• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sparkeymat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    DeMotte,IN
    I'm planning on making some steel targets soon. I have a lot of 1/4 and 1/2 inch steel plate laying around taking up space. They will only be used for handgun rounds so what I have will work. I'm looking for design ideas. I'm a certified welder so building them is no problem. If some one has plans for targets or knows were I can find some please let me know. Thanks

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    You really shouldn't make targets out of mild steel. You need to make it out of hardened steel, and you cannot weld it or you will ruin the temper.

If you don't know what you're doing, it's much safer to just buy targets.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I don't have any plan/designs laying around, but make sure you use AR 400 (AR500 is preferred) or better plate for your targets. You'll stand the possibility of punching thru anything less than that. If you need some pieces of the hardend plate, please let me know and I'll see what I can do on rounding up some scraps from work (ie 6"x6" up to 18"x18").

Though the swinging targets will dissipate much of the energy from the round, I would still suggest mounting the plate at a slight angle to deflect downward in effort to reduce richochetes (sp). I (personally) don't care to shoot steel at less than 25+ yds. YMMV. Also, as stated above, welding does change the characteristics of the steel (since your a cert welder I'm sure you understand this), it's wise to weld at a location that is not the intended impact location (for example, make welds at very top or bottom of the plate since the center will be the intended point of aim).

Last edited:

sparkeymat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    DeMotte,IN
    I am aware of the effects of welding on steel. My intintions were to place the welds to the sides far away from the intended point of impact. I was thinking if I hung the tragets off of chain I wouldn't need to angle them as much as they would absorbe a lot of the impact.

gunguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Shipshewana Gun Show / R Z Targets

I'm planning on making some steel plate targets for handgun shooting. I am a certified welder anh have a lot of 1/4 and 1/2 inch plate laying around. Does anyone have any plans or know of were I can find some? Nothing to fancy. I just need a basic design, preferibly swingers. Thanks in advance for the input.
    Go to the Shipshewana Gun Show this weekend (August 14-15) and talk to R & Z targets. He makes, sells and modifies a large selection and types of targets. I'm sure he can steer you in the right direction to do it correctly. I know the vendor tables are sold out, so it should be a decent show.

gunman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jasper Co.
    a local! i live right in fair oaks. i've slung a few together although hardened steel is more durable but 1/4" untreated will do fine for handguns (we've used 22-45acp, i'd recommend using standard target fmj's) you'll get dents n dings but nothing too bad, cor bons n such will take out quite a chunk and most rifles will punch right through it. made a 1/2 but haven't gotten a chance to use it yet but i imagine it will do fine for rifles. here is a simple sketch i made based on how i made mine and what i would've done differently, dimensions are up to you

target.jpg

66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    You need to check out bobcat steel. He is a member here but I can not remember his screen name. I bought some targets off of him for a good price. He also does shooting events different places where you can go try them out before you buy them. I went to the one in new castle and we never even dented one plate. There was probably 15 guys there shooting anything from 22's-8mm and every caliber handgun you can think of. He is a good guy to deal with also

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    What grade is the steel? If it is mild steel, I would take to the scrapyard, or find another use. I would consider using it if it is T1, but personally I recommend AR400 as a minimum for pistol and AR500 if you want to shoot everything you own at it.

I understand the desire to use what is laying around, but please understand the safety issues of shooting mild steel.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Chain and wood are not good materials to use when dealing with steel targets.

Unless you want to keep maintaining them.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    What grade is the steel? If it is mild steel, I would take to the scrapyard, or find another use. I would consider using it if it is T1, but personally I recommend AR400 as a minimum for pistol and AR500 if you want to shoot everything you own at it.

I understand the desire to use what is laying around, but please understand the safety issues of shooting mild steel.

I have been in the vicinity of homemade steel targets, don't understand your statement and would appreciate clarification. Mild steel with certain rifle rounds will just get a hole punched in it. For 22's, if it doesn't fall or spin the ricochets are terrible. How does using T1, AR400 or AR500 (I assume this is a heat treatment number?) minimize or change ricochets? Or better question, why do you recommend this?

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Chain and wood are not good materials to use when dealing with steel targets.

Unless you want to keep maintaining them.

What do you hang yours up with? I put two small pieces up at home with chain, I only shoot .22lr at them. Sure is fun! Opps copy right infringement!

Last edited:

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Credit for this idea goes to fellow Appleseeder " Yellow House Jake". He uses 5/8" garden hose to hang steel targets we use for our KD shooting. The hose allows the bullet to pass thru, without the damage you get when a chain link is hit. It also allows the plate to stop moving around after a hit, faster than chain. :ar15:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    What do you hang yours up with? I put two small pieces up at home with chain, I only shoot .22lr at them. Sure is fun! Opps copy right infringement!

Attach a u shaped piece of channel on the top of the target. Then it swings on the stands that I built.

I shoot large amounts of 223 7.62 and 308 at mine and the splatter destroys wood. Chains get shot in half.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I have been in the vicinity of homemade steel targets, don't understand your statement and would appreciate clarification. Mild steel with certain rifle rounds will just get a hole punched in it. For 22's, if it doesn't fall or spin the ricochets are terrible. How does using T1, AR400 or AR500 (I assume this is a heat treatment number?) minimize or change ricochets? Or better question, why do you recommend this?

At the end of the day you are after predictable bullet fragmentation. To achieve this you need steel that will maintain its surface integrity. Hardness of the steel determines how well it can shake off an impact. If the steel is not hard enough, the bullet will deform the steel. Once your surface is damaged you loose your predictability. Imperfections in the flatness of the surface are what causes richochets, not the act of shooting steel itself. For comparisons sake let us compare some brinell hardness ratings:

Mild steel (a36) has a rating of about 125
    T1 (a514) is about 230
    AR400 is 400 (what I would recommend as pistol min)
    AR500 is 500 (required for rifle rounds)

While there are harder steels out there, they are also more brittle and can shatter upon impact. All of the targets I currently offer are AR500, this way you can shoot them with anything in the safe.

Top Bottom