'll stick to my gun. I don't believe in his mace or taser idea. My gun is my tool of choice and I'd like to stick with it. I have been around firearms all my life, have my pink card, and am a law abiding citizen. I deserve 2 things, my rights and more respect than these ignorant fools are giving.

sorry bit of a rant but dang that felt good

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    For anyone that's interested, the exponent site has the article about the meeting last night. Im on my mobile so I don't want to post the mobile link, but the article is easy to find.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Agreed that the "pro-campus carry" article was extremely weak. Of all of the ways to try to bring a pro gun point across, why on earth would you go with "diversity." wow

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Does anyone know how "well trained" the police are? I was under the impression that they have a noteworthy incident rate with firearms, as well as fairly minimal pistol training. I was also under the impression that they don't shoot in a crowded enviroment, if at all possible. Simply becuase the risk of shooting an innocent by-stander is so great?

Scottka, and kardoger, can you both please write the exponent?

TMU317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Indy
    The thing is that many shootings don't go on long enough to for the police to respond while the shooting is taking place. So it is not a concern. in the event that there is a movie style shoot out then they should be prepared in case an off duty officer responded. It should be pretty obvious, though I doubt a law abiding citizen will turn and shoot on a cop, this should aid in identifying a shooter.

Yes, but I was referring to an active shooter incident in which an officer arrives on scene and it is still a very "active" situation. In this type of situation it IS a concern, for obvious reasons which I pointed out in my previous post. There have been many active shooter incidents in which responding officers arrive on scene and the BG is still shooting and still actively trying to kill people. I was not referring to any type of incident in which the BG tried to kill the GG and the GG eliminated the threat and it was all over in 30 seconds. If two people are exchanging gunfire as an officer arrives on scene, and neither one takes a shot at the officer, how then would the officer decide who the GG is and who the BG is and then react to eliminate the threat?

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    :n00b:The discussion was lulzy,every irrational fear, and argument was espoused, well all that could be anyhow inside of 30 minutes of discussion. I really think this decsion needs some more research, and some more student input.

the girl from virgina tech upset me, as I couldn't yell across the room, " if you would have had a gun you could have stoppped it after the first two people were killed"

defualting to opurdue risk managment, and PUPD:n00b::laugh::(:rolleyes::xmad::xmad::xmad::rolleyes::dunno::scratch::runaway::soapbox::wow::faint::bat::nailbite:, im not sure these smiley properly represent my feelings. but its worth a try.

Mainly all that came out were fears, these student senators don't know what they are talking about.

They are meeting again in 2 weeks. Please help me prepare. I gave Zach briggs about 60 pages of material yesterday to read. we need to educate these student senators, we also need to drum up support.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Yes, but I was referring to an active shooter incident in which an officer arrives on scene and it is still a very "active" situation. In this type of situation it IS a concern, for obvious reasons which I pointed out in my previous post. There have been many active shooter incidents in which responding officers arrive on scene and the BG is still shooting and still actively trying to kill people. I was not referring to any type of incident in which the BG tried to kill the GG and the GG eliminated the threat and it was all over in 30 seconds. If two people are exchanging gunfire as an officer arrives on scene, and neither one takes a shot at the officer, how then would the officer decide who the GG is and who the BG is and then react to eliminate the threat?

When has this evey been an issue off campus? PUPD response time is 2 minutes, how many shootings go on longer than that? think, please, let logic get in the way of emotion, call your local pd, or the indy metro pd, and ask how they would handle an active shooter at a colts game?

Top Bottom